Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This site listed my 164 as having H1s, however, Halfrauds listed it as H4, so I ordered H4s. I haven't changed them as the light in question seems to have a relay missing from the jobber on top of the light housing.

I guess my question is threefold; does my car (97 3.0 Super) need H1s rather than the H4 and do I need a relay and where can I get it?

M

·
0 Posts
My 93 164 Super has four H1 lamps. Used for both main and dip beam. My relays are already in the wiring loom - you shouldn't need anything else.

The Super fog lamps are H4.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Just saw something on the Alfa BB site that the early 164s had H4s in the headlamps

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My 93 164 Super has four H1 lamps. Used for both main and dip beam. My relays are already in the wiring loom - you shouldn't need anything else.
You don't have a bunch of wires and a relay sitting on the back of the lights? Another difference, I guess!

The Super fog lamps are H4.
No wonder they work so much better than the ones on my TSpark!

M

·
0 Posts
You don't have a bunch of wires and a relay sitting on the back of the lights? Another difference, I guess!
No I don't and this makes me wonder what you have. You mean actually connected to the back of the light units - not the relays on brackets fixed immediately above the lights (with the black plastic covers)? Sorry to ask a "numpty" type question here.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not the relays on brackets fixed immediately above the lights (with the black plastic covers)?
Yeah, those are the ones I mean. I'd have to remove them from their stands to get to the lights, but they don't seem to be actually connected to the lights.

M

·
0 Posts
Yes, that's right. Nothing to do with the headlights - it's just where they live. One of them on the passenger side is the hooter relay I think.

I also have a diagnostic connector there hanging on the same bracket - unfortunately I don't know what bit it diagnoses. In fact I can't identify or locate any of the other diagnostic sockets (nor find anything that can read them).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts