Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Hopefully someone can help.
My 164 is not starting, Starter turns engine over but not firing up. I have power to the coil but no pulse to the injectors. I have had an auto electrician over the engine and tested relays, crank shaft sensor ( this has a pulse from it - so i presume ok) and had immobilise checked and it is not the problem. He has checked crank shaft sensor contector, air flow meter, and relative fuses.
So we are running out of ideas.
Anyone with any thoughts as to what it could be - would be most appreciated.
Cheers, David.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Is it a 12 valve? (i.e. with a separate distributor)?

If so, put a spark plug in the end of a lead, earth the end of the plug, and try cranking it for a few secods to see if you get a spark acros the plug.

I've had problems with plug leads breaking down in the past (though it's unusual for them all to do it at once!) I've also had rotor arms "melt" all of a sudden, so check that.

Also, find the fuel pump wires and try putting 12V direclty on to the fuel pump to make it run. If it starts up with the pump running, you'll at least know a bit more!

·
Registered
607 Posts
Also try testing the crank sensor while it's being cranked. What's the voltage? had that myself - voltage fell while being cranked - replace crank sensor and one 2.5 155 fires up immediately.

On mine it tested out ok but the voltage fell to 2.3V when cranked.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for advice - will check both and let you know how i get on. The auto electrician didn't check crank sensor while being cranked so that will be a good test. After reading threads it is pointing to crank sensor. Will get him to check fuel pump as well.
cheers, David

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
An update,
Replaced crank shaft sensor - still no go. Checked fuel pump and it is not that either. Problem is that I'm not getting spark after coil - car turns over but doesn't fire up. Any other thoughts would be much appreciated.
Regards, David.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Make sure there hasn't been any water ingress into your engine ECU. It's a problem with 164s and results from blocked water drain tubes from the sunroof, I think. I had a similar problem with my old 24V Cloverleaf and that turned out to be a duff ECU.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Check rotor arm and distributor cap too.

Did you fix the lack of injector pulses?

As commented, about the only fault the 12v ecu suffers is a failed coil driver due to water ingress. One other thought, make sure that none of the connector pins in the main ecu connector are pushing back inside the connector housing. Only real way is to take off the over then tug on each wire in turn to make sure it's properly locked in place.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally found the problem and yes it was moisture in the ecu connector causing corrosion to pins on the circuit board of ecu.
How we found the problem finally was firstly checked whether there was any fuel getting to engine - so while i turn car ignition over had auto electrician check for fuel pump in boot. No noise from fuel pump so headed to fuel pump relay - no power which led us to the ecu. The circuit diagram from Cardisc was invaluable at this stage.
Being a 164Q the montonic unit is the same as the USA 164S (but not the same as standard 164) so sourced secondhand ecu in USA and after 1 week arrived in Australia and away we go.
When we put the ecu back in we placed a plastic shield over the top of the ecu in case this happens again. For the sake of half hours work could be worth doing. Especial as ecu's are getting harder to find.
Thanks for all the help and advice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts