Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Beautiful car but 166 fuel tank is 73 litres i know it would cost approx £80 to brim the tank and the car would guzzle the lot in 300-350 miles! At the moment 166's dont make financial sense! 12 months ago the car would have sold within days but no matter what the government tell us, the UK is in recession!!! I doubt it would sell at £6000.

Look at what is happening to the prices of 156 GTA's at the moment. You can pick one up for £6000 now. I think the value of the V6 Alfas has not yet reached the bottom im afraid! Painful but true! And yes I own one myself, a 2.5 and thats not exactly the last word in economy.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Re: 166 3.2 FL for sale in Norwich
Beautiful car but 166 fuel tank is 73 litres i know it would cost approx £80 to brim the tank and the car would guzzle the lot in 300-350 miles! At the moment 166's dont make financial sense! 12 months ago the car would have sold within days but no matter what the government tell us, the UK is in recession!!! I doubt it would sell at £6000.

Look at what is happening to the prices of 156 GTA's at the moment. You can pick one up for £6000 now. I think the value of the V6 Alfas has not yet reached the bottom im afraid! Painful but true! And yes I own one myself, a 2.5 and thats not exactly the last word in economy.
Yeah but if you just bought one secondhand then who gives a stuff about fuel economy. Life is too short to deny yourself a big engine.
:)

·
Registered
1,549 Posts

All true - spread the word, V6 Alfas cost £kkkkkks per month to run :D

The 3.0 & 3.2 are better than the 2.5 tho' - less pedalling required for same effect.

I have recently managed to find a way of averaging over 30 mpg on my work journeys (no school/uni kids has helped considerably for 6 weeks)

Still, If they took £6000 & no p/x, it will be better than £9000 & £3k px.

My V6 is worth (tops) £3k, so £2k trade & I am in business.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The way I look at it is at least the money spent is being enjoyed. Imagine if you bought a new Vectra and lost 4 grand in a year in depreciation and still had to look at that every morning. (How depressing)
:)

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
Best colour for a 166 !

·
Registered
492 Posts
This is my old car. It does indeed look very nice, i still have a picture of it as a screen saver at work!
I bought it off Desira in march. To cut a long story, short the reason it went back to them (with a full refund to me and a huge rap on the knuckles from trading standards) was that i was told that it was to have the belts 'changed' before i picked it up. I had put a deposit down at the end of feb and picked it up at the end of march as the original owner was allegedly still driving it while waiting for his new 159. In fact the belt had snapped on the original owner at 51K (probably in jan) and top end was rebuilt, 2k of work. Car drove fine but once i found out it soured the experience for me, it may well be perfect and indeed many V6's have had snapped belts susequently repaired with no apparent issues. I had also purchased a 3 year extended warranty (until march '11) which i believe is still in force. Anyone interested in it ask away, it is still a 3.2 166 after all :thumbs:

·
Registered
498 Posts
:wow:
Another heart warming story about our favourite dealer in the East.
How and when did you actually find out the full story, Gareth?
Still looks a fantastic car, and a reasonable buy, and I guess the extended warranty would go some way to dispelling doubts...I think this little bit of history might put me off though.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is my old car.
Ah, I thought I remembered this being for sale in Norwich before. It appeared just after I had returned to Germany around March. I'd only been a few miles from Norwich and would have gone for a look. With or without the cambelt problem, though, it's a good couple of grand too much in the current market conditions. It doesn't have the full spec (Nav, Phone, Sunroof etc.) either, does it?

·
Registered
492 Posts
I found out by chance, i'd phoned the dealer a few months into my ownership to check what grade of oil they'd put in at the previous service, as i needed a top up. The handbook says either semi of fully synthetic. While the info was up on the computer i asked the nice lady what else had been done recently, just out of interest. The rest is history. I even managed to disguise my shocked voice :rant: to ask for the internal receipt from workshop to sales, detailing what was changed (Alfa Romeo footed the bill by the way, NOT Desira as the car had FSH when it snapped, so they didn't even pay for the cambelt change in reality!:tut: ).

The car is standard apart from heated seats, no nav/phone or sunroof. I wasn't bothered about the nav/phone as 98% of the time i know where i'm going and i have a tomtom but i would have liked a sunroof. Waiting for one with a sunroof though would be like waiting to see Gordon Brown and Alistair Darling doing doughnuts outside Downing street in 8C's.

The price it is up for now is exactly what i paid, £8980. They were trying to get £9980 (i presume to recover the £999 i paid for the 3 year warranty, which i got back aswell). What are they worth now, who knows? Number for sale, one, this one. Its still a v.rare car and early GTA's seem to have bottomed out at about 6k since the recent drops. These are 02/03 cars though and not as rare (or good looking imho). My plan was to keep it 3 years min. so the most i could have lost was 3k a year, even giving it away. Fuel and tax in 3 years though is an unknown.......

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fuel and tax in 3 years though is an unknown.......
Well, the third year is unknown but it'll be £455 in a couple of years! Wouldn't mind it but there's no way it's worth £9K. 25mpg, high tax, 4 years old and an Alfa? I'd be surprised if they moved it at the moment, despite the rarity.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I don't see how it can be worth as much as i paid for it in march. I bought it before that fateful tax grabbing budget (although there is still a glimmer of hope they may backtrack on the retrospective element) and fuel price rises, which have fallen back a bit now. Problem now, apart from fuel/tax, is that average joe's mind has been turned almost totally against big engined cars and this has made it v.difficult to sell such cars although 166's could be less badly hit than volume cars like bmw/merc/audi etc due only to their rarity. Also average joe never bought 166's anyway, totally off their radar. Or that could be nonsense and there will be no 166's on the road within 5 years as they will all be scrapped, which would be a great shame. Still if you bought a new 159 diesel for 23k to 'go green' i'm sure you'd lose more than £8980 in 3 years........

One thing to remember though for any potential buyer is the next service is the 60k and sometime in the next year or two it may need some expensive consumables, clutch/brakes/suspension/exhaust

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't see how it can be worth as much as i paid for it in march.
Exactly. They're obviously playing on the rarity factor but it must be worth a fair bit less now and, as you mentioned, it'll be due some expensive parts quite soon.

Problem now, apart from fuel/tax, is that average joe's mind has been turned almost totally against big engined cars
And it's likely to get worse in another 12 months, IMO. Can't see any way in which demand for big secondhand cars will increase from here on!

Still if you bought a new 159 diesel for 23k to 'go green' i'm sure you'd lose more than £8980 in 3 years........
Very true. Also, it's economic nonsence to spend a lot of money on a newer car, purely thinking of the fuel (or tax) 'saving'. Even though my Super uses a lot of fuel, keeping it is still by far the cheapest option.

If I spent £15K on something newer and with much better fuel economy - let's say half the consumption (50mpg) - it would 'only' save me around £1K per year in fuel (based on 10K miles per year). So, I'd be saving money sometime around 2023 :lol:

1 - 20 of 66 Posts