Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just had a recon steering rack fitted, been for the tracking/wheel alignment at kwick fit, must say they do a brilliant job, lasers/computer the lot, anyway the fronts are now ok with a straight ahead steering wheel, but I didn't know the 164 has adjusters on the back wheels for toe in/out etc, it shows this on the computer screen, but the kwickfitter couldn't undoe the 4 clips that hold the rotating spindle that corrects the alignment, he didn't want to force them and snap them, also didn't want to heat them up and so ruin the nearby rubber bushes, so they weren't adjusted, he said if I could get hold of the clips he would just cut them off to replace with new ones, the offside rear wheel was toeing out quite a bit so I would like to get the rears done, so has anybody any ideas where I could purchase 4 new clips for my 164, thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
They are still available on eBay as a complete arm, if you're interested?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rear-Suspension-Track-Control-Arm-Strut-Alfa-Romeo-Lancia-Fiat-164-THEMA-CROMA-/113688969156?hash=item1a7863ffc4

Failing that, the bolts are just M8 grade 8.8. Just shear them and buy some new nuts and bolts - plenty on eBay. Ideally, when tracking, leave the slots in the arms facing downwards so that water drains out of them and put plenty of anti-seize compound on the threads of the end fittings.

Note that if it needs re-setting at the back, it'll throw the front out again, so they'll want doing again.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi, my steering rack was leaking pretty bad, for the best part of 12 months, had to keep topping up, in all this time it was difficult to source one, maybe a scrapper... anyway after phoning around and e.mailing a lot of different companies, I got a lead that sent me to TRW UK, believe it or not they had one in already reconditioned ready to go, I took the chance and bought it not knowing if it would be correct for my model of 164, they are quite unusual in shape but photographs of it looked the same,, so now I have a used leaking spare, which I will be keeping, it might be handy one day. the other alternative was to take mine off and send it away, this is not a bad idea if you can live without the car for a while, I think the cost of this was around £500, not sure what the postage would be it's damned heavy btw there is a used one for sale on e-bay at the moment, that would fit the 3.0v6, I should know. :judge:

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Thanks for that. No, I'm easily able to live without it for a bit, (I have three, I think!) but it's just a question of getting hold of a place that will do a half-decent reconditioning job. The one on my car is leaking a little, but by that, I mean I have to empty about an egg-cup of fluid out of the left hand gaiter each year. It's not critical yet.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey avo, you think you have 3? the one I have is a daily driver but of course i'm retired so only do about 2000miles a year, since I had the rack done I noticed a steering wheel judder at 65mph, that eased off at 70? I think the fronts need balancing what do you reckon?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts