Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi anyone know were to buy this from, or an alternative? it's sort of like grey dense sponge, i reckon you could make one from a similar sort of material. racks been rebuilt but could do with one of these for the top of the spline

Attachments

Registered
Doesn't look that bad tbh, but if you want a new one just for piece of mind a harder foam sand patience with a Stanley knife are a good bet and considerably cheaper than anything you are going to find online I'd bet.

For what it's worth I reused my old one and it looked similar.

Good luck 馃槉

Registered
Bizarrely, it looks like it's still available on EPER!

Might be worth calling a dealer and asking? Part No. appears to be 60564209. You can check yourself on Eper, but this link often doesn't work and you get some stupid message about pirates!

Anyway, if you can't get one, I agree with Sam. If it was me, I might just put a washer between it and the rack, to squish it up against the bulkhead a bit harder to compensate for any permanent compression it might have suffered over the years.

I see you seem to have a steering damper on your rack? I wonder if that's why the 24-valve cars didn't torque steer quite as badly as the 12 valve ones?

Who did you get to rebuild your rack, in the end?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi, yes it's pretty crushed, thanks i'll try the link, the rack came back looking good, i asked about the bulkhead seal and it was the only thing they couldn't replace. i don't think it's that much of a big deal, but i'll try try to get one, it took 9 days from pick up to delivery including the bank holiday weekend, 拢200 all in, cheapest i could find, what do you reckon?, i'll know better when it's all fitted, touch wood.

Registered
hi, yes it's pretty crushed, thanks i'll try the link, the rack came back looking good, i asked about the bulkhead seal and it was the only thing they couldn't replace. i don't think it's that much of a big deal, but i'll try try to get one, it took 9 days from pick up to delivery including the bank holiday weekend, 拢200 all in, cheapest i could find, what do you reckon?, i'll know better when it's all fitted, touch wood.
I wouldn't worry about it at all. It's just there to stop noise (and maybe water) coming into the footwell. Put a ring of silicone around it on reassembly, if you're concerned. If mine looked like that, I certainly would re-use it.

I don't know about the 拢200 price. It depends what they did, I guess. The gaiters would have been (at a guess) 拢20 for the end with the steering damper, 拢10 for the other end. A pair of tie rods if they changed those, would be about 拢40 retail. Seals (dunno, I'm going to guess at another 拢20). Maybe 拢100 for labour. However, if they replaced bearings in there and re-machined bits, then it's incredibly cheap! Did they give you a list of that they did?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi ian, no, the guys name i dealt with was mark, he just said it was fully rebuilt, if you check the site, they rebuild every rack under the sun, feedbacks ok. so hey ho. i can't get on that eper site, and watch it, it says it's insecure. i've not had that boot spoiler fitted yet, you sold me, must sort that. to be honest this car is getting rather expensive to keep, ah well it is 26 i suppose.
regards derek.

Registered
hi ian, no, the guys name i dealt with was mark, he just said it was fully rebuilt, if you check the site, they rebuild every rack under the sun, feedbacks ok. so hey ho. i can't get on that eper site, and watch it, it says it's insecure. i've not had that boot spoiler fitted yet, you sold me, must sort that. to be honest this car is getting rather expensive to keep, ah well it is 26 i suppose.
regards derek.
Well, just see how you go with it. I see they have an 18 month unlimited mileage warranty, so that will give some confidence, I guess. I agree it's not a cheap hobby, but the cars are picking up in value, at least!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts