Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

similar to what I've read in some other threads here, my Alfa 166 3.0 super manual had a brief stint of foul smelling white smoke (reminded me of the overheated breakes) in the cabin - I stopped in panic, opened the bonnet - found nothing wrong with the engine, now aircon does not blow, the cabin still smells and the panel does not show any problems. My working theory is that the fan went.

Having read that getting to the fan is a complicated procedure and not being very good at DIY, I am loking for suggestions on where around Chertsey to look for help that will not break the bank. Any help appreciated and happy driving to all !

Peter

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
I have same problem one month ago, and found the cause of this problem is warm water tank leak.
gauss....was yours steam or smoke?Did your fan still work?

Have your parts arived yet?

Peter ..perhaps someone around chertsey can assist you...Whweres chertsey?

Pomeo

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
Oh I forgot, Peter, Welcome to the 166 burnt out fan club
It has an exclusive membership.Growing all the time too
Pomeo

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi gauss,

thanks for thr response. Did your smoke has a bad smell as well or was it more like steam, odourless ? Also, where did you get your leak fixed ?

Thanks,
Peter

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Pomeo,

many thanks for the welcome, this is one of these clubs where you wish you weren't a member :cheese:

Chertsey is junction 11 on M25 - near Addlestone, Weybridge, Woking - do you know of anyone around here that would do this ?

Thanks,
Peter

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
Peter, Gauss is in china....Just realised how time flies...fan problem October 2006 bought fan november 2007 still to do the job but it is only inconvenient not 166 stopping like a cambelt failure.

Pomeo

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Welcome to the 166 burnt out fan club..
Is that a club for Alfa 166 drivers whose ventilation fans have developed electrical faults and expired in smoke?
Or is it a club for exhausted enthusiasts whose love for their 166s is being tested by their cars' constant unreliability - i.e. the 166 burned-out fan club? :lol: :cheese: (sorry, I'll leave now..)

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
Is that a club for Alfa 166 drivers whose ventilation fans have developed electrical faults and expired in smoke?
Or is it a club for exhausted enthusiasts whose love for their 166s is being tested by their cars' constant unreliability - i.e. the 166 burned-out fan club? :lol: :cheese: (sorry, I'll leave now..)

:cheese: :cheese: :cheese:
Aye that good old english language...dont yee just luv it....triple meaning no matter waht you say...it aint what you say its the way that you say it......but ben why did you mention exhaust.....i feel pomeos is likely to go now you mentioned it in this thread AAAGH.

Pomeo

ps dont leave and whne are you getting your 166?:D

·
Registered
37 Posts
I too suffered from this - yesterday. Bad electrical smell - but aircon fan and venitaltion fan both still work.

When I popped the bonnet there was white smoke, coming from the RHS of the engine from around or under the cable junction box/coolant pipe.

Anyone have any thoughts on whether this is fan or warm water tank leak? (I presume warm water = radiator reserve).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Pomeo,

I'd love to save and wait for several years, but how do you handle condense on the inside of the windscreen in winter ? Even with the fan blowing at full, I sometimes had problems with clearing that out ...

Peter

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
It was difficult Peter but from the olden days when the bangers I could get as a student .......I recalled a dishtowel or teatowel....But once car is heated up with the window down a wee bit the hot air up to the windscreen and heated seat on......BUT we really haven't had a bad winter over the last few years....just miserable summers.

I only had to chnage the heat to the cold section twice this year...so more or less permanently on hot....Howver when I got Pomeo at first she had an overheating problem ,due to some philistine before me and I had the fan on at full pelt for 3 months...and at 86k that probably accelerated it failing.....so one day soon on a dry day.till then the trusty dish towel.

Pomeo

·
Registered
17 Posts
gauss....was yours steam or smoke?Did your fan still work?

Have your parts arived yet?

Peter ..perhaps someone around chertsey can assist you...Whweres chertsey?

Pomeo
Hi Pomeo, white smoke very much, but no bad smell, I off the car and wait about 20mins, and find the water level is almost empty, add water and everything ok.

the workshop guy checked and told the warm water tank leak cause that.

Yes the alternator and window regulator arrived, replaced ok, but it's very very hard to contact Laurence, sent many email to him for other parts, but never get reply. I guess he is in vacation again.:confused:

thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts