Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm toying with buying a mk1 166 but I'm after some info on which engine size to buy (but I don't want to noise everyone up with whats better 2.5 or 3.0 just some genuine info) & also manual,auto or auto with sporttronic...???

·
Registered
495 Posts
Errrrr, ones faster than the other, Super has lowered suspension, 6 speed box, 2 tone brushed effect on standard rims, not much else is different.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I have the 3.0 and have driven a friend's 2.5 and there is a big difference. The 2.5 felt dead in comparison and also seemed to use a lot more juice.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
3.0 offers better performance with little loss in economy - I myself would not have been happy with a 2.5 so had to be the 3.0 for me. I would go for the manual as it is 6 speed and again quicker, the sportronic is 4 speed and a bit lazy and gerbox has more issues!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
3.0 offers better performance with little loss in economy - I myself would not have been happy with a 2.5 so had to be the 3.0 for me. I would go for the manual as it is 6 speed and again quicker, the sportronic is 4 speed and a bit lazy and gerbox has more issues!
Cheers Dougie for the info so I'll be looking for a 3.0 manual.......:thumbs:

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
A man after my own heart - You will want a Super then. 3.0 (226bhp early, 220bhp later) 6 speed manual with lowered and stiffened suspension as standard. Plenty of bargains around at present.

Good Luck :)

·
Registered
38,250 Posts
I haven't driven a 166, but I went from a 2.5 156 to a 3 litre GTV and there was a massive difference. The 3 litre was also more economical due to not needing to be revved all of the time.

I did find the 2.5 engine was smoother though, but it may have just been me.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
I think it depends on what you want to use your 166 for?

I've got a 2.5 and I'm very happy with it. I did have a bit of an inferiority complex when these conversations come up but then I thought that I hardly ever exploit the full power of my 2.5 much preferring to pootle about So if I owned a 3.0 I would just through a little bit more petrol and insurnce at her with not much gain.

Cheers

Stuart

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
I dont think there is really that much in it at the age they are now.
Perhaps when they were both brand new I think the diffence in acceleration is only seconds in it and anyway with atop speed of 70 here what a waste the other 70 mph is..But Dougies 3.2 with was it 249 BHP...Well I dont know Yet ..Perhaps in afew years with a new MAF if they have them.

Pomeo

·
Registered
10,915 Posts

:cheese: :cheese: :cheese:

Memories.

:cheese:
I recal around 40 years ago when looking for my first car I fancied a Capri.Checked the Autocar Road tests and the best for fuel consumption based on their test was the 2.0 then the 3.0 and last the 1.6 litre.

I bought a Vanden Plas 3 litre mark 2...............Logical isn't it.:wow: :D
:lol:

The Vanden cost me £45 with an mot and the drivers seat was held up by a half brick.After all these years nothing has changed just the price.:rolleyes:

Pomeo
Ps is a gerbox what Mike Brown puts his gerbils in?;)

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
anyway with atop speed of 70 here what a waste the other 70 mph is..
A speed limit? What's that? :lol:

I'm toying with buying a mk1 166 but I'm after some info on which engine size to buy (but I don't want to noise everyone up with whats better 2.5 or 3.0 just some genuine info) & also manual,auto or auto with sporttronic...???
You can check the specifications from the link at the top of the forum. Dougie's right, though - go for a Super or a 3.2 FL.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
A speed limit? What's that? :lol:

You can check the specifications from the link at the top of the forum. Dougie's right, though - go for a Super or a 3.2 FL.
As for speed limits........I live on the "Isle of Man" need I say anymore.....:D :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts