Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 164 needs a replacment Idle Control Valve, can anybody help with a source for this. I've tried EB spares they say although Alfa quoted for it, its not available! and we will have to look for a used one. Having tried that route in the past from ebay and failed as it turned out worse than the original one! Can anybody suggest an alternative please before I tear whats left my hair out!

Many Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
145 Posts
Here's Bosch's P/No 0 280 140 505. This is a two wire, 12 volt unit, for the 164, 2 ltr. 1995.

Have you tried cleaning it? There is a rotating valve inside that could get grit underneath it.

Also you can run the car without it! Remove unit, blank manifold, (leave the grommet in place as this helps seal it). Blank induction hose. Adjust the idle on the throttle cable when warm.

A temparary measure to get you by, if stuck. I think they cost about £100 or so but as they are used by Volvo and others (I've been told), you may find one at a breakers. Best of luck!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Blanking is ok until MOT time!
I used a plastic blacking grommet for one hole and a plasic foot off the bottom of a metal chair leg for the other!

The only problem is idle speed, which needs to be a bit faster when cold so you'll have to find a compromise, a little slow when cold, a little fast when warm but still reliable.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would just like to say a big thank you to everybody who helped me. Idle Control now replaced and working! Yippee! (some hair starting to grow back!) But in the nature of things its thrown up another problem which I think may be down to the Temp Control Sensor or the AFM.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well coming to a juntion or roundabout after doing 60-70 plus she starts to hesitate at first and then the revs start to yo-yo badly as we come to a halt, sometimes cutting out altogether with a smell of petrol. I've checked the various pipes for cracks etc. but being a novice I'm not sure what to do next. Any ideas gratefully received!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi Mez164,

See my posting from (currently) page 4, from two weeks ago, entitled, '164, lack of use problems??' by toby2449.

Definitely sounds like mixture related, to me. Check a sparkplug or two for signs of a mixture change.

Fuel smells. Have a close look at the rubber fuel lines on each end of the fuel rail (that feeds injectors). Bend them, and look for perishing cracks. Replace with thick walled, high pressure tubing, only.

Assuming the engine is in otherwise good serviceable order!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.