1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
I'm 99% sure that was an option pal :)

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
That's a late model QV steering wheel prior to the airbag versions. So not many to be found!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Looks like Alfa made 988 cars with this steering wheel so won't be many about now.
This steering wheel is standard on my 164QV24 sold in Hong Kong; mine was perhaps the first lot of the QV24 RHD manufactured in 1993. The aircon console is still the dial type, not digital.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Tan Recaros, rarer than rocking horse poop!!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks. Yes, the seats in tan and the door card in two tone really light up the car. My earlier QV was black/black, also has the same steering wheel. See pictures. Please note the difference in the aircon console. The Black/Black is a 1994 model. The Black/Tan is 1993, both QV24. I have seen a later 164QV model that has a different steering wheel fitted with airbag, and it also has a different original Alfa master key with a key head in red.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Yep, 1993 to some point in 1994, this was standard QV non airbag wheel until the airbag became standard and no more of these great wheels were supplied.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thank you for this photo, I don't see any giveaway identifying marks. Is the hub steel or aluminum? Any markings/stampings on the back side? MOMO usually stamps their wheels on the back of the hub with "MOMO" plus a date (see photo). My guess is that this is a Kolbenschmidt (KS) wheel manufactured in their plant in Aschaffenburg, Bavaria. KS, usually associated with piston manufacturing, got into steering wheels around 1974 and became oem providers for Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, Alfa, etc. in the late 80s and 90s. All the air-bag equipped wheels for the Alfa 164 are KS/Magna. In 1994 KS sold to Magna International (logo below). The oem wheel for the Alfa 156 is made by Momo. It would be great to eventually verify the maker of this beautiful wheel.

Attachments

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The hub appears to be Steel. The leather wraps and covers the rear of the wheel so might be covering further markings

·
Registered
74 Posts
Stumped. The number in your previous photo seems like a manufacturing date "06-05-93"... hmm... followed by "GCP" —what's that? I've looked at a bunch of contemporary Momo, Italvolenti, Raid, Vortex, Nardi, and can't find a match. This wheel uses a 2-piece leather wrap on the rim (very stylishly done) whereas most artisan wheels have a 1-piece covering with seam at bottom spoke.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Doing a little poking around, "GCP" could be Gallino Componenti Plastici of Turin. Breed Technologies, a big maker of steering wheels and airbags—who was in full expansion mode in the mid 1990s—bought both Momo and GCP in 1996. So maybe this steering wheel is from Gallino, prior to the sale of the company to Breed.

GALLINO: PASSA A BREED TECHNOLOGIES (MOMO)

·
Registered
74 Posts
By the way, I said "leather" in a previous post, but not having one in my hand perhaps I shouldn't have assumed; is this wheel leather covered or pvc covered? Most steering wheel producers were capable of doing covering in either material.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm taking a bit of a leap in making this conjecture, but it seems that there may be a connection between GCP (Gallino Componenti Plastici)—patent holder for two types of of steering wheel manufacturing procedures made in 1991—and the firm V. Gallino S.p.A. Some of you old-timer Alfisti may know this is the venerable manufacturer of the "Hellebore" and "Gallital" brand of hand-crafted steering wheels in the 60s. Does anyone know if V. Gallino S.p.A. was amalgamated into GCP? Seems plausible. . . same name, city of Turin, artisan steering wheels, wood rims being replaced by plastics.

Nice idea! (that your "rare" QV steering wheel has Hellebore lineage)

Attachments

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
By the way, I said "leather" in a previous post, but not having one in my hand perhaps I shouldn't have assumed; is this wheel leather covered or pvc covered? Most steering wheel producers were capable of doing covering in either material.
Yes, it certainly is Leather throughout. The attention to detail and the stitching/jointing is superb. Hope the photos give you an idea.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts