Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found and repaired a sheared hose this morning but I wonder if someone can tell me what it actually comes from. Between plenum and false firewall to the left of the IAC valve a large round metal canister would be the best description. Two large rubber hoses bilaterally attached and a smaller one underneath leading away downwards, can't see where to. It was the small hose that had sheared. I managed to repair it, but if anyone can confirm what I have just repaired it might help me understand my car a little better!

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
It's part of the crankcase ventilation system / emission control. As the engine warms up, air and oil mist in the crank case (and a bit of combustion gas that gets past the piston rings) expands. In the old days, there was a pipe that just vented these to atmosphere, but when these cars were built, legislation forced manufacturers to make the engine "eat" such gases. (Hence the pipes along the back of the plenum that feed it into the inlet manifold and cause the engine to burn it).

The canister is just full of coarse wire wool. The idea is that the worst of the oil will condense on the wire wool and trickle back down into the sump (aye, right)! On short winter runs, they're actually very prone to just blocking completely with mayonnaise and gloop. It's worth taking them off evry few years and washing them out with petrol or something. Helps keep the crank case pressure low, which, in turn, gives the oil seals a nicer life.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the explanation. I can add removing and cleaning it to my tinkering list then

1 - 3 of 3 Posts