Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,

I've noticed a slight leak from the gearbox and I managed to reach the dipstick earlier on. The level is below minimum so before I get around to sorting the leak I'd like to top it up.

My question is - what kind of oil should I use in the gearbox? The car's manual says that "GL-4+" should be used. I've bought some "GL-4" to top it up but does the "+" sign mean a different type of oil?

Thanks in advance,
Paul.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Reckon but don't know for sure, your box is similar to the Thema I had. Found the best oil for that, after trying various,was Mobil synthetic gear lubricant SAE 75W-90. Obviously that's me guessing your box is the same type.2nd thoughts, maybe it was the box on the V six was similar, not sure.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi TSparky,

I have a 2ltr 164. 1995 and replaced the gear oil after renewing the clutch. I used Shell Spirax G80. According to my records, I bought 3 bottles of 250ml, I can't say how much I used. I also remember filling it through the speedo drive hole (couldn't see another place) and it has a level plug for getting the level right. (perhaps that's the filler too!!!)

Too thick an oil will cause a selection problems when cold.

alfakid

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
That's the reason for my choice, on recommendation, poor synchromesh action, especially changing from first to second gear.Really made a difference, but it wasn't cheap, being a fully synthetic oil.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts