Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right. I'm taking **** 164's advice from the other thread and trying to ignite a bit of interest. So wish me luck as I'm taking the old shed for its MOT tomorrow. I spent last weekend reconstructing the rear jacking points, so I know it's sound underneath. All the lights work. The brakes still seem to stop it; I've got some wind in each tyre...

120-odd thousand miles, 26 years...

...should just be a formality really...

·
Registered
261 Posts
Good luck! Things I often forget to check after a bit of recommissioning work:- Battery security, driver's seat can adjust, Air bag light works properly, doors open from the inside, rear fog lamps and number plate lights, washer fluid so he can test yer squirters, rubber boots on ball joints (they can't have splits anymore), steering rack gaiters, cracking brake hoses, hand brake cable splits.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Yes ditto that mj2k. Shame to see so many not get through MOT and end up being parted out...

Here in Spain life is good with an MOT which is a joke and warm climes which keeps my jacking points rust free!!

Good luck!

Reactions: Mufasa

·
Registered
129 Posts
Cover your boots

... rubber boots on ball joints (they can't have splits anymore), ....
Always annoys me that. The boot is to protect the joint. But the boot is now equally susceptible, so I suggest fitting protective covers to all the protective boots so they don't get damaged.

Of course at some point splits in the cover will be an Mot failure item...

·
Registered
827 Posts
Good luck! :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Always annoys me that. The boot is to protect the joint. But the boot is now equally susceptible, so I suggest fitting protective covers to all the protective boots so they don't get damaged.

Of course at some point splits in the cover will be an Mot failure item...
Yeah you can buy different size rubber boots though. I've fitted a few. Worth doing if you're happy the ball joint itself is still ok...

·
Registered
10,943 Posts
Avo will be in tescos getting some Heineken cans to reach the bits he couldnae. :rofl:

Only Jesting Avo.Howd ewe doo?......I predict a skoosh pass for you and following your lead Lucy is booked in the morra too

·
Registered
261 Posts
Shall we have a bet? I've don't know this guy, or his car, but I'm gonna guess pass, but with advisory on handbrake effort, corroded brake ferrules, and um corroded brake discs :) Lol. Seriously though, sure it will have been fine.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I reckon ONE :jester: of the advisories will be "excessive amounts of underseal":thumbup: The OPs silence is leading us to believe the result may need to be :censored:...But this thread may need pictures..or it never happened

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well... :scratchchin:

...thanks for all your good wishes folks, and everyone who betted on a pass...

Take a :bow:

Oh yeah! :banana::banana::banana::banana:

:thumbu p: :hehe: :thumbup: :biglaugh:
:beer:

Sailed through! No advisories. I was quietly confident about handbrake because I'd replaced the rear calipers a couple of years ago. Would have liked to have seem the emissions printout but they couldn't find it. Need to give the wee girl on reception a slap next time I see her though! When I dropped it off, she promised she'd phone me and give me the news, but it got to 16.00 and she hadn't phoned, so I thought I'd give them a call in case they'd forgotten to do it. (As the old MOT ran out over a week ago, I didn't fancy driving it home without one)! When she answered, she said "Oh, I'm really sorry, I've been trying to work out how best to tell you..."

"What????!!!!" I said. "It failed???!!!" "What did it fail on"?

"Well", she said... then she started reeling off a list:

"front suspension arms, CV joint gaiters, brakes...."

(at this point I was making choking noises down the phone)

"...exhaust... sunroof..."

"Hang on a minute! SUNROOF???!" I said.

At this point she started giggling....

"No, I was just winding you up, it passed fine", she said. "I was just saying all the names of bits of car that I could think of"!

...so I owe that cheeky wee lassie one now! She had me going for a minute there. I don't mind admitting I fell for it, good and proper!

But the icing on the cake came when I stopped for a drink on the way in this morning and came out to find two chaps in a van admiring it. One of them told me it had made his day, he hadn't expected to see another 164 on the road ever again! He went on to tell me that he once had a twinspark 164 and loved it. Strangely, that never happens when I'm in my company Sharan! (I just get the odd filthy look as mothers pull their children closer to them and hold their noses as I go past...)

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Ha ha, Excellent :thumbup:

But the icing on the cake came when I stopped for a drink on the way in this morning and came out to find two chaps in a van admiring it. One of them told me it had made his day, he hadn't expected to see another 164 on the road ever again! He went on to tell me that he once had a twinspark 164 and loved it.
I used to get that a lot with my 'company' Capri too, it's a great feeling. I'm not surprised though, the 164 was very distinctive when most other cars looked exactly the same and was well put together for an Alfa, so you may get a few more of those comments...

I'm hoping the 156 gets similar comments in a few years, and not "I had one of those, awful car, was glad to get shot of it", otherwise I might be beating a path to your door waving wads of cash ;)

·
Registered
827 Posts
That's great news :thumbup:

I have to say, the story about the phone call is great too. It's good to know some folk out there still have a sense of humour :) though I suspect you may have felt differently on the other end of the phone!

Reactions: Mufasa
1 - 14 of 14 Posts