Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
10,943 Posts
Ha ha - I'm the same! I spent £450 on a service before I sold my blue Zendered one, which wasn't necessary but ensured the car was perfect for the new owner. I guess that's one of the reasons why someone travelled 400 miles to buy it.

Guess I am like ewe guys too. LOL. I even polished the chrome pipes that BIG JC went to great pains to point out that when it breaks doon and ewe lift the bunnet:biglaugh: Even although pre facies and 164's huv them.

A pound a MILE.that's my general rule of thumb too Scotty butt for TIa broke the bank and went a pound a cc for a laf and I wun as 2nd bidder. Winner renaged. FOOL. to great pains to point out that when it breaks doon and ewe lift the bunnet:biglaugh:

Butt I'd expect the full belt and braces service for that 450 and a full tank of fuel included from empty..

Pomeo

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Butt I'd expect the full belt and braces service for that 450 and a full tank of fuel included from empty..

Pomeo
Budget £650 for that service and ye'll no be disappointed. Fuel is £70 extra.

You fixed that poor car yet? Cannae believe ye neglected a Ti. The rarest of rare, the holygrail. Tut tut. :depressed:

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Its such a shame I guess. Ive got the skills learnt over the last 15 years from running old cars to keep them going cheaply.

Fitted lpg to a few to keep big engines economical as I dislike diesels.

I keep looking at 166 as they are huge bargains.

This week I did just yesterday wishbones arb drop links and track rod ends on my brothers megane. Then replaced pads and discs on my own 147. Then moved on to replacing a spring on my dads bmw.

That was yesterday. I work in an office but anything mechanical is a hobby.

I offered to complete alfaatlast cambelt on his 166 for taking me out.

So again I can keep the big cars going. I just need to find a decent example at the right price. One that needs work is fine by me as I can bring it up to spec.

I always think my 147 is a bit if a shed but the mechanicals are top on my list and because of that although nit the prettiest drives like a car half its 150k mileage.

oh I also had a 156 2.5 v6 as it seemed the cheapest way to get a busso.
but they are unloved. Such a shame.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Its such a shame I guess. Ive got the skills learnt over the last 15 years from running old cars to keep them going cheaply.

Fitted lpg to a few to keep big engines economical as I dislike diesels.

I keep looking at 166 as they are huge bargains.

This week I did just yesterday wishbones arb drop links and track rod ends on my brothers megane. Then replaced pads and discs on my own 147. Then moved on to replacing a spring on my dads bmw.

That was yesterday. I work in an office but anything mechanical is a hobby.

I offered to complete alfaatlast cambelt on his 166 for taking me out.

So again I can keep the big cars going. I just need to find a decent example at the right price. One that needs work is fine by me as I can bring it up to spec.

I always think my 147 is a bit if a shed but the mechanicals are top on my list and because of that although nit the prettiest drives like a car half its 150k mileage.

oh I also had a 156 2.5 v6 as it seemed the cheapest way to get a busso.
but they are unloved. Such a shame.
if you'd be happy with a 2.5 166 there's three for sale at 500 to 750, all pretty tidy, lowish mileage fsh etc

Guess most people did like me and thought if you're paying for the v6 mpg you may as well have 3.0. Plus it's called "Super" so it must be better!

I have some skills, and lucky enough to have lots of room, I just don't have the time.
Children and a wife-controlled house diy list..!

Probably wouldn't do a cam belt, not likely to get a clear run at it, special tools required, high cost if I **** it up. involves some lying under the car..

The kit is 200 anyway, so 250 labour looks like a good deal to know it's been done properly, and avoid crawling... I might do more if i got a 2 post lift in the barn... ebay...

·
Registered
10,943 Posts
Budget £650 for that service and ye'll no be disappointed. Fuel is £70 extra.

You fixed that poor car yet? Cannae believe ye neglected a Ti. The rarest of rare, the holygrail. Tut tut. :depressed:
^%) oops 650 Aye right. That's what rich folk pay for beemers and mercs and poss sum alfa folk.:biglaugh:

Yup. TIa is gone great again.... Lucy booked in next dry day furra belts bearings and tensioner. defo nay mare Rusky Roulette fur moi. jist no wurf it.

Yupo. She dodged the Bridge of Death BIG Style.

Which is really guid as I huv a load of brand noo cosmetics TI stuff tay make hur look brand noo.

Jist that odometer light that is annoying me noo but I cannae remember where I pit those Imperial Allen Keys.

Pomeo

·
Registered
10,943 Posts
Think that car used to belong to someone on here - sadly I recognise the reggie plate!!!
I thought I recognised the plate too...Also the new siting for the facelift just to confuse the sheet oota me.

However Lacey was £2600 in 2006 and IF this goes for £1600 in 2015 then approx. depreciation of £100 a year means the tide had turned in 166 depreciation.

Pomeo

·
Registered
10,943 Posts
if you'd be happy with a 2.5 166 there's three for sale at 500 to 750, all pretty tidy, lowish mileage fsh etc
.. I might do more if i got a 2 post lift in the barn... ebay...
Alrighty, getting back to BIG JC's 166 facelift video...People go tay the south of France tay buy a bargain property when we have hunners here (Or wurds tay that effect) .

Why wait till its a BARN find wie mega wurks tay day. Buy it Now tay coin a phrase and get a guid motor bargain basement price.

IF ewe huv tay fink aboot it a 166 is no the caur fur ewe.

Pomeo

·
Registered
129 Posts
You're right of course,

the flipside of 'you'll never get back what you spend maintaining and improving it'
is
'better buying the best one you can afford'

I have 8k of bills from 2006 to 2012 for mine, which should make it a solid bet.
And I'd rather spend a few grand keeping something old going than buying a new box,

If you have to think about it, buy a 530..

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
God, so tempting to have it back but don't think I could go through the heartache of getting it back to a minter! I shouldn't be so damn fussy. It was my wedding car!

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Indeed I would buy it but it's too much for me at its current price.
The list of job's that need doing would be fairly simple. But I am also not a fan of the wood steering wheel. I know people love them. But I'd probably change it out.

But it would be easy enough to swap out.

The niggles at least listed. I'd also be interested in how loud the exhaust actually is. I do 20k a year so a drone on the motorway would be a bit annoying...

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Indeed I would buy it but it's too much for me at its current price.
The list of job's that need doing would be fairly simple. But I am also not a fan of the wood steering wheel. I know people love them. But I'd probably change it out.

But it would be easy enough to swap out.

The niggles at least listed. I'd also be interested in how loud the exhaust actually is. I do 20k a year so a drone on the motorway would be a bit annoying...
I put the steering wheel in as loved the look and feel. Very classy. I don't understand the exhaust situation. When I originally bought the car, it had a really loud stainless system on it that was falling apart. I then fitted it with a much nicer and quieter stainless system that still had a burble but nothing intrusive so god knows what happened to that. I don't think the guy who bought it off me knew what he was buying. I think he was a bit of a tinkerer and did some odd things to the car. He sold it on not long after he bought it from me for a silly price so perhaps there lays the problem. You need to know how to look after these old beasts! I would say it needs a grand spending on it to get it back to how I had it. The wheels were absolutely unmarked / unkerbed but now they are scuffed, so that's another £300 to sort. I just couldn't go back to it, knowing how lovely it was. Good that it's still on the road and has been used but a shame it hasn't been kept to the same condition as I did. As I say, I was very, very fussy.

I do seem to remember the PAS fluid was getting grey and grainy which may have suggested a slight rack leak somewhere. I've noticed the PAS fluid has been changed. A lot of strange faults developed so perhaps I sold it at the right time. Hope someone buys it for the right price and returns it to its former glory!

I keep my 75 and 159 in the same condition. One day, when I sell my 159, someone is going to get a very nice car!

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
I understand what you are saying. But so long as the mechanicals are okay and its not rotting away the rest I can deal with.

Changing a rack or pipes aren't a problem. An like I say the other niggles are just that. Sure if you had to pay labor then yes it becomes uneconomical.

But given I do work on car's myself and its a hobby I am sure I could bring it up to spec. I have friends in the trade and sorting the wheels wouldn't cost more than £80 for the lot anyway.

Anyway good luck with the sale. Its outside my budget for the work required.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I understand what you are saying. But so long as the mechanicals are okay and its not rotting away the rest I can deal with.

Changing a rack or pipes aren't a problem. An like I say the other niggles are just that. Sure if you had to pay labor then yes it becomes uneconomical.

But given I do work on car's myself and its a hobby I am sure I could bring it up to spec. I have friends in the trade and sorting the wheels wouldn't cost more than £80 for the lot anyway.

Anyway good luck with the sale. Its outside my budget for the work required.

Thanks Scotty, its nowhere near as bad as some may think, its still a good solid car underneath that with a little tlc can be great again. I would keep it if I wasn't buying a house imminently.
Also, the wheels are still pretty damn good!

Like I said, I am open to offers.

Cheers

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

·
Registered
129 Posts
Can I just say I find your comments quite unhelpful. I am not trying to be unrealistic or have one over on anyone, merely sell my car in an honest fashion.

This reminds me why I don't visit here too often.
You're right - sorry, it wasn't meant as a personal slur. I'd wandered into the conversation about his just wanting a V6 - just in my head possibly.

It does look good, I do love the wheels and if I'd not bought a similar one a little while ago I'd probably be looking.

I found mine on carandclassic.co.uk - annoyingly having missed the thread on here about the same car...

·
Registered
10,943 Posts
Can I just say I find your comments quite unhelpful. I am not trying to be unrealistic or have one over on anyone, merely sell my car in an honest fashion.

This reminds me why I don't visit here too often.
You're right - sorry, it wasn't meant as a personal slur. I'd wandered into the conversation about his just wanting a V6 - just in my head possibly.

It does look good, I do love the wheels and if I'd not bought a similar one a little while ago I'd probably be looking.

I found mine on carandclassic.co.uk - annoyingly having missed the thread on here about the same car...
Noo hawd oan here. Wan mans meat another mans poison. We are awe entitled to oor opinion even IF it's wrang.
We ur a bit kinky in here coz WE ARE DEDICATED FOLLOWERS OF 166'S. The cash cows jumped ship a long long time ago.

Like Billy Joel I didnae start the depreciation I only fun oot when the hit the low point in 2005...When I say low point I goat Pomeo fur 2.5k when awe others were selling at 6k plus. Previous keeper paid that 11 months earlier.I'd love tay ken what the stealer paid at the auction fur mine.

That has given me MY benchmnark on pricing.The "honest" car dealer that selt me Pomeo lied aboot ra warranty etc etc etc. Did it bother me. NAW. Coz whit a motor and prompted me on tay buy a few others. Now have a 3.2 TI which Scotty made me think its well worth 11k on V's forecourt. Wood I sell. No way Hose A.Hose B etc.

PS NB Eye dinae like the wid either. Wood:jester: it stop me buying a widen ICS wie nay code for 30 quid delivered . naw.
Eyer jist shelved the widen bit. Still hawd's Mrs P's nick nacks.LOL.

PN Was it guid or bad?

Just like wee awe knead tay go tay ra toilet..RUST happens. Fact of life even although they try there best tay hawd it at bay like King Canute the only avoidance is plastic etc.

Good luck in the sale.

Think twas Mare money than sense bought Unkle Munkles a few tears back. LOL

Again as they say. There's always wan...Wood nay be me but. But that's just me.

Look at the amount of 166's that Velocettes were able to turn over. If you think its worth it you buy it. If you don't you don't. That's just my simplistic economics.

Pomeo

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I'm glad my old 166 has caused such a lot of conversation!

21 - 40 of 45 Posts