Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo Giulia Super
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lost my job, so decided to spend some of the redundancy money to simplify the family fleet. We have a 2001 3l 166 and a 2000 Focus 1.6
There will be one new car, either a 2000 MiTo 1.4 TB, a 2011 Abarth 500 or a 2012 Giulietta 1.4 TB Turismo. Wife loves the Giulietta, so I guess it's decided :).

I drove a 1.6 "diseasal" Giulietta rental in the Pyrenees last year, and didn't like the engine at all, but I did like everything else.

Other than the
- water getting in
- old blue&me software version
- and the fuel flap
what should I check for?

What extras I'm going to miss the most, having only the basic Turismo model (I know the climate control and the heated leather will be missed), as it seems it doesn't even have a front foglight.

I know I won't enjoy the autobahn and the Nordschleife as much every 18 months as I did in the V6, but how easy is it to live with the 1.4 TB engine?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
39,149 Posts
The water does not actually get in. It's the other side of the seals!
The non Multiair 1.4 is probably ok and I think the DNA has less effect. There's no alarm/immobiliser on the UK Turismo which may affect insurance .

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo Giulia Super
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks cue2, I'll have to check that with my insurance company, it might be cheaper (and more sense) to install one than paying extra for the lack of it

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
I'd imagine that it might be a better financial transaction to go for perhaps a demonstrator lusso or older/ more used lusso than a turismo. Also, if you are looking at new there's a collezione model based on the turismo but with some extra bits in like blue&me and steering wheel controls 17" wheels for a little more. I do understand that sometimes that extra few £ are insurmountable though.

·
Registered
109 Posts
First of all, sorry to hear about your job. These are tough times.

I have the 1.4 TB. It was the one I could afford. The MA is about 4000€ more expensive here in Denmark. I've tried the MA, the QV and also the 1.6 diesel. If money wasn't an issue I would go with the QV, as most Alfa fans.

Anyway, the 1.4 120 hp is not bad at all. I tried the MA and the 1.4 back to back. To me they are not worlds apart, but of course the difference is noticeable. I actually think this engine is a little underrated. I drive it in D most of the time. It really has a nice torque, especially in D. I have also heard guys say, that it actuay performs around 135 hp, and that Alfa downplays it a bit because they want the leap to the MA to be bigger. I have no idea if it really performs this much.

I have also read a Danish review that said they got it to 217 km/h. Official max is 195.

All in all I would say go for it. I certainly love mine.

By the way, we also have a 105 hp version here en Denmark.

G

·
Did the same as you a couple of years ago; sold the 166 3.0 (plus two other italians) and got myself a 1.4 TB Giulietta to reduce car costs. It's used as a family car for six people, and it performs very well, even with four passengers and a boot packed with groceries. Still feels zippy at 1900+ kgs. Getting up to and keeping 110 km/h / 70 mph on the motorway is no problem, no matter how you load it. It's a little cramped compared to the very roomy 166, but I guess you already found that out.

I drove a 170 hp 1.4 MA at one point (demo car), and the differences from the 120 hp TB are negligible in daily driving. You will rarely find yourself wanting more power, but it does not come as effortlessly as with the mighty 3.0 of course.

If price is an issue, you can safely buy the TB and live with it. I don't know if the 105 hp diesel is available in the UK, but it's even cheaper. Never drove that one though.

For comparison, I paid £40,000 for my Turismo TB with climate control and a couple of other options. The basic QV was £64k then. Whatever you buy will be beyond cheap to me (and felixen) ;)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Exactly. We don't live in the most car friendly countries.

What I meant with 105 hp is actually also a petrol. I didn't mean the 105 diesel. I think the 105 petrol is the newest and cheapest version. At least it is here en Denmark. It has the same torque as the 120 hp version.

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
Exactly. We don't live in the most car friendly countries.

What I meant with 105 hp is actually also a petrol. I didn't mean the 105 diesel. I think the 105 petrol is the newest and cheapest version. At least it is here en Denmark. It has the same torque as the 120 hp version.
Isn't it the 1.4 multiair motor but without the turbo?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi, does it feel much better, quicker in D mode? I like the multiair but the 1.4tb is much more affordable to me as well, but I do wonder about the performance difference between the two

·
Registered
109 Posts
Can't comment that much on the difference as it has been 2 years since I tried the MA. But as far as I remember the difference isn't huge.

I do find my car a little sluggish in N. Definitely quicker in D mode :)

It has enough power for every day driving. Overtaking on the motorway is a breeze. No need to gear down.

·
Registered
585 Posts
For comparison, I paid £40,000 for my Turismo TB with climate control and a couple of other options. The basic QV was £64k then. Whatever you buy will be beyond cheap to me (and felixen) ;)
£64k for a QV????? :wow::wow:..... and i thought Cyprus was expensive!!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
I think the Mito uses a 105hp petrol engine but that is multiair without the turbo.

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
reading from the brochure, it looks like there are two 1.4 engines (105 and 120 hp, the latter also available with gas) with turbo (TB=turbo benzina), while the 170 hp 1.4 is turbo and multiair.

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
OK, just done a bit of research and I was wrong. There are 105bhp 1.4Tb versions available in some markets. I suppose the torque figure is what makes it worthwhile compared with the 1.4 multiair non-turbo. Interesting that it isn't listed in FPT engine catalogue though! I wonder if it is Euro4 & not Euro5 or perhaps the other way around & a replacement for the 120 Tb??

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo Giulia Super
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks very much for the posts, I learned a lot.
Obviously I'd go for the QV too, but I can't, for multiple reasons. First, there are _none_ in Ireland, have a look at carzone.ie or cbg.ie and you'll be shocked what limited options we have here. (Favourite example: Volvo C30 available in 1.6D, and that's it). Second, there is a very punitive road tax system in Ireland, I. e. for the 166 I pay ~1500 € per year.
I asked how does it feel to live with a basic spec Alfa, because after my first car I promised myself that my next car will not have blank buttons. My 166 has all the options ticked (phone, dsp, supersport alloys, Momo heated electric leather seats, xenons etc), and the Giulietta won't even have climate control... But I think it will make me to work harder to find a job:)

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
klapanciusz, private import from NI might be a better bet. The 170 MAir is lower road tax than the basic TB model (B/B1 rather than C), which might make it a better deal in the long run. Of course, then you'll have to pay VRT on the Irish market price of the car, even though there are only about five MultiAirs in the country to base this on :mad:.

All MultiAirs are either Lusso or Veloce spec, so there will be more "toys".

Climate Control is one that I'd try to keep, because it does save fuel (the AC is only on when needed, rather than all the time)

Oh, and there are at least two 1750s on Irish plates. Might be hard to get their owners to part with them, but they are here. One's 8C Red, the other's white, both Dublin registered.

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo Giulia Super
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The vrt is killing this option, it's about 3k extra on top of the asking price. I payed vrt on the 166 back then, and because that was the only one at the time in Ireland they had to get an expert in to value it. I payed over 5k VRT. The same expert wanted to write A L P H A on the logbook, and was quite upset when I asked him not to...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts