Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have an urgent issue with my 2005 166 2.0 TS. A couple of weeks ago, the car suddenly overheated to 130 degrees and the red warning light came on. There was massive coolant loss and this was diagnosed as a knackered radiator. I ordered a new one and it was fitted by a local garage. Everything has worked fine since.

Fast forward ten days and it overheats again, with the red temperature warning coming on again ! I let the car cool overnight, started it up and let the engine idle. At 90 degrees, the fan starts up as expected. I left the car idling, and slowly the temperature rose, to 110, and then higher. The temperature dropped back a touch and then rose again towards 130 degrees. I checked the rubber hoses attached to the top and bottom of the radiator. Both were very hot. I switched the engine off to avoid damage, and opened the coolant reservoir cap carefully. Steam and boiling water gushed out. The water was HOT. However, there were NO signs of coolant leakage.

I have researched some old threads and have ruled out the following:

- the radiator was replaced ten days ago
- the engine thermostat was replaced in December
- there is no visible sign of water in the oil, or mayo under the filler cap (head gasket issues)
- the cambelt and water pump were changed in December, with a metal propeller pump
- there is no sign of water in the footwells
- I fitted a new coolant reservoir cap last week (this was the last thing I changed)

I could do with some pointers so I can have a poke around the car before booking it into the garage. I can't rule out one of the parts I replaced above being faulty. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
could be an airlock somewhere ? Run with the expansion cap off and give all the hoses a good squeeze.
Thanks for the tip. I did a bit more research and tried the following:

Fill coolant to the brim of the expansion tank

Leave the expansion tank cap off and start the car

Wait for the car to warm up to 90 degrees and for the fan to kick in

Turn the heater on full (it was blowing out cool air)

Squeeze the hoses to expel air in the system

The water starts bubbling and overflows the expansion tank (engine temp is well over 90 at this point)

The engine temp drops !!

Wait for the water to stop bubbling and for the expansion tank to settle

Pop the cap back on, keep the heater on full and head out for a drive

During a drive of 20 minutes or so, the temp stayed at a steady 90, and the heater started blasting out hot air

Top up the coolant to the max line when I got back

I had a look at a fair few threads and saw a number of tips to deal with overheating and air locks. My car does not have a visible bleed screw on either the radiator or the thermostat, so I adapted the advice I found and did the above. So far this has done the job and eliminated the air lock. I have a long drive scheduled for tomorrow, so that will be more of a test of the cooling system. Hopefully the car is back to its normal glorious self.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Isn't there bleed screws towards the heater matrix part of the cooling system. As I thought most alfa systems are self bleed?

Mine gets hotter in traffic wuth air con but I put this down to the 12 year old rad thats slowly rusting to pieces.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Isn't there bleed screws towards the heater matrix part of the cooling system. As I thought most alfa systems are self bleed?

Mine gets hotter in traffic wuth air con but I put this down to the 12 year old rad thats slowly rusting to pieces.
I bought my radiator from adrad.co.uk for about £70 delivered. We have the same model of car. Their service was great and the radiator is of good quality. I think I found a recommendation for them in an old thread on AO. Unfortunately the air con condenser was also broken, but I chose not to have this replaced at the same time as the radiator. There's always a pending job with a 166 !

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I was actually going to see if a spare 147 one o have would fit. They look incredibly similar and I could get it for peanuts. Wouldn't take much to fit it. But its only been like that on the hottest muggiestof days and im asking the aircon in the car to keep it at a sweet 19 degrees . So ive probably got one more summer left in it for hot days like that in traffic.

Else normally no air con and moving its fine.
Never goes above 100; but its good to keep an eye on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts