Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya lads,

My 166's Air Condition's compressor bearing has died (at least that's what I think). Not the inner one hopefully but the one off the pulley. Need to have it done before Thursday any tips much appreciated.
I'm just wondering can I have the pulley replaced or have to get rid of the whole compressor altogether?!

Thanks

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
As long as the clutch hasn't been damaged, replacing just the bearing itself isn't difficult with a few suitable tools.

Any honest A/C place should be able to do that as it's just a standard Sanden compressor. Most will probably just want to sell you a new one though, plus a re-gas of course :(

As I say, does assume no other damage though.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As long as the clutch hasn't been damaged, replacing just the bearing itself isn't difficult with a few suitable tools.

Any honest A/C place should be able to do that as it's just a standard Sanden compressor. Most will probably just want to sell you a new one though, plus a re-gas of course :(

As I say, does assume no other damage though.
Thanks, that's the thing!
Re-gassing, I'm ok with it cause it was running low anyway.
I rang few places locally cause even though it's not a huge job I won't be able to do it myself and it seems that since the labour is so dear here it may be actually cheaper or nearly same price to replace the whole thing. I'm not sure either if there has been any damage to compressor itself as you say.
Hopefully I'll have it sorted in the next two days. That whistling noise coming from under the bonnet is heartbreaking! ;-)

Appreciate your response Chris!

Cheers mate! ;-)

P.S.
Actually I have a decent place that deals with radiators, A/C etc. just been on the phone and lads have offered few pulleys to try out.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Good point re the labour costs....I DIY so tend to forget that aspect!..

Sounds like you may have a result though. One thing though, do make sure it's not an aux belt idler making the noise. Soon be obvious once the belt is off, just spin each component to find the noisy one.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have a same problem although my pulley bearing is gone, i cant even drive the car as it makes same sound like the bottom end was away to blow!
I took the a/c pump out - its possible without taking anything else of - apart from belt of course. I have orded secon hand pump and it turned up to be different. It looks like there is 2 kind of pumps and and my one is quite rare. Im searching for a pulley for a while now, no luck. So if you find any let me know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts