Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Help! After years of trouble free motoring with regular servicing my 1995 164 Cloverleaf locked me in the driver seat today. Not a bad thing I thought at first, I can think of worse places to be...

Central locking operates from both inside and outside with key, remote or manually opening the inside handle. The lock pin pops up but doesn't quite go fully up and using the key in the lock or using the inside handle does not unlock the latch. All three other doors are just fine. I disabled the central locking, it made no difference. Anyone had the same problem? Any ideas? I'd like to get out soon... :cry:

Cheers, Tiff

If you can't get a V12, get 2 V6s

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Try screwing the pins down! Im sure I had an issue once with a car and it was just down the the pins! Although even if you didnt have any pins i.e. took them out it should still work!!........might work, prob not!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hiya. Should've said I tried with the pin off, makes no difference. I think it's a bigger problem than that unfortunately.

Cheers, Tiff.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Sounds like your latch has come loose or is broken. Problem is I have no idea how you are going to get inside the door if you can't open it! You may have to end up taking the large bolts off and try to pull enough of the panel open to get to the latch...

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hey mate. I'll try that on my project car before I damage my perfect interior! Will let you know how it goes... on my way now...

Cheers, Tiff.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Are you saying it won't open from the inside OR from the outside when this happens? In other words, is it currently impossible to open the driver's door no matter what? When you turn the key in the lock, does the key move as far as it does on the passenger door or does it appear to jam before it has turned fully to the "unlock" position?

It does sound like it's something to do with the latch if that's the case.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hiya. Thanks for the message. You're right. It's not possible to open the door at all. The key does seem to "not move far enough" and the pin won't come right up. I've tried pulling the metal rod up with molegrips while manipulating other moving parts but it makes no difference.

All sorts of pulling, pushing, tapping, banging, shoogling, wiggling, hoiking, shoving and jiggling have only resulted in blood, sweat and tears and finally cursing.

I'm currently trying to remove the inner door card with the door shut. Not fun. MOT is due and I need this sorted.

If anyone has experienced this and knows how to get the door open please let me know.

Cheers, Tiff.

A

·
0 Posts
If you are in the RAC or AA they are very good at getting into locked cars with hooked rods, or bits of thin polycarbonate with a hooked end that you slide down the window glass into the door void and 'trip' the mechanism. It does work, but practice makes perfect etc, so it might be worth giving them a call for advice even if they won't come out to it. Body shops can sometimes do the same sort of thing.

bit of a bummer really. good luck

AlfaLincs

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
It MIGHT be worth trying to pull the locking button up WHILST someone is trying to push the door SHUT form the outside. At present, with the door shut the door seal will be permanently trying to push it open. If someone pushes hard against it, they might take the load off the catch momentarily and it might jst free it up enough to move wile you pull the rod. Be careful because it's easy to dent the door sking while doing this - the trick is to push at the back edge of the door over as big an area as possible.

Another thing might be to take the button off and try trickling WD40 down the rod in the hope that it gets to the seized part of the latch mechanism (although that's a very long shot)!

good luck!

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
I agree with Avocet, I had a similar problem once when a loop of the seatbelt became trapped in the door. I had to lean against the door from outside while simultaneously trying the handle. Eventually it came free. Worth a try.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hiya

It's happened to me at least twice and also on the rear doors which are even worse. The only way is to get to the mechanism by getting the top half of the door card off. The best thing to do is unscrew the plastic locking pin, then wind down the window and gently prise the door card at the top. then unsrew the door handle bolts so you can open it up a bit more. You should then be able to see the door locking mechanism. Spray it with loads of WD40 and let it soak in. Then try pushing the strike plate (with the plastic seating) and move it about a bit. It should release but be patient and really let the WD40 do its job. The locks and mechanisms do tend to get clogged up and my guess is the the locking mechanism has got stuck in the lock position and won't release. I took all my locks apart and re-did the springs afterwards as they are a pain when they go wrong. Good luck.

Gerlad

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Are you in yet?

ooer.... :lol:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Right We're in! :cool:

I've been away for ages and have not had the time do deal with this.

One word I would like to say is that leaning on the door and pushing it in only resulted in the panel becoming dented so I need to replace the door now. :rolleyes:

Anyway... Chick at C M Garages in East Kilbride did the trick by sliding a magic tool down between the glass and the weather strip, managing to catch the latch lever rod and opening the door that way. :thumbs:

With the doorcard now off it is clear that some low life scumbag had been trying to break into the car and had only succeeded in damaging the rods and mechanism so much that when I opened the door for the last time it separated the rod from the lever, never to work again, so I ended up stuck inside. Nice. :mad:

With the dent in the door panel from my fat butt I decided to swap the door with another from my breaker/spares donor 164 Super and I'm letting Chick take care of that for me now.

After that he'll strip the remaining 3 doors and make sure all the mechanisms are well lubricated and in good order. After that the car is off for new black paint and a newly repainted bodykit and if I can ever get my alloy wheels refurbished properly with a polished rim then I'll have a very pretty and hopefully accessible by the doors 164 24V 'leaf again :D

Thanks for all the suggestions and thanks to Chick for getting it sorted without any more damage.

Cheers All! :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Well done! :thumbs: My first thought on reading this was "bloody hell, after six months, he must REALLY need a leak!" :lol:

Glad you got it sorted, shame it was down to maliciousness in the first place. Bad enough when things happen by their own accord, so much worse when you realise someone was doing that which they ought not have been doing! :rant:

·
Registered
206 Posts
I am in same boat after daughter borrowed car earlier this week. On the really frosty morning we had she tugged at the door handle and bingo it went floppy and unable to access through drivers door. Ive had this happen once before when i broke the outer door hadle but at least then I could open from inside. Currently both handles inside and out do sod all:mad:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts