Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

My Alfa 166 3.0 V6 Superlusso manuel ASR sometimes disconnected with ASR light stuck on the dash and the wheels spin like mad in the snow which shows its not functioning. It sometimes disconnected while driving so I have to switch the engine off for a sec then start it and its back on for a few miles depends on the road surface. Whats the problem??? Sensor or diff?

Neil

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Neil,
Has it started during this bad weather?
If so, could be down to the slush and stuff building up around the wheels, causing the sensor to to mis-read.
My ASR light came on during wheel-spins on the ice. I now turn the ASR off on untreated roads, and drive off in 2nd gear to help prevent spinning starts...
PS: Mototech in Litherland has a diagnostic if that helps...

·
Registered
428 Posts
Similar prob with mine, but my light does not come on indicating a fault, it stays off but I get lots of wheelpsin etc. This only started with the bad weather prior to that it worked fine with the light flashing when ASR was working. I'm hoping its slush/crap etc around the sensor, and will check when weather improves a bit !!

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
For me it first came on in Germany, in the summer after about 500 miles on the motorway. Next time it was last year between Dublin and Belfast, after about 50 miles. Since then it happened a few times, randomly. Restarting the engine "fixed" it every time.

·
Registered
729 Posts
sounds silly but its often required to that the asr be switched off to get traction in the snow as the asr just cant handly it, as hazey says best bet is asr off and second gear dont even press the accelerator until the cars moving just feed the clutch out nice and easy.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Whilst on the subject of ASR....
Sometimes my VDC misbehaves, usually shortly after driving off from parking either half on the pavement/road or on an incline.. the VDC warning light (centre of rev counter) and the ASR warning lights appear.
If you stop and restart on level tarmac, all is okay afterwards..
Almost appears that the (bosch) giro gets confused by a not 'level' initial reading?? Am i on the right track or my usual madness??
Happy to report that when functioning the VDC does well to control the car in our current 'frozen britain' conditions..
Whilst on the subject of snow... As an aside.. my other tiny motor.. a smart (for local london journeys!) has benefited hugely from sticking on some winter tyres... Has anyone tried winters on their 166s?
Ciao JK

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've been driving with the ASR turned off lately. I think my dual mass flywheel is shot and when the ASR kicks in I get one heck of a vibration.

But today I was greeted by the ABS light so no ASR, no ABS and thankfully no problems driving. My boss got his 159 stuck in the work carpark though :)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Neil,
Has it started during this bad weather?
If so, could be down to the slush and stuff building up around the wheels, causing the sensor to to mis-read.
My ASR light came on during wheel-spins on the ice. I now turn the ASR off on untreated roads, and drive off in 2nd gear to help prevent spinning starts...
PS: Mototech in Litherland has a diagnostic if that helps...
Tony it was already happening before the weather but its 10 times worst now. The problem is the ASR wont switch off after the light come on. :confused: I have used second gear to move off but with help from a neighbour pushing me in that heavy thing out of the parking space :lol:

I guess it a sensor?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Tony it was already happening before the weather but its 10 times worst now. The problem is the ASR wont switch off after the light come on. :confused: I have used second gear to move off but with help from a neighbour pushing me in that heavy thing out of the parking space :lol:

I guess it a sensor?
Could well be the sensor, or a dodgy connection or switch along the way... Bobda could be your man to answer that question, as I know he had to renew his at some point - send him a PM.

If I'm correct in thinking, the ASR is switched off (or not working) when the dash light is illuminated... When it's not illuminated, all is well.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Could well be the sensor, or a dodgy connection or switch along the way... Bobda could be your man to answer that question, as I know he had to renew his at some point - send him a PM.

If I'm correct in thinking, the ASR is switched off (or not working) when the dash light is illuminated... When it's not illuminated, all is well.
Cheers. I have informed the guy who is interested coming to view the car on the 15th and he is not bothered about the issue so I rather leave it but if he doesn't want it then I'll PM Bobda or take it to Mototech. :)

God that car with ASR, Airbag light, Themostat and rear suspension issues....oh boy I miss the GTA :cry:

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Cheers. I have informed the guy who is interested coming to view the car on the 15th and he is not bothered about the issue so I rather leave it but if he doesn't want it then I'll PM Bobda or take it to Mototech. :)

God that car with ASR, Airbag light, Themostat and rear suspension issues....oh boy I miss the GTA :cry:
It's a 12 year old car - what d'ya expect? :)
Apart from the ASR (which has caused me no probs), Mototech has sorted all of the above in the last 12 months on my car, plus a clutch!

Swap you a Secento for yours? :thumbs:

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's a 12 year old car - what d'ya expect? :)
Apart from the ASR (which has caused me no probs), Mototech has sorted all of the above in the last 12 months on my car, plus a clutch!

Swap you a Secento for yours? :thumbs:
:lol: Yeah I know I expected it to give me a few issues when I first bought it and spent £500 on it straight away then when i come to decision to sell it it went from 1 issue to 4 or 5 issues! :rolleyes: Bloody Alfas but you forgive and love them again! :lol:

Seicento...erm add the Alfa too then I'll consider it :p:thumbs:

·
Registered
163 Posts
I had this too for a few days after having run the battery flat using my Webasto too much. Turned out to be the battery on its way out, so I have replaced it now. Huge thing by the way, 100 Ah! The ASR and ABS lights have fuxed themselves now and I can confirm the Alfa systems really work well in the snow with winter tyres on. I can floor it and just steer and the car simply follows the road like magic!

:)

·
Registered
761 Posts
Thread resurrection!

I now own the 166 Super that the OP was talking about, and the ASR issue is still present.

The light on the switch and the warning light on the instruments comes on, and won't go off when pressing the switch (note: when not exibiting the fault, the ASR can be disabled and enabled via the switch as normal). I've not managed to find any pattern as to when or why it's happening. It'll usually come on upon first start up, or within minutes of setting off, but yesterday I was half way to work before it randomly came on. Some times I can cure it by switching off the engine and restarting, and other times it'll take a few attempts.

One thing I have noticed, and wonder if it's related - when driving in a multi-storey car park with the window down, I have a rythmic "click-click" sound coming from the front os wheel. So it's "click-click........click-click.......click-click" when moving slowly. Seems worse with some sterring lock applied too. Don't think it's a failing CV joint as it's a very high-pitched click rather than a clonk. Not sure what the set-up is with regards to sensors etc for the ASR/ABS, but wonder if this clicking (which clearly indicates a fault with something) is the reason for my ASR fault.

·
Registered
258 Posts
The situation you describe is similar to my occasional ASR/VDC (yellow triangle) in centre of rev counter a few mins after start up... I reckon that it has something to do with they gyro sensor (under the rear seat squab) as it usually occurs when the car is started after its been parked on an incline (half parked on pavement/road)??? Strange i know.. but it happens infrequently so could also just be some kind of dirty connector...... I've never had it diagnosed or fault codes checked... so would be interested to hear of any solutions!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Mine's been playing up a bit in the cold weather. But there's a definite pattern to it - starting from dead cold my ASR will often be off and I can't switch it back on. When the car warms up a bit, it goes off.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Actually, to be fair, the colder weather is the only link to my pattern too. When I first bought it a month or so back it was doing it much less than it has in the last couple of weeks. Since the snow it's been doing it pretty much every start up. It's kept in an under ground car park most nights, so it's dry and not frozen up, but still pretty darned cold.

·
Registered
10,943 Posts
Thread resurrection!

I now own the 166 Super that the OP was talking about, and the ASR issue is still present.

The light on the switch and the warning light on the instruments comes on, and won't go off when pressing the switch (note: when not exibiting the fault, the ASR can be disabled and enabled via the switch as normal). I've not managed to find any pattern as to when or why it's happening. It'll usually come on upon first start up, or within minutes of setting off, but yesterday I was half way to work before it randomly came on. Some times I can cure it by switching off the engine and restarting, and other times it'll take a few attempts.

One thing I have noticed, and wonder if it's related - when driving in a multi-storey car park with the window down, I have a rythmic "click-click" sound coming from the front os wheel. So it's "click-click........click-click.......click-click" when moving slowly. Seems worse with some sterring lock applied too. Don't think it's a failing CV joint as it's a very high-pitched click rather than a clonk. Not sure what the set-up is with regards to sensors etc for the ASR/ABS, but wonder if this clicking (which clearly indicates a fault with something) is the reason for my ASR fault.
BINGO GLOOPY....I noticed this click click thing when pressing the brakes while stationary the other day.

Great forum this IF you know where to look or search with the right words.

Pomeo

·
Registered
761 Posts
Yours won't be the same problem I had then. Mine was due the NS driveshaft bolts being loose at the gearbox end. Re-tightened by the wonderful McLellans during a service and was no clicking after that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts