Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there, been a while since I've posted.
I've listed after a 156 GTA for years, but it looks as if the balloon's gone up on those (quite rightly, too, for what the car is). That means I'm considering a 166 3.2. - there's one on Auto Trader for a shade under five grand.
Obviously it's not going to be as hardcore as the 156, but how close does the 166 get in terms of thrills?
I presume q2/quaife diff, brakes, impeller and the other GTA essentials can be carried out - but are there any 166-specific issues I should be aware with over the 156 GTA?
The car I've found has done 93k miles and having looked around this forum I've spotted cars with much higher figures. At what mileage should I start to worry about rebuilds etc?

For full disclosure I'm the acting managing editor of Modern Classics magazine, but this isn't for a feature. Well, not yet...

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
I presume q2/quaife diff, brakes, impeller and the other GTA essentials can be carried out - but are there any 166-specific issues I should be aware with over the 156 GTA?
The late GTA 330mm Brembos won't swap to the 166.
166 V6 uses a 310mm disc with different calipers and a different wheel bolt PCD.
166 has 5x108mm PCD (GTA is 5x98mm).

The diff and GTV waterpump will fit though.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
They are already Brembo as std and bigger calipers than the 305mm GTA calipers.

Bigger can always be fitted. Always at a cost.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
here is a driving comparison.
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-164-andamp-166/115427-166-3-2-ti-v-156-gta-again.html

and one from me...although I now have a 85,000 mile Sportwagon GTA...http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-gta/803794-prs-156-gta-166-3-0-manual-comparison.html

though I don't have a 3.2 166.....Pomeo will know the difference between the 3.0 and the 3.2....bit more grunt I guess.

I have a 156 GTA and a 166 3.0. They both have q2 diffs and the 3.0 has a few extra horses from a remap.
They are very different cars. The 166 is relaxing...but can be driven hard and will respond if you ask of it (The GTA asks you).

The GTA is an animal in comparison...sounds better, not as comfortable, lairy performance but with the cultured Italian style.

You won't pay a lot more for a comparable GTA I wouldn't have thought. Though neither cars can be picked off the shelf...not that many about!

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
..a V6 166 with a couple of minor tweeks is a very special car i think. I'm really only realizing it now that mine is gone.. :(

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
That 3.2 166 has done the rounds on Autotrader/Ebay for a while now. Should it say Lusso on the front wings if it is a pure TI? Nice colour etc though but a bit steep on price for the mileage. Appreciate it's a rare beast though.

I wonder if it's a Lusso that's had the TI badges and bits added to it which would make it less desirable. I'd be interested to check the registration to clarify this. Has the steering wheel with volume controls etc which is a rarity....

·
Registered
492 Posts
Good check for TI status is the dash lighting. At night its all red on a TI, yellow on a lusso. Wheels/bagdes etc easy to add, all the dash bulbs less so...

I had a 166 3.2 lusso, lovely car, now have a 147GTA. 166 a more relaxed drive as you would expect, but still with the same busso driving characteristics.

Genuine 3.2TI is a super rare car though, there were only about 40 3.2's registered, including lusso's, so any 166 3.2, never mind a TI makes a 156 GTA look as common as a focus!

Good luck!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello all, thanks for your responses. I think I'll hold out for a 156 GTA. Great though the 166 is, it may be a bit too cosseting for what I plan to use it for (spirited driving).
Be great as a commuter car, however...

Hmmm...:devious:

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
..if you fast-forward this to around 3:12 you'll get a couple of minutes of a 3.0 166 following a 156 GTA (it gets a bit messy after that..! )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXJWsFdg6Uk

The 166 was a sportronic, so the 80mph 2nd gear meant it was way off the cam coming out of 2nd gear corners, but otherwise it was fun :)

A little further on we catch another 166. The shocks were completely goosed on that car as you can see.. that's where the "little tweeks" come in :)

Good luck with the GTA..!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts