Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
If it's anything like the 12 valve, there's a bit of trim vertically down one side. You either slide it up or down slightly and then pull it out. Be careful, the plastic clips on the back are quite brittle. Once pulled off, it exposes a couple of screws holding plastic clamps with hold one end of that module into the dash. Take them out and then gingerly tease that end of it out of the dash, until you can unhook the other end from its slot on the other side.

If it's not like the 12 valve - forget I said that!

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
In fact, just looking at images on Google, I reckon it probably IS the same. it's the vertical bit on the right of this image:

1593550446093.png

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks avo' I've done what you said. and I can see the whole unit is loose, but the speedo instrument top "black cowl/hood thing" is holding it all back, below the parking light switch, with no wriggle room, any way of taking that speedo hood off?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
On mine, the foam at the bottom of the binnacle and at the top of the vertical trim strip (and Alfa's traditionally "generous tolerances on fit!) have meant that I could JUST squeeze it up far enough.

However, (again, assuming it's like the 12 valve) you need to use a very thin blade to pull out the tiny rectangular (with curved ends) panels immediately above the dashboard light dimmer and the trip reset button. Be gentle and keep them square as you pull them out. They have plastic stalks moulded into the back of them that can snap off if you only lever one end out. Behind each of them, is a screw. Take those out, and the plastic moulding that they sat in, and which bridges over the top of the steering column, comes out. You'll then see the screws holding the binnacle. Take them out and lift it vertically (it's on keyhole slots at the windscreen side). Carefully pull off all the connectors for the instruments and lift it out.

·
Registered
332 Posts
If it's like mine that will get it loose on the right hand side but there will be a hidden screw on the left side under the carpet about mid way up the console, I didn't know this and ripped it off breaking the part where the screw went in, luckily it was a very clean break and glued seamlessly, if you have to pull the carpet back to get that screw out just leave it out, it's not needed anyway as it's held in so well by the other clamps and tabs, again, mine is a 12v but it could be the same

1 - 6 of 6 Posts