Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people,i need an info about 164 3,0 12v Super '96. I'd like to have the owner's manual,or,if not possible,I need to know the compression ratio of the engine 3000 12v,motorcode 66303. Please,save me!
Thank u!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hi

Can you confirm it's a 96 12V? I thought all 3.0 Supers and all 3.0 96 cars were 24V?

Actually, I can't find any reference to 164 24V 3.0 compression ratios anywhere anyway. Anybody?

For pre-facelift (pre Super) V6 cars:

12V 3.0 V6 for 183HP engines is 9.5:1

12V 3.0 V6 for 200HP engines (S or Cloverleaf) is 10.0:1

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes,i can confirm...
Look here:
AutoScout24: pagina di dettaglio

AutoScout24: pagina di dettaglio

I've got the engine,not all the car...and "96" is written many times,on the cranckcase.
However, the only car using this code (AR66303) is the 164 Super 3,0 12v,and other 3000 12v has same pistons,the same head gaskets,but different heads,and i'm going crazy to find this cr!
Thank you very much,tifosi27!:thumbs:

·
Registered
393 Posts
a manual on ebay will cost you a tenner minimum I can supply one for that including postage.
I take it you mean the red owners handbook.
young alf

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
If you are sure about the year, then the only 12v V6 engine that could be fitted to the Super was the 2.0 V6 Turbo. 10.0:1 was for the 3.0 24v V6 but I believe the V6 Turbo was 9.5:1 but I need to look at my documentation when I get home.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I insist: i'm looking for info for 3000 V6 12v,i'm a V6 TB owner and i know it deeply. Its cr is 8:1,and if you look at liks i added,you can see many 164 Super 3,0 12v,non 24v. You can find them in Germany,they have motor code AR 66303,and in fact i took this engine of mine just there,in Germany...

X young alf:

you have an owner's manual? i don't understand "tenner"

Thank you all!:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I insist: i'm looking for info for 3000 V6 12v,i'm a V6 TB owner and i know it deeply. Its cr is 8:1,and if you look at liks i added,you can see many 164 Super 3,0 12v,non 24v. You can find them in Germany,they have motor code AR 66303,and in fact i took this engine of mine just there,in Germany...

X young alf:

you have an owner's manual? i don't understand "tenner"

Thank you all!:thumbs:
Learn something new everyday!!! Never seen anything about the 12v Super but there it is. Looks like the very first units shipped out to Germany didn't benefit from the 24v engine. Now I'm wondering if the 12v is a phase II engine... If not, then it's 9.5:1 as has been mentioned. :thumbs:

·
Registered
283 Posts
If you are sure about the year, then the only 12v V6 engine that could be fitted to the Super was the 2.0 V6 Turbo. 10.0:1 was for the 3.0 24v V6 but I believe the V6 Turbo was 9.5:1 but I need to look at my documentation when I get home.
Having re-read all this thread I'm starting to think that the "96" stamped everywhere on the block has nothing to do with the year, and this is because...

Learn something new everyday!!! Never seen anything about the 12v Super but there it is. Looks like the very first units shipped out to Germany didn't benefit from the 24v engine...
:wow: I never knew that!

If this is the case then the early German 12V Supers would have been shipped in 1992 / 1993, when they started the facelift Super models replacing the shall we say, the "mark 1" 164s.

I think it's safe to say that the engine we are trying to identify was not produced in 1996, we can only identify it's date of manufacture from the engine number I guess, but let's not start going down that road for no real purpose. We know from documentation that as long as it's not a 2.0 turbo or a 3.0 for the Cloverleaf then it's cr is 9.5:1.

On the subject of "cross over" cars. In the UK we have Supers from 1992 and 93 (remember the year of registration is not necessarily the year of production) which have all the 24V mechanicals, but still have the mark 1 grey external lower body trim, front foglights, etc., but with the new slimmer headlamps. (I am not getting confused with the Cloverleaf version by the way!) I have even seen one early Super with the 3 electric seat switches from a mark 1 car rather than the "normal" Super multi purpose toggle switch. A 2 owner car from new and a dealer demonstrator to begin with, this 24V was in superb condition throughout, the only things from the mark 1 on this car were those seats. I always did wonder about the wiring...

Ahhh... the quirky world that is Alfa Romeo... LOL

...and isn't it brilliant that we all care about the 164 so much! :thumbs: that we wanna help every time we can.

What a great crowd us 164 owners are :thumbs:

WELL DONE! :thumbs:

·
Registered
393 Posts
Bon giorno
I confirm from my reference that the 66303 engine was 184 bhp 12 v built 95/98.with rapporto di compressiione of 9.5 the 24v had engines 66301 and 2

I would be happy to send you an owners manual if you could do a sevice for me .
I need to know the alfa part numbers of two Veglia gearbox speedo sensors that have manufacturers marking as follows .there is very litttle difference between the two.
They are 68 1059 9M 12V 41 MP/G AND 681059 30 9M12V 41MP/G
My 96 164 automatic box sensor has failed and would like to know what I have obtained are correct ,as the faulty part markings starts 681055
I am unable to find a contact source for Veglia myself.
Ciao
YOUNG ALF

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you so much!:thumbs: Finally we found this cr!

Young Alf,according to Fiat Eper,the speedo sensor for 164 3,0 Super with automatic gearbox is 7624312,as you can see here:

http://www.spangerum.com:7080/navi?COUNTRY=001&GRP_COD=212&SBMK=R&DRIVE=S&SGS_COD=0&MAKE=R&COMM_MODEL=164&CAT_COD=W2&MOD_COD=168&SGRP_COD=33&ALL_FIG=0&LANGUAGE=0&PREVIOUS_KEY=SUBGROUP&ALL_LIST_PART=0&SB_CODE=-1&KEY=PARTDRAWDATA&PRINT_MODE=0&EPER_CAT=SP&WINDOW_ID=1&GUI_LANG=0

I hope to be useful for you!

(sorry for my grammatical mistakes...:) )

·
Registered
393 Posts
IL Busso
I have this part no on my own epe it is the evidence that the veglias own marking on the sensor relates to the alfa mumber.that I need to know ,and likely obtainable from Veglia direct which alfa gb have suggested
If you have an address or email contact ,it would be most helpful
Please send me a personal mail with your address for the manual.
young alf.home

1 - 13 of 13 Posts