Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. The ABS warning light on my 2.5 166 has just come on . It first happened when I hit a small bump in the road but then went out next time I started the car. Then it came back on a few weeks ago and went out again for about a week before coming back on permanently. I've tested the ABS by braking hard on icy ground and can confirm that it doesn't work. Can anyone give me the best (cheapest??!!) procedure for locating the fault? Any help will be gratefully appreciated.........

·
Registered
10,889 Posts
Could be a dirty and sensor......

I'd start tho with checking fluid levels and topping them up!
:cheese::cheese::cheese:
yip withoot a dooot.

Watter in the skoosher will confuse the ecu and sort oot yer brakes...:lol:
Whit eshy means is yer brake fluid andy.
Although the handbrake light would be on all the time if the fluid was low unless ofcourse that is faulty too.

I learned mony mony years ago aff an auld inspector it never pays to assume.

wisdom and experience comes wie age and tried and tested experience.

IIRC the sensors send info to work oot the speed...was a long time ago tho..is your speedo ok.

Pomeo
NB never had a problem wie my 166 abs system but could be just muck on the sensors.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I've checked the fluid and the handbrake light and speedo are working OK. Pomeo, when you mention 'watter' (we say it that way in Newcastle too!!) are you saying water in the fluid could be the problem? Would be nice if all it needs is a quick bleed with some fresh juice!!

As for cleaning the sensors, the hex-head bolts holding them in look a bit rusty, seized and fragile - does anyone know a way of cleaning them without risking breaking these bolts???

Thanks again!!!

L

·
0 Posts
if the ABS light only is on then you have a sensor issue, you need diagnostics to work out which one. If both the ABS & Handbrake light are on you need to look at fuses

·
Registered
10,889 Posts
Thanks guys. I've checked the fluid and the handbrake light and speedo are working OK. Pomeo, when you mention 'watter' (we say it that way in Newcastle too!!) are you saying water in the fluid could be the problem? Would be nice if all it needs is a quick bleed with some fresh juice!!

As for cleaning the sensors, the hex-head bolts holding them in look a bit rusty, seized and fragile - does anyone know a way of cleaning them without risking breaking these bolts???

Thanks again!!!
Fraid Knott Andy;):D
Eye was rippin the knittin oot of eshys check fluids and should have been mair specific.

Tay bee honest eye never even thought of that BUTT its guid tay ken not only do you read what you read but have the wisdom and forsight to see what is also there.

Tis a long long time since I have had a Nookie Broon.:inlove::D IMHO Much better than the watter of life:vomit: Yip nut a reel Sotsman but eye day luv the right haggis.:D

As far as I know the sensors are extremely difficult to remove without damaging then.
I was thinking external influence ie crud on the sensor and careful cleaning may solve.

Haven't a scooby snack how they work and if a multimeter can check them out without having to remove guid wans by checking at the connector points under the bonnet and in the boot.easily located by following the sensor wire back to the connection and not taking a short circuit as eshy did and cut zee wire.:wow::tut:

Good luck with it.

Pomeo

PS laceys windae wiper are a wee bitty dodgy...Possibly carbon brushes in the motor...Anybudy ken if these can be got seperately.If No reply eye'll start anoffer fread.:cheese:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again everyone. I read something on the 164 forum about how I can check the sensors. Pomeo, I've got to admit I haven't had a 'Broon' for years - call meself a Geordie!!. We call it 'Dog' down here - divvent ask why cos I've nee idea!! I like a nice single malt to wreck, err I mean finish the night though.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Andy 166, I have the same problem! ABS and Handbrake light on, no Speedo....... I know this thread is ancient, but it's a long shot to get some advice!! thanks ;-)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts