Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While dismantling a spare 12v for a rebuild I was surprised to find how much sludge had built up in the sump.
The cylinder heads, engine block oil channels, main and big end bearing oilways all contained uncontaminated oil, the only clue of a sludge build up was in some found inside the oil pump gear.
I put petrol in the pan to see whether it would break down the sludge overnight but it had little effect other than to loosen it from the pan sides, hence the main point of my post; if the condition of your 164s oilpan is unknown be very wary of using an oil flush!
WP_20200630_13_46_01_Pro.jpg
WP_20200630_13_45_04_Pro.jpg

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The top image shows the sump plug opening into the main pan, the oil pick up sat in the sludge layer!!!

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Eeeeewwwww! Do you know anything of the history of that engine? When I bought my current car, it had been stored in a barn for quite a few years. The previous owner said "But don't worry, I've always run the engine for 10 minutes every week to keep the oil circulated"! My heart sank. Obviously, one of my first jobs was the cam belt but in taking the cam covers off to see the timing marks, I was appalled by the amount of mayonnaise in there. I was scooping it out with one of Mrs Avocet's tablespoons! I think that's just what happens to big aluminium engines in cold, damp climates, when they're not worked hard and for a decent amount of time. There's none at all in there now.

...although, I've never had the sump off.....

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
unknown mileage or real history on this engine which had been stored for easily the last decade possibly longer (in dry garage) so made an ideal project to strip down, I'm hoping to fully rebuild with a small increase in the CR, first I need to measure for wear but visually apart from the pan it looked really good.
I really just intended to warn any current or future 164 owners to beware what may be lurking in the oil sump, especially if the car has been standing for some time or if the pan has not been dropped. No amount of oil changes would have dislodged the sludge and more worryingly where present in this volume, an oil change would not flush any contamination and the new oil would just pick up all the left behind sediment sitting on the sludge layer.
When I remove the current engine on my car , which has a decent oil change history, it will be interesting to see the state inside, I do not believe it's pan has been removed so similar age to the above.We shall see.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts