Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know, cLoverleaf, sorry.

Hi all,
Although the 164 is by no means finished, I have reached an important point in the proceedings, here is an update I promised 3 or 4 months ago,
For the benefit of the few that escaped my tale of despair here is a very short recap,
I had decided in January this year that I would get the 164 Cloverleaf sorted, it’s been a great car but it needed livening up in the horsepower department, and a few other things needed attention,
I set out a 6 month plan/budget of all the work that would need to be done and even gave myself goals each month to achieve (which I did), by the beginning of June other than the re-spray that was planned for the end of June, all was pretty much done.
It felt great to drive, so much so that I was taking the long way to work, 24 miles as opposed to less than 2, I wanted to be sure the engine was run in properly and the long way to work was a million times more fun than the boring route through Leicester, a good drive early morning is quite invigorating and clears the head ready to tackle a busy day at work, so all was fine and dandy, or so I thought.

Here’s a list of some of the bits done…
• V6 Cloverleaf motor out of D164 ALF and completely stripped again
• Replaced 6 pistons
• Totalseal gapless rings
• Colombo & Bariani medium road cams,
• All new shells and oil pump (crank was ground last year 0 miles on it)
• Heads refurbished & skimmed
• New clutch & slave cylinder
• The excellent Q2 diff
• Motor out of my daily 164 Cloverleaf over the Mayday B/H weekend
• And the freshly built motor back in and hooked up that week end
• 16 inch Spider/GTV wheels, new F1’s
• Denso Iridium plugs
• CG Locks
• I won’t bore you with any more

June the 6th and disaster struck in the form of being hit in the side by a rover 25 one morning on the way to work, in the blink of an eye I had 4 months work ahead just to get to where I had already been. Not in the least bit funny.:mad: :mad:

Suffice to say I had put quite a bit of time and effort into getting my Alfa the way I wanted it mechanically, and the new paint would have finished the car off. now it was written off instead.
When it all had to come apart again it gave me a chance to do a few things that didn’t happen first time around, making a positive out of a negative sort of thing.
I was now having to role reverse my Cloverleaf’s, using the ruins of my original 164 c/leaf (D164 ALF) as the base car, which unfortunately had been left out in the yard for a couple of years, during which I had robbed it many times for spares to “feed” its successors hunger, and the one that had received so much attention for 5 short months, has now become a skeleton of its former self.

D164 ALF now has all the above work transferred to it with a few additions,
• Autodelta headers and extractor system fitted,
• From headers and down to the cat: is carbon impregnated exhaust wrapped for better exhaust flow,
• O2 sensor,
• A much better front sub-frame (I managed to bend my other one),
• New brakes all round, with “Grooved & dimpled” on the front, and Black Diamond Drilled on the rear,
• Front drop-links
• Lots more without doubt

It’s pretty damn quick now, and the Q2 diff was well worth the extra bucks, so I may just enjoy it as it is (for a bit).

What’s next?
I am waiting for a delivery of some Pulstar plugs (Pulse type) from the States, not sure about these yet, I’ve read varying reviews but if the manufacturer’s bumph is to be believed they show dyno readouts of various cars all with improvements in the HP, Torque and MPG figures, we’ll soon see.
I’ve still got quite a few boxes of PowerFlex bushes to fit, rear suspension (front already done), and top engine stabilizer, not jobs to look forward to but they have to be done.

Ideally I want all mechanical work to be finished within the next couple of months, so it can settle before the paint is done, and here comes my next dilemma, which red should I have?
As you may have gathered I’m not a purist (sorry), so although it has to be a red, there are some great colours on the new Alfas, a 159 parked opposite the AROC gazebo at Stanford Hall this year caught my eye, and if I can remember where I put the paint code (luckily, its boot was open already) we shall probably give it a go.

MOT and TAXed!

D164 ALF lives again!!!

Thanks to Dave at Intaservices for all his help, use of the workshops, putting up with my moaning, loan car etc.
Dave French & Kirt at Engine Services,
Clive at Avon Racing,

But most importantly of all, big thanks to my wife Ali for letting me “go down the garage” constantly, and for letting me for the 1st week of our 2 week break “go down the garage” while she decorated (I did help a bit with this, honest), and for putting up with me screwing every last little horse power out of her Suzuki SX4 when we go anywhere.

Will keep you posted

Cheers,
Don

Attachments

·
Registered
379 Posts
your patience and dedication is amazing mate....Hope you can enjoy the car........put a blue stone on this one..[ keeps the evil eye away]!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Congrats on getting the old girl back on the road :thumbs:
All the hard work has payed off .Not many of the 164 clovers left ,i had a red 3 litre 12v ( non clover) about 12 years ago .I always wanted a cloverleaf but could never find/afford one .
Yours Looks :inlove: best of luck with her in the future.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Hi Don,

So sorry to heear about the haslle...but well done for turning round into something good. Must have been a dark day when it happened.

I used the same cams in the 12v motor in my strat rep. Seem to work pretty well. I also had a 3-angle valve seat job done and did some DIY port matching but otherwise it's a stock L spec. Not on the Motronic, but it made 198bhp/208ftlb on the dyno so I guess you'll be seeing the right side of 200 with your higher compression.

Interested in a couple of things if I may....

Crank grind (and more importantly, shells to go with it). I've heard assorted stories about this, but never found anyone who actually had the crank regound then found shells to fit afterward. Did you get it re-nitrided as well?...and where did the shells come from? Don't need any at the moment, and I have a spare crank as well...but you never know!

Q2 - a simple job on the face of it.....was it simply a case of stripping the back off the box, popping out the crownwheel/diff then swapping the diff itself? Any issues?? Considering I might have to fit one if my supercharger works as I hope it will......

Again, nice job and I admire your dedication/persistence!!

Cheers

·
Registered
32,440 Posts
Wow - what a turn around. Congrats :thumbs:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, motivation is whats needed in this sort of work, petrol / road tax price increase does not help the cause any, but I've made it this far, so it has to be finished now.
Chris- the crank was ground by a company that Dave French knows here in Leicester, although Frenchie got the brgs through his supplier, and no I did not have it nitrided as it wont be working that hard on the road.
The Cloverleaf V6 should be around 210hp out of the box, with all the extras I would like to think it should be around the 230 mark at least, but will dyno it when it has loosened up a bit.

Re: Q2 diff: yes out with the old & in with the new, fit new brgs and D/shaft seals also, but even easier with engine & box out.

Cheers
Don

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
That's brilliant!:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

An inspiration to all us 164 owners!

I'd be very interested to hear what you get on the rolling road when you put the car on. I wouldn't mind doing a similar mild uprating of my old 12 valve motor one day!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Don ...well done, glad its back.. last time I saw D164ALF was at Birdlip back in 2005 with the 164 register.
Do like those exhaust manifolds.. do they fit the 24v?
When was the last time you saw a 164 on the road?... have not seen one in Solihull area now for ages!

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Not sure about on the road, though last time Don saw one on top of a flat bed was yesterday, after my water pump seized on the way to work :( though has being scheduled for cambelt/tensioner/etc in December anyway...

(when it's back on the road...) you might see me drive up the M42 past Solihull on the way back from Stratford, as working there two days a week now. Believe it or not, traffic is better up the M42 than negotiating round Coventry during the evening rush hour, although their is the rather anoying overhead speed cameras every other sign

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Thanks guys, motivation is whats needed in this sort of work, petrol / road tax price increase does not help the cause any, but I've made it this far, so it has to be finished now.
Chris- the crank was ground by a company that Dave French knows here in Leicester, although Frenchie got the brgs through his supplier, and no I did not have it nitrided as it wont be working that hard on the road.
The Cloverleaf V6 should be around 210hp out of the box, with all the extras I would like to think it should be around the 230 mark at least, but will dyno it when it has loosened up a bit.

Re: Q2 diff: yes out with the old & in with the new, fit new brgs and D/shaft seals also, but even easier with engine & box out.

Cheers
Don
Thanks for that info Don. Quite agree that the nitriding isn't essential - plenty of cranks out there that never have it.

230 is probably a good estimate I'd think. One thing I've slowly learned over the years....power figures tend to get exaggerated!! Some folk think a new airfilter and a noisy back box are worth 50bhp.....and the stories that some of the tuning product vendors come up with don't help.

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
The nitriding on these cranks though is the only wear prevention they have and it states in the Alfa Tech notes that these cranks can NOT be reground, I know people have done it, but it always comes back to haunt them. Otherwise a top job sir.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Looking very sweet! So much hard work, but it's paying off! Well, figuratively... Keep the pics coming! :thumbs:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do you know how the re-ground cranks were failing Smaky?
I think we re-ground Dex's when we did his motor 2 or 3 years ago, but I may be wrong.
Don

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Yes, they where overheating the journals and the crank itself was piting, this then ground the bearing shells and and wore out the engine with the lubricating paste of oil and filings.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
For the nitriding to be essential...that implies that there is a problem to me. An oil film isn't going to wear a journal.

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
Interested to hear of your rebuild which is what I am trying to do at the moment, you,ve maybe seen the thread, I am trying to source a full gasket set at the moment and although eb spares are coming up trumps , where did you get yours and at what price, they seem to vary a lot but still all quite dear ------- understandably.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I've had a few V6 gasket sets from E-bay before now. Sometimes you can get away with one for the 'wrong' engine, plus pick up the missing bits elsewhere. A full, OEM set used to be £300+ IIRC. Non-OEM head gaskets from these kits look a bit pants, but seem to work OK.

EB are always a good call as you have probably found.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts