Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,
The time has come for me to part company with my beloved 166 2.5 V6 (T plate ‘99). She’s served me well for the last 6 years. However, the MOT is due on the 17th of September and my local mechanic carried out a pre- MOT check before the annual service. The following problems were found:

1. CV boot needs replacing
2. Rear tyres will be an advisory (about 2k miles left on them)
3. Front suspension bushes might need replacing (depends who carries out the MOT, but they will need replacing at some point within the next year, based on current mileage)
4. The back cylinder head makes a rattling noise between 1k-3k RPM – she still drives and pulls well though when cruising along from 40 – 80mph and the noise disappears.
5. Break pipes leading to the back of the engine might need replacing (majority of the brake pipes have been replaced over the last two years though).

Now for the good stuff.

She had a complete cam belt service with water pump (metal impeller) last May, along with new front brake discs and pads. (Carried out by Just Alfa Spares, Liverpool)
She sits on 17” multi spoke alloys (1 slightly kerbed) and the two front tyres have only covered 4100 miles (Good Year Eagle F1s)

The back box is two years old and the clutch was replaced at 74K miles (currently 107000K)

There is no Sat-Nav or phone but the car does have the DSP amp. The ICS works perfectly and I also have the original Key Code Card.

The velour interior is almost spotless.

The top suspension was replaced two years ago.

I have receipts for lots of other little niggles over my 6 years of ownership (she has been well looked after) I am the third owner, although the second owner was the daughter of the first (if that makes sense).

The complete left had side of the car, the whole bonnet and front quarter have been re-sprayed due to roof tiles landing on the bonnet and some idiot that couldn’t fit his car between two white lines. As you can imagine though, this is Alfa red we’re talking about so, the remaining body panels have all faded to pink.

I won’t be offended if anyone buys here just to scrap her themselves – it’s a free market economy out there but it would be nice if someone had the space and time to fix the issues, so that she can carry on breathing for the next few years.

I have been offered £250 by my local scrap yard, so if anyone’s interested, then make me an offer.

I will be more than happy to drive her to you, within a 100 mile radius of north Wales.

Cheers folks :thumbs:

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
Kipper....you cannae be serious.

How you doin?

Pomeo

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi Pom!

I'm taking each day as it comes fella ;)

As for the car, she is no longer economically viable for me to keep. :(

If someone like Smakey got his hands on her, he could probably sort the cylinder head rattle and fix the CV boot and any other little jobs within a day and still have time to get fish and chips on the way home. Where as I, would have to pay extortionate labour rates on top of the parts.

Would you like a donor car? :lol:

TTFN dude :thumbs:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi, I am really interested in this as its looks like it needs less work for the MOT than my 164 (welding this year :( )

Tried to PM you, but its full

Thanks Jason

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Inbox now emptied :)

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Jay,

I hope you received her in as good a condition as I described.

I look forward to seeing some pics of her when you've finished get her back up to spec and I'm glad she found a decent home that wasn't the local scrap yard :thumbs:

Cheers

J-P

1 - 6 of 6 Posts