1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
518 Posts
Like the seller says, must be one of the lowest mileage & last ever UK registered 166's - they pulled it out of RHD markets in Oct 2005:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2008-Alfa-Romeo-166-3-0-V6-Facelift-2000-LPG-conversion-Best-example-in-UK/273996011428?hash=item3fcb6f57a4:g:hbEAAOSwduRdcXXq

I'm actually half-tempted now my 2.0 has gone past 110k miles. Is the LPG conversion any good esp on the Sportronic? Does it hinder the V6 at all?
The car might have been one of cars that came back from abroad hence the late reg date. It will also have a the higher car tax bracket.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Well spotted mate, I've no experience of LPG , but that has to be a real prize for someone - come on down mister buyer of :glasses:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had my first 166 converted to LPG, a 3.0 Super. Worked very well and saved a fortune as I used the car for work and was doing high mileage. Only issue was finding places to fill up, it wasn't as common then. Not sure how many filling stations have it now or price, was about half the cost of petrol then.
The car looks nice and has obviously been looked after, only thing that let's it down, in my opinion, is the lighter coloured dash, not sure it really suits the car.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good experiences there Minnie. Yes, likewise I would save a fortune as I do 16k+ miles / year. LPG is still half-price so that's about £100 / month saved compared to even my 2.0TS. Or £150 on a "normal" V6 at 16k miles a year :paranoid: .

I do like the lighter interior. But..... it's black which I vowed never to get again as it's continuously dirty doing high miles. And I can't scrape together £3.5k right now:disappointed: or justify getting it, my TS is going fine. Will be interesting to see how much it eventually goes for. £3.5k already, pretty good....

·
Premium Member
45,082 Posts
Glad to hear the TS is going well. For what its worth if you were upgrading to a V6 I'd recommend an earlier 3 litre manual (pre-facelift) or 3.2 manual (facelift). The autoboxes are strong but fuel economy is pretty woeful and it blunts the performance of the V6 quite a bit compared to the manual. What does your TS average running petrol? 30mpg?

Did that ABS sensor sort out the 147?

·
Registered
10,884 Posts
Aaargh How'd eye miss this Singapore Sling wie the North Sea Gas conversion.

Bigger Aaaargh wie awe these depleted politicians who have goat awa wie murder awe these years cannae even sort oot Road Tax aka vehicles Excise Duty or whitever modern phrase whit chance huv thay wie Brexit....NANE.

Pomeo

UK Petition MP's sort oot the debacle of Road Tax so that the TAX is BASED on DATE OF MANUFACTURE of the INJUNS (MP's ur Cowboys) and NO the Date of Original Registration in the UK.

Simples Eh ...Eye ...NAw. rant over ..Sorry folks but really get on my mits.

·
Registered
10,884 Posts
Like the seller says, must be one of the lowest mileage & last ever UK registered 166's - they pulled it out of RHD markets in Oct 2005:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2008-Alfa-Romeo-166-3-0-V6-Facelift-2000-LPG-conversion-Best-example-in-UK/273996011428?hash=item3fcb6f57a4:g:hbEAAOSwduRdcXXq

I'm actually half-tempted now my 2.0 has gone past 110k miles. Is the LPG conversion any good esp on the Sportronic? Does it hinder the V6 at all?
Defcon1

Poor Silly Cone chip inside mah heed prevents the exact no...Probably around 10,13 or 15 Serpently unner 20 IIRC that were turned in the ship in the Indian Ocean in 2007/2008 and returned to UK for sale.

Should be oan here somewhere

Ooops The BLIP in how many left should pin point the no registered.

Pomeo

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glad to hear the TS is going well. For what its worth if you were upgrading to a V6 I'd recommend an earlier 3 litre manual (pre-facelift) or 3.2 manual (facelift). The autoboxes are strong but fuel economy is pretty woeful and it blunts the performance of the V6 quite a bit compared to the manual. What does your TS average running petrol? 30mpg?

Did that ABS sensor sort out the 147?
Cheers for the advice Dan :thumbup: . Yes, I would probably only ever go for the manual for the reasons you give, even though the Sportronic does arguably suit the 166's character.

My TS on the trip computer is averaging 34mpg which is pretty good as I do put my foot down on the m'way. Mind you, I don't thrash it on other roads which helps. And yes, 147 ABS sensor was perfect ta, passed MOT with it on so cheers for the ultra-quick service as always.

This LPG 3.0 166 went for £4K in the end - good price.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Aaargh How'd eye miss this Singapore Sling wie the North Sea Gas conversion.

Bigger Aaaargh wie awe these depleted politicians who have goat awa wie murder awe these years cannae even sort oot Road Tax aka vehicles Excise Duty or whitever modern phrase whit chance huv thay wie Brexit....NANE.

Pomeo

UK Petition MP's sort oot the debacle of Road Tax so that the TAX is BASED on DATE OF MANUFACTURE of the INJUNS (MP's ur Cowboys) and NO the Date of Original Registration in the UK.

Simples Eh ...Eye ...NAw. rant over ..Sorry folks but really get on my mits.
Very good point Pomeo, I didn't realise DVLA scammed us like this. Outrageous & v unfair :grumpy:

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
Cheers for the advice Dan :thumbup: . Yes, I would probably only ever go for the manual for the reasons you give, even though the Sportronic does arguably suit the 166's character.

My TS on the trip computer is averaging 34mpg which is pretty good as I do put my foot down on the m'way. Mind you, I don't thrash it on other roads which helps. And yes, 147 ABS sensor was perfect ta, passed MOT with it on so cheers for the ultra-quick service as always.

This LPG 3.0 166 went for £4K in the end - good price.
+1 for Dan's undoubted wisdom
My mechanic was of a similar mindset when the Sporto box failed in mine hence the laborious manual conversion-seeing it as a 'forever job.'
If you nanny the TS on the motorway (50mph) you'll see mid 40s I think?
PS nice to see Pomie back to full creative writing fitness:jester:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great spot Marco! So... that's a £2500.00 mark-up on what it went for last week on ebay. You can't have a go though - it's what car dealers do & it's basic business sense. He has been a bit cheeky though & basically copied what the original owner wrote in his ad last week :cheeky: .

But as Pomeo so rightly says - he's still gotta sell it. Big gamble. But big rewards if it comes-off. Will be interesting to see how long it stays on ebay for.....

·
Registered
10,884 Posts
Great spot Marco!
Yup MARCO A true 166er

So... that's a £2500.00 mark-up on what it went for last week on ebay. You can't have a go though - it's what car dealers do & it's basic business sense.
Exactly.

He has been a bit cheeky though & basically copied what the original owner wrote in his ad last week :cheeky: .
Cheeky A bit cheeky . Highway Robbery and Plagarism springs tay mind.

But as the Cellik supporters sing "If you know yer history"

Anyone that kens the 166 wouldn't buy it as that was what it should have been valued at when new (Oh no don't go there :rofl:

But as Pomeo so rightly says - he's still gotta sell it. Big gamble. But big rewards if it comes-off. Will be interesting to see how long it stays on ebay for.....
Having said that I suppose its like buses One along every minute.
Somebody that doesn't know any better will see it and compare it to BM and merc prices and think Oh man that's a steal

Also it would have been better if it had gone to a real 166ers but as there are so few of us left and to make a car like this into a write off is a steering rack bush , arear upper mount and a lot of other things that would just cripple this car.
sad fact that

Pomeo

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
QUOTE POMEO: "Also it would have been better if it had gone to a real 166ers but as there are so few of us left and to make a car like this into a write off is a steering rack bush , arear upper mount and a lot of other things that would just cripple this car.
sad fact that"

Oooerrrr... I didn't realise that :paranoid: . Eg) steering rack bush is only a bit of moulded plastic, right??? Gotta be some injection moulding company / 3-D printing outfit out there who could just copy it & make a new one...??? Or am I being naive....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts