Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wonder if anyone can shed some light on this - there appear to be 2 possibly related problems. My car is a 2000 model 3.0 Sportronic with 120000km.

1. On a light throttle (ie not under load) cruising at about 3500rpm in top gear (D in auto mode) there is a distinct stutter or hiccup - sometimes the car will accelerate through this patch, sometimes not. Is this consistent with the airflow mass meter deteriorating, as mentioned by alfaworkshop.co.uk, or a faulty lambda sensor, or possibly both?

2. Uphill, low speed, windy road. Want to blast past some slower traffic. I floor the throttle but nothing happens ALTHOUGH the revs rise - is this the traction control intervening, or a rev-limiter, or somehow related to problem 1 above ?

Is there some simple test for the 2 components mentioned above?

TIA

PS I suppose (2) above could also relate to the 'kick-down' thread of a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have the same car (with 60000 miles on the clock) and experience neither of the issues. The fueling is remarkably clean and the kick down (albeit delayed) offers me 1 or 2 gears lower). In sport mde, flicking down the box with the gear selector is a little quicker.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
1. seems likely

2. any flashing dashlights when you do this? Do you have VDC or ASR only?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi

I have the same problem with my vehicle , had the MAF changed but doesn't really seem to make a difference. Alfa Dealer has gone over the injection system and haven't found anything. They have yet to check the operation of the Oxygen sensor. What they have mentioned is it could be possible harmonics in the drive-line. I would 1st check the oxygen sensor. Other things to look at there is a locking bolt which locates a plate that one of the driveshafts goes through which they have had a couple where the bolt has come loose.

I have still not found a fix for mine but i am inclined to think it is either a electrical issue with the throttle servo or related to a tired oxygen sensor. Let me know if you find out anything different. I did have 18inch rims on mine but had to change them because the driveline stuttering may it unbearable when you were just coasting along above idle.

Cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HowardA said:
1. seems likely

2. any flashing dashlights when you do this? Do you have VDC or ASR only?
Hi Howard

No warning light on these occasions - don't actually know if my car has VDC or not.

One thing I have discovered from a good examination of the owners' manual:
When in "sporty auto" mode (ie gearlever in the "manual" slot but untouched) THERE IS NO 'KICK-DOWN' AVAILABLE.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Problem solved!
Yes, the Airflow mass meter appears to have been the culprit - the local agents changed it (after test-driving the car), together with the air filter element (it was "quite dirty", funny that) and both symptoms are gone. There is also considerably more power on tap.

Try this out if your V6 feels "flat" - it's amazing what a difference this flimsy, unnoticed component can make. The best £100 I've spent in a while!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts