Alfa Romeo Forum banner

166 attention - at last!

1534 Views 11 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Scott1974T
As I've spent the last couple of years working on a Spider and then a 145 rolling restoration, the 166 hasn't been getting the attention she deserves... so I've decided to put that right over the last couple of months...

Here's some of the work I've done (or had done):

- Replace n/s front upper and lower arms ->
- Replace front ARB drop links
- Replace aircon compressor ->
- Oil and filter change
- Replace split inner CV boot, n/s
- Replace bonnet badge
- Strip glovebox paint gunk and respray - along with dashboard "triangle" in passenger footwell (turned out nicely!)
- Drill out sheared handbrake bracket bolt from o/s rear suspension arm, fit helicoil, and secure bracket with new bolt (didn't occur to me that those arms were hollow...)
- Replace upper engine stay ->
- Replace boot rubber seal
- Fix boot lock issue where lock won't catch ->
- Acquired replacement rear bumper and had it resprayed (following damage incurred in a hit and run car park incident :grumpy:)

Remaining work on the to-do list for February:

- Fit replacement rear bumper
- Replace camcover gaskets (both appear to be leaking)
- Replace both rear tyres
- Book car for MoT

Really pleased to have got all of these fixed in a relatively short space of time - they've been bugging me for months!

Onwards and upwards!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
673 Posts
Those camcover gaskets can be helped a little by a smear of rtv silicone on the corners and over the side nearest the cam belt. They tend to leak around these places rather often. I use a mm of high temp silicone, together with the gasket and that’s about it.

Good one, saving a 166.
Mine’s in the same pickle, doing its duties non stop while the rest of the cars get sorted but soon time for some more 166 love!

· Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re-painting the glovebox and dash... I forgot to take any "before" pictures, but the first image shows the glovebox cover stripped back to grey primer.

I used Plastikote grey primer, matt grey paint, and matt clear sealer.

Attachments

· Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
And here is the rear bumper swap. The damage wasn't too bad, but the bumper was cracked so I went for a second-hand replacement, which I had resprayed. The colour match is pretty decent, considering the paint shop sprayed it off the car. Splashed out on a new number plate, too!

The third pic shows the dirt trap revealed under the lamp clusters once the bumper is off... yuck

Attachments

· Registered
Alfa 166 Ti, Giulietta Veloce
557 Posts
The 17s are actually quite comfortable on the 166. I had 19s on my 159 and they were awful.

Reactions: Mufasa
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.