Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone

I'm about to buy a 166 3.0 V6 Sportronic (bankruptcy very soon :cheese: )

it's a 2002y , .

Q1: dashboard : I noticed that the leds (PNRD) are red and not green as all of the 166s I've seen before. :confused:

Q2 : is the sportronic gearbox reliable ?

Q3 : any known issues on that model ?

Thank you in advance ;)

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
Hey everyone

I'm about to buy a 166 3.0 V6 Sportronic (bankruptcy very soon :cheese: )

it's a 2002y , .

Q1: dashboard : I noticed that the leds (PNRD) are red and not green as all of the 166s I've seen before. :confused:

Q2 : is the sportronic gearbox reliable ?

Q3 : any known issues on that model ?

Thank you in advance ;)
You jammy dodger Lovalfa...by being in Morocco IE outside the UK youll escape the massive ABOVE ROCKET INFLATION of the road tax...around £315 from Mar/Apr next year and £440 the following year

so get out on the highways and enjoys..ps have you good road s in morrocco to burn up?

Pomeo

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's a list, but we love them anyway ! :lol:
I know :lol: ... actually it's a matter of the availibility of spare parts in morocco. so this list will be crucial for my final decison ;)

You jammy dodger Lovalfa...by being in Morocco IE outside the UK youll escape the massive ABOVE ROCKET INFLATION of the road tax...around £315 from Mar/Apr next year and £440 the following year

so get out on the highways and enjoys..ps have you good road s in morrocco to burn up?

Pomeo
:thumbs:

Yes I know... my only concern is the gas price in here... around 1 euro :cry: ...

Yes we do have some good roads, good enough to see my license drive gone in few rides :thumbs:

any idea on the leds color on dashboard ? is that linked to the fact that the car has may be the "sport pack" chassis since I noticed that the suspensions are a bit low ? :confused:

I have another option ... a 2003' 156 2,4JTD 150PS :wow:

Thx

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
any idea on the leds color on dashboard ? is that linked to the fact that the car has may be the "sport pack" chassis since I noticed that the suspensions are a bit low ? :confused:

Thx
Not sure..It could be ..I know that you can but different coloured bulbs for the dash.

Pomeo

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Are there leds on the dash showing the PNRD? I have a 2001 Sportronic, but it only displays the letters in the dash, and the green and amber leds illuminated beside the seats. or are you talking about the control lights on the dash, like cruise control, oil, handbrake, etc?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Strange - UK spec 166s have LCD display, not tacky LED, weird.
Autobox is generally reliable, would recoomend oil change at 50K plus - no oil however good is "for life"
The same box is fitted to Pugs and Citroens and a variation of it to BMWs

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Love my old V6's.

Do I miss it?

Less and less. The 2.4 JTD 150 bhp is fantastic. Remapped, it's awesome, still 40 plus mpg and a rocket ship! Sounds great too, gave daughter and friend a lift to town last weekend and she said my car sounds like a sports car!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HxpxM1WVaUg

Aesthetically though, the V6 wins hands down!

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
I would have said that this time yestarday however I got a lift in a Remapped 2.4 JTD with Q2. Its a very very nice set up! (Still prefer the V6 though)
Doesn't sound the same though !

Stood next to JonSpidermans JTD Spider when he started it !! :lol: One of the comments at the time was "That's a shame" :lol:

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Doesn't sound the same though !

Stood next to JonSpidermans JTD Spider when he started it !! :lol: One of the comments at the time was "That's a shame" :lol:
:rolleyes: thats not the 2.4 150 bhp though is it? :rolleyes:

You have to face it sometime, the V6 is gone. The modern JTD's are excellent engines and if performance is what you want then it's a no brainer. I do love the V6 noise but the sound issue is so over rated. It's outside it sounds the best and who can benifit that when you are driving? (with your stereo on). Performance everytime for me.

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
You have to face it sometime, the V6 is gone. The modern JTD's are excellent engines and if performance is what you want then it's a no brainer. I do love the V6 noise but the sound issue is so over rated. It's outside it sounds the best and who can benifit that when you are driving? (with your stereo on). Performance everytime for me.
Keep telling yourself that Mitch !! How is the diesel going ?? :lol:

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have found cornerering more difficult driving turbo diesels. I find it much harder to balance the car using the throttle. It's a bit on or off. This may be something you get used to but owning an Alfa V6 is a must at some point in your life.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Most of us here aren't in the 166 driving seat for that reason!
Don't believe that Stu, Alfa and performance go hand in hand

Keep telling yourself that Mitch !! How is the diesel going ?? :lol:
It's going great thank you! One day you may take the blinkers off and find out how good the JTDs are as they fly past you!

I have found cornerering more difficult driving turbo diesels. I find it much harder to balance the car using the throttle. It's a bit on or off. This may be something you get used to but owning an Alfa V6 is a must at some point in your life.
It is a different drive, no doubt about it, you have to keep the turbo spinning!! Agreed, all Alfisti should experiance that wonderful engine at some point.

I don't think I am getting across what I want to say. If it was 1999 again i would be buying the 166 V6 again. If Alfa had sold the 166 JTD here i would be driving one now. However, with the tax, servicing costs and of course 22 mpg, I had to go for something else. IMHO the new JTDs are better than the petrols if you want performance and economy. A JTD driver can spend as little as £120 on a remap and get a real rocket ship, you cannot get that in a petrol or an average 0f 40 plus mpg with "spirited" driving. I look forward with interest to see what you lot change to when change time comes :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts