Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive my lack of knowledge but is a 166 3.2 basically the equivalent of a GTA in std form power and drive train wise? I would guess the suspension might be a little bit softer.

Thanks

·
Registered
248 Posts
Alfa claimed GTA's had extra 10BHP (250) but in reality the 147 GTA, 156GTA, GTV 3.2 and GT 3.2 and 166 3.2 are all the same engines with same output.(allegedly) Very different cars in every other way though. 166 is a big lazy saloon with a bit of a sports bias but is definitely no track day star. The GTA is sports car so suspension, gear ratio's etc all different.

·
Registered
913 Posts
With some upgrades (solid flywheel conversion, Bilstein B6/B8 shocks, CF2 exhaust manifolds, braided brake hoses, sport brake pads, and of course Quaife diff) you can make 166 "sharper" to drive.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I have a 156 GTA and a 3.0 166. I also had a 3.0 GTV before. The GTV is more like the GTA (I.E sports car).

I believe the 3.2 166 is like the 3.0 166 with a bit more grunt....

My 3.0 166 has solid flywheel/gta clutch/quaife diff, and also eibach sports springs and koni fsd shocks (along with suspension overhaul and wheel re-alignment and engine re-map).

These upgrades I have found do improve the 166 but they do not make it into a sports car.....however, if push came to shove I'd keep the 166 over the GTA for its all round combination/compromise...! However, having said that, the GTA is a heck of a car....it amazes me that anyone would want to drive round on public roads with anything more than 250 bhp.....these 500bhp saloons with all their techno wizardry....when do you get to use that power? The GTA has to be kept on a leash 90% of the time.....the 166 is a happy compromise for public roads....and as **** said still needs a track to safely explore its full potential.

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
I hope to try at Castle Combe this September
The softer suspension may help with the bumpy track at Combe.
(it is VERY bumpy...)

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
..the brembo brakes on the V6s are pretty decent once they're fresh. I'm sure the original suspension setup was fine as well, but the 166 is old enough now that any cars still on their first set of shocks may roll a bit alright. Setups like the eibach/fsd combo work really well, and personally i think sitting down that little bit really helps the 166 use the complex suspension to best effect.

They're not a car you'd buy specifically as a track car by any means, but if you have one and you get the chance to bring it out on track you'll have a good time. They're calm and progressive, the steering is direct, the engine is gorgeous.. they don't dance at the limit like a 164, and they're not as raw and focused as a GTA, but they're also a really nice place to be on the journey home :)

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
Don't take any risks at Castle Combe though... Limited runoff before the tyre wall and no gravel traps at all...

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't take any risks at Castle Combe though... Limited runoff before the tyre wall and no gravel traps at all...
dont worry I won't, it's more the I did it that matters than the speed I did. Next month I have an audi r8 driving experience at thruxton thanks to my kids so i can go a bit faster.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts