Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick one hopefully.. What is the procedure for removing the passenger side door panel, ie which screws and in what order?

Regards

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Bogart,

I take it you mean the interior panel? I am not sure if this is everything but basically as follows:

1. Remove the self tapping screws and plain washers securing the bottom edge of the trim.
2. Remove the red corner light from the door panel. I think there is another screw under the lens.
3. I think there is a screw under the electric window button. Remove the electric window button switch by gently prising out with a blunt flat bladed screwdriver.
4. There is one or two M6 cross head screws securing the door trim around the central area; I think these are all covered by small plastic discs on the rear doors, and are hidden behind 6" long plastic covers in the door storage pockets on the front doors.
5. Unscrew the door release button from the top edge of the door trim.

I think this is all the screws so next....

6. The door trim can now be removed by gently(!) levering from the bottom edge to release the plastic popper fasteners (you know the ones I mean?). Some force is necessary in reality.
7. The top edge of the door (together with the internal rubber seal unhooks from the top edge of the door frame.
8. The door trim remains attached to the door by the release cable, and I must admit I have never disconnected this. I have managed to carry out repairs (renewing the central locking actuator normally) with the trim attached.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Roger

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Roger164 said:
Hi Bogart,

I take it you mean the interior panel? I am not sure if this is everything but basically as follows:

1. Remove the self tapping screws and plain washers securing the bottom edge of the trim.
2. Remove the red corner light from the door panel. I think there is another screw under the lens.
Yep

Roger164 said:
3. I think there is a screw under the electric window button. Remove the electric window button switch by gently prising out with a blunt flat bladed screwdriver.
4. There is one or two M6 cross head screws securing the door trim around the central area; I think these are all covered by small plastic discs on the rear doors, and are hidden behind 6" long plastic covers in the door storage pockets on the front doors.
5. Unscrew the door release button from the top edge of the door trim.

I think this is all the screws
There's 1 more behind the door handle & of course 1 at the top ofthe vent's moulding

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all = I REALLY need this same thing for the 166 passenger door - I am halfway through (trying to replace the lock - why do they make us all do this?) and I cannot figure out the remaining screws & where they are...
How easily do those plastic bubbly sheets attached by glue rip, once it's off? My guess is pretty easily :( Any advice on how to get them off undamaged?

Jason

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
heat the sticky gunk with a hair dryer and they come off easier....either that or cut carefull and use gaffer tape to put it back on :D

I think all the screws are pretty obvious on the 166.....there's some under the switch pack and the door handle rubber mat. Don't be tempted just to pull as there aren't any clips - it's all screws and bolts IIRC so if it aint coming off you aint got em all :p

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi

Thanks for the replies job done and only 2 screws left over:D

Regarding previous message the plastic sheets come off quite easily and providing you dont get the sticky bit dried out they go back on ok in my experience.

Regards

·
Registered
7 Posts
Re: 164/and now 166 Door panel

Thanks for the 'glued on plastic bit' door skin tips - hairdryer will be duly purloined from her indoors.

However.. my door panel does have white plastic "clips" (they are long push studs with large round 'fins') - I'm guessing from what I've read here that it is almost a case of the factory changing its mind every quarter as to how hey would build the cars .. the joys of Alfa, huh?

still stumped. The rear half of the door panel is fine and comes away nicely but the front.. I am out of obvious and not so obvious places to search for fixings of any kind.. have had the door insert (black leather, mine) off of course... are there screws behind the speaker grille? I cannot seem to prize that off even after taking off the chrome plastic surrounds, one of which will now need replacing, :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
yes, screws behind the speaker and also screws behind the round air vent thing IIRC.....it just twists off like a light bulb bayonet fitting.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ok - here's a good one - my 1993 194 Twin Spark has just decided that the drivers door won't open.

Neither the outside nor inside handle works........

So I know I'm going to need to take the panel off - so thanks for the description, but is this possible with drivers seat etc in situe?

Or do I need to get the door open first, and if so - suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Duncan

·
Registered
90 Posts
if you need to it is really easy to remove the drivers seat, only 4 allen bolts, one at each end of the two runners.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Ok - here's a good one - my 1993 194 Twin Spark has just decided that the drivers door won't open.

Neither the outside nor inside handle works........

So I know I'm going to need to take the panel off - so thanks for the description, but is this possible with drivers seat etc in situe?

Or do I need to get the door open first, and if so - suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Duncan
The Alfa 164 Digest had a fairly lengthy explanation -

have a look at http://www.digest.net/alfa/FAQ/164/bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi

·
Registered
35 Posts
Oh dear. I had this - the garage managed to remove the door trim without demolishing it. There is, I think, just enough room to access the row of small self-tappers at the lower edge of the trim, with the door closed. The one that won't come out is the one behind the light unit - you can't get the lens off because it is held on with another screw.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts