Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How to?

I've had the EGR valve stripped, cleaned and checked, but the Engine warning light is still on. Will disconnecting the battery for a while reset the ECU (assuming the fault has been fixed)?

Idle is still rough BTW – I can see this car sending me mad.

M

·
0 Posts
The battery disconnection should reset the ECU but I don't know how long you have to leave the thing disconnected to be sure.

Is the idle worse than when you came round? Can't remember whether you changed the idle valve - a different (used) one had an effect on my idle although mine is still rough too. I'm looking towards the exhaust for leaks but you've already done the downpipes and flexis.

It is becoming a pain here too and MoT has now expired so I doubt the car will pass an emissions test with its periodic misfire.:cry:

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
. i think you only need to leave the battery disconnected for a few minutes. worked for me recently anyhow..

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the idle worse than when you came round? Can't remember whether you changed the idle valve
It's a hell of a lot betterr. The idle valve is next to look at (maybe should have been first, but I thought the garage had already checked it), then I think I'm out of ideas!

It is becoming a pain here too and MoT has now expired so I doubt the car will pass an emissions test with its periodic misfire.:cry:
Keep the faith!

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You just disconnect the battery, leave it for about 10 minutes (even 30 minutes, depends on the car).
Another way is to do the foot pedal thing five times to read the fault code. Keep repeating the five times foot pedal press until you get no more codes and a series of long flashes. Then hold down for 10 seconds. It will then clear.

However, if like me you have an egr valve with a faulty earth that has been stripped, cleaned, checked, re-checked, refitted and every connection gone over with a fine toothcomb, it's likely to bring the same fault up after about 5 minutes. Aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggghhhhhh!

M

·
0 Posts
You are lucky. My 1993/4 Super does not have an engine management light on the dash and doesn't do the throttle pedal thing.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are lucky. My 1993/4 Super does not have an engine management light on the dash and doesn't do the throttle pedal thing.
Lol, maybe you're the lucky one – it's not getting me any closer to finding the fault and the light sitting there looking at me is doing my head in!

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
Hi there My 164 had a serious idle prolem after a rebuild turned out there was unmetered air getting in at the trumpet intakes any leaks like that can upset it, try spraying some carb spray around different parts of air passages and if the engine note changes then there will be a clue.
Having said that my injector light can come on at idle just nw but not always, as the car has an LPG system fitted its never been that brilliant at idling but me thinks that it does run on 6 cyls!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts