Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started the car on monday and from nowhere there is a 'whirring or whining noise' coming from the engine. Car starts fine, tickover is fine, drives fine no misfiring. Noise gets worse when accelerating and dies down when just rolling along. Have made a point of not using the car for the last couple of days as off on holiday next week (not in the car) and dont wont to have a problem before I go, also the weather is awful and no fun driving a the moment. I intend to have it checked out as soon as I get back but can anybody give me an indication as to what this noise may be.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
manual or auto?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Could be something on the auxillary belt line - tensioner/pulley.

I had the same on my 145, was one of the above so replaced all and belt. Had only been replaced 14,000 miles before as well!

Can you whip the aux belt off and see if the noise goes?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car is a manual. My initial thought was that it sounded like the noise you used to get from an old car
when the belt slipped so the aux belt could well be it. Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Check the aux belt for sure. Had similar but intermittant sound, ended up aux belt went and threw bits into cambelt and bent just a few valves.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Water pump?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
This has just happened to me, at first I thought it was just the aux belt & tensioners, but it was water pump failure

·
Registered
741 Posts
wow :eek:

How did you diagnose it? No water returning to expansion tank? Cold hoses? Rapid overheating?

·
Registered
10,943 Posts
Lemon entry my dear rob... Get Sherlock Bones on the case.

:cheese::cheese::cheese:

Happenned to me the other day in Lacey.
Pomeo still covered in permafrost.
Went to pick up baby P from the high skool.:)

Sitting with engine ticking over to keep the cauld oot..-5 ootside at 1500 hrs...Baltic man.:lol:
Heard this grating sound..Firdst thought AWE NAW NO THE FAN...switched off CC system..Wisnae the fan.:wow:..Switched off the engine....the sound still there.....AARGH...What could it be....Leant down to locate the sound and then I saw the cause....Hidden by the rear view mirror ... high up on scaffloding across the road was a guy wie an angle gringer grinding away:tut: at -5 in the afternoon....Boy was I relieved.:cheese:

Then I drive off and what do I hear... a sound reminiscent of terry wogan and les dawson and the guy wie the wee dug.....Blankety blank blankety blank blanketty blank.......BUT was more of a clunkety klunk clunkety clunk clunkety klunk.....I recon its the cvjoint clattering.

Too cauld to see so wee journeys only to keep the rest going till the thaw comes.

Pomeo

We should all be grateful that they are 166's and no Mito's:)

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
wow :eek:

How did you diagnose it? No water returning to expansion tank? Cold hoses? Rapid overheating?
Rob, if that was meant for me, I didn't! After looking through the forum I thought it was aux belt & tensioners, had it replaced, & it was still doing it, left it at garage for further inspection & pump failed, plastic impeller broke

·
Registered
741 Posts
Rob, if that was meant for me, I didn't! After looking through the forum I thought it was aux belt & tensioners, had it replaced, & it was still doing it, left it at garage for further inspection & pump failed, plastic impeller broke
Glad to hear yours is now in tip top health. Notice any change in the running temperature, esp in traffic? Was you fan often cutting in?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Rob, my car wasn't quite tip top health as of recently!

The water pump broke in September, during a 7 & a half hour, 350 mile round trip t Ipswich & back diverting through London. Took to garage had pump, cambelt, tensioners & engine stabilser done. Clutch bearing gave up on me in December so took to garage, had annual service, which has included 2 new tyres, discs & pads, replaced clutch (done as less than 1 year/9000 miles old) & the main issue was rear oil seals leaking. I was meant to pick it up today but my driveway has far too much snow on it, so the garage have very kindly let me pick it up next weekend if the weather is better, but I am missing it....

·
Registered
741 Posts
Wow :eek:
Bad luck man. Did the clutch bearing fry current clutch? Was the bearing replaced last time?

Might be worth checking with company who fitted last clutch, as bearing is usually done at same time as clutch. Often adds £30 to the cost but ...........

·
Registered
916 Posts
No noise at idle, but high pitched whine starts suddenly as revs increase? Could well be water pump failure; the noise is the sound of the plastic impellor spinning on the knurled shaft. You may find that the point at which the noise starts gets lower down the rev range as the plastic wears away; eventually the impellor will stop turning altogether, the noise will disappear, and the engine will overheat. This noise is a warning to get the car looked at ASAP.

·
Registered
741 Posts
What about DIY job here on ebay for bargain £71 delivered?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts