Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm at a loss and need your help out there before I go insane.....Please
Oil pressure gauge on dash of the 164 twinspark has a red light constantly on. Done all the checks, cleaned contacts on engine sensor and wire connection plug, checked oil level, have good pressure from filler cap, no undue engine noises, pressure test confirms good pressure. Took car on a 15 mile jaunt and red light still lit up.
The actual needle on the gauge works, at zero with engine off, just about half way at tick over and increases with higher revs, the normal expected thing.
So suspecting a dicky sensor, I ordered a brand new replacement which I duly fitted. Guess what, exactly same thing, red light still on dash.
I know pressure is ok but want the light out.
Any ideas? Could it be a relay, fuse, dicky connection to the bulb in the binnacle?
Yes it is an Alfa and they can be a pain but I'd really like the light out.
Can I rig some wiring up to turn it out?
Your thoughts please

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
..suppose you could pull the bulb..?

If the actual pressure gauge is working at this stage i'd consider yourself well ahead of the curve .. :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Have heard of low needle because of non-working sender unit, but rarely heard of red light. Hence, the red light could be caused by a relay or wiring issue, which could be difficult to trace unless you have the wiring diagram. It may sound silly but I would first use a different bulb and if it is still on I would temporarily replace the instrument cluster with another to see if it would still take care of the red warning light.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok folks, thanks for your advice out there. Finally sorted!
Seems that Alfa in their Wisdom and typical fashion didn't think to produce the Owners Manual to be as informative as it could be. Not all engine sensors located on the block are shown and explained in there.
For future reference, the clock binnacle oil pressure needle gauge is operated by the bulbous sensor to the rear of the engine above the starter motor but the red light accompanying the gauge is operated by the sensor on the front of the block near the oil filter. It is the top sensor of two in that region with a single wire running to it.
Basically if the needle is not operating the sensor at the rear needs replacing. If the red light is lit up and you pull the single red wire from the sensor the light should go out. If it stays on, the sensor needs replacing.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Great that you have it sorted. Can you take a picture of where exactly the problem sensor is located? Wonder if Twin Sparks and V624 share the same layout.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts