Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hellooooooo

I have trawled and trawled... and still I have no screws....

Does anyone know of a place to get those fake plastic cap screws for the 16 inch 164 Cloverleaf Speedlines?

Or if anyone has actually done this, can they be replaced with real Allen Cap Screws, if so, what size and material/finish will I need?

Rather have the Speedline fake ones though to keep the car original.

TVMIA
Tiff

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Hi,

I had my split rim Speedlines refurbished on my 164 QV before it self combusted (see my article towards the back of issue 156 of Auto Italia). The company I used was called Lepsons (Lepson's - Home - Breathing New Life Into Alloy Wheels) and they did an awesome job with polished and lacquered rims. They drilled out all the old plastic studs and replaced with stainless steel studs which looked good and close enough for me - and, trust me, I'm fussy! You cannot get the plastic studs anymore. I tried a couple of years ago and exhausted all avenues to no avail. A good refurbisher should be able to sort. My wheels worked out at approx £250 all in and it was well worth it. They transformed the car to showroom condition. If Lepsons are no good, check out a local wheel refurbisher and explain the situation. Good luck!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

I had my split rim Speedlines refurbished on my 164 QV before it self combusted (see my article towards the back of issue 156 of Auto Italia). The company I used was called Lepsons (Lepson's - Home - Breathing New Life Into Alloy Wheels) and they did an awesome job with polished and lacquered rims.... .....If Lepsons are no good, check out a local wheel refurbisher and explain the situation. Good luck!
Hiya

I have been trying to find a local refurbisher who will do polishing and paint without success for many months. I contacted Lepsons who flatly refused to supply the studs. I also emailed them to try a different approach, i.e. send them the 5 wheels to refurb, just like you did, and they never replied. Their loss.

In the end I gave up with the local refurbishers and the attitude of all the others I spoke to and contacted, and since I have been practising refurbishing and polishing with old alloys, I have now successfully managed to refurb paint and polish 5 of these pepperpot alloys. They look amazing. I am waiting for delivery of M6 x 10 Stainless Steel Allen Cap Screws from a Wishaw engineering supplies company and I'll then tap the 5mm holes to M6, fit the screws and finally polish and lacquer the complete wheels ready for new tyres.

I'll stick some pics up when I've finished them properly.

Cheers for the suggestions. It's a shame no-one is interested in taking on this work, however it's my gain! :D
D

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Hiya

I have been trying to find a local refurbisher who will do polishing and paint without success for many months. I contacted Lepsons who flatly refused to supply the studs. I also emailed them to try a different approach, i.e. send them the 5 wheels to refurb, just like you did, and they never replied. Their loss.

In the end I gave up with the local refurbishers and the attitude of all the others I spoke to and contacted, and since I have been practising refurbishing and polishing with old alloys, I have now successfully managed to refurb paint and polish 5 of these pepperpot alloys. They look amazing. I am waiting for delivery of M6 x 10 Stainless Steel Allen Cap Screws from a Wishaw engineering supplies company and I'll then tap the 5mm holes to M6, fit the screws and finally polish and lacquer the complete wheels ready for new tyres.

I'll stick some pics up when I've finished them properly.

Cheers for the suggestions. It's a shame no-one is interested in taking on this work, however it's my gain! :D
D
They probably didn't do any more after mine all those years ago. I thought the price was too good to be true as they did a fantastic job. It would probably cost a fortune in labour to get them done. Good luck though and would be v interested to see how they turn out.

·
Registered
160 Posts
i would have thought stainless ones would be way nicer than the plastic ones anyway :D
You've got to be really careful if you fit S/S ones. The reason they were originally plastic was to prevent galvanic corrosion between two dissimilar metals. Unless you can insert the studs and absolutely guarantee that you haven't made even the slightest scratch in the paint/lacquer, then they won't last very long and your wheels will corrode. Sorry if I've pi**ed on anyone's bonfire.

PS: I have a spare set, in need of refurbishment, if anyone's interested. It's the gold set you can see on my car in the signature photo. The centres are good (although gold), it's just the rims that need cleaning and polishing. Any sensible offers considered.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
what size

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
...Unless you can insert the studs and absolutely guarantee that you haven't made even the slightest scratch in the paint/lacquer, then they won't last very long and your wheels will corrode. Sorry if I've pi**ed on anyone's bonfire.
I was really worried about this as I understand the concept of galvanic corrosion. I was going to tap the 5mm holes out to M6 and screw the Allen Caps in, then finally lacquer the complete wheels. I was worried about corrosion.

On reflection, it may be best to lacquer the wheels then GLUE a set of M5 (or for clearance M4.5 if I can find them, or an Imperial size similar) Stainless Allen Cap Screws in place.

OR......

Is there an Allen Screw available in Alloy?????

Thoughts? I'm nearly finished so now is the time to make the right decision!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They probably didn't do any more after mine all those years ago. I thought the price was too good to be true as they did a fantastic job. It would probably cost a fortune in labour to get them done. Good luck though and would be v interested to see how they turn out.

I'll pop some pics up when they're done.

I'd have thought Lepson's would have been happy to take money for a couple of hundred plastic cap screws though. Bad business IMHO.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Some sort of gluing option would be the best way to go although mine lasted fine after having stainless ones fitted.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I do believe that I did see uncle muncles wheels at a nad meet a few years ago??
I have some high res pics of these wheels?? ... It inspired me to get my own done .. but have hit a brick wall ref the bolts .
However. I am now refurbishing my spare set of wheels myself .. and having polished them am now fitting Chrome vanadium 12 point flanged head bolts to my fake speedline split rims.
This is not a cheap option as the bolts are manufactured in Germany.
I am taping the rims & epoxying the bolts in.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have pics of uncle muncles wheels... I think that they are yours... uncle... and other pics of my wheels in progress ... but have tried to upload here but .. think they are too large a file ???
So email me for more info .. unless I am doing something wrong1
They do not want to upload for some reason.

Attachments

·
Registered
725 Posts
Hmmm

One of the people I used to work with had this dilemma with his TVR. I can ask the question with him as I know he had the work done a good couple of years ago now and was pleased with the results.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I do believe that I did see uncle muncles wheels at a nad meet a few years ago??
I have some high res pics of these wheels?? ... It inspired me to get my own done .. but have hit a brick wall ref the bolts .
However. I am now refurbishing my spare set of wheels myself .. and having polished them am now fitting Chrome vanadium 12 point flanged head bolts to my fake speedline split rims.
This is not a cheap option as the bolts are manufactured in Germany.
I am taping the rims & epoxying the bolts in.
I am ready to fit the replacement cap screws to my 5 refurbed wheels. I'm interested to know more about what you are doing... The holes left when the plastic fake screws are removed are 5mm diameter x 15mm deep. How are you fitting these M7x24 bolts?

Cheers
Tiff

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have pics of uncle muncles wheels... I think that they are yours... uncle... and other pics of my wheels in progress ... but have tried to upload here but .. think they are too large a file ???
These pics are just fine mate. And these look like what I am currently planning with stainles steel M6 x 10 allen cap screws UNLESS I see a better option. :D

According to unkle munkle there was no issue with galvanic corrosion with ss fitted into ally

I am even looking into using nylon M6 cap screws painted silver....

cheers

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hmmm

One of the people I used to work with had this dilemma with his TVR. I can ask the question with him as I know he had the work done a good couple of years ago now and was pleased with the results.
Would you? Many thanks in advance! :thumbs:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I`m getting there ..?
LOL :thumbs: I'd say you're getting there. Good job!

Mine are slightly different as I've retained the painted centres and just polished the rims. I'll stick some pics up shortly when I have time.

Are you not concerned about galvanic corrosion between the two different metals?

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Ahhh, memories. That's my baby. Still can't believe she went up in flames a couple of years ago nearly to the day. A bad way for an awesome and mint car to go. Still, the 166 Super just about makes up for it! Wheels are looking good mate. You'll be afraid to drive it once they're on!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts