Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone any suggestions please?

My heater fan still won't come on despite replacing the switch behind the console.
Checked the user manual for possible fuses and relays but nothing listed. Surely there is a fuse or relay for it?
Is there a way to test the blower unit by bypassing the switch on the dash?
If I have to replace the blower unit, where is it located? Thanks

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Under the bonnet in the centre at the base of the windscreen is a round shaped plastic housing. The fan's in there. Used to be common for the fan to simply stop going. There should be a wiring connector to it where you can apply 12v directly to see if it'll fire up. If not, from memory it's a dash out job to replace (or something silly like that) but there's a method where you cut the plastic housing with a dremel or similar, replace the fan motor, and glue the housing back together. Do a search, maybe on AlfaBB, should be plenty of details.

·
Registered
69 Posts
On the 164 TS the heater fuse is in a black box on the passenger side, engine firewall, near the brake fluid bottle. I had to fit a new 40amp fuse on mine when I got it for the same reason. I don't know about other versions of the 164 though.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Stratos the link I attempted to post should be fairly comprehensive. You will find a fuse in the box under the steering column as detailed in the post I started when experiencing a similar issue to your own. I mentioned it was on page three of a search using "Alfa 164 heater" on this forum so that you could avoid trawling previous forum posts which would not provide any answers. Eliminate first the fuses, then the resistor, and hope it's not the fan.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thank you I'll check
Mez164 is correct. The heater has that large fuse in a black box that clips off the bulkhead right next to the brake fluid reservoir. My fuse was good but the connections were not. Turn ignition on and heater fan and short the two 6mm posts either side of the fuse to see if it fires up ?.
Use a 10 mm spanner to remove the connections to clean them up. ( the connections may be just loose ). good luck.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just to update those kind enough to have given me advice here and those who may encounter this issue in the future.
Heater blower now working. Turned out to be the 40amp metal strip behind the false bulkhead between the engine bay and the heater/wiper motor housing area. The strip had split. 5 minutes job to remove and solder up.
The user manual describes the other fuse as an 'Air Conditioner Relay' which is 10amp and number 18 on the diagram (located on the main drop down fuse board in the lower dash side of the drivers knee).
At first I assumed this was purely relevant to cars with Air Con however my car does not have air con but removing this fuse stops the blower working so this is also something to check if yours stops working

1 - 11 of 11 Posts