Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have recently been experiencing the following problems with my 1995 164 QV.

On acceleration from 40-50mph in top gear, the steering wheel pulled to the left and the car veered to the right. It needed two new front tyres, so I put it down to that and got the tracking done at the same time. Anyway, after a couple of attempts to get the car set up, it became apparent there was another problem. With the car up in the air we were able to wobble the N/S front wheel and saw the play in the wishbone.

So, it's new wishbone and ball joint time! It is all getting changed at the weekend and, hopefully, this will make the car feel much nicer to drive!

I just wanted to ask if there was anything else to be changed or to worry about while the old girl is in bits. I'm hoping not and this will make a big difference. I thought it best to change both sides while up in the air as the total cost for the parts was only £150.

Thoughts and comments appreciated....

·
Registered
518 Posts
well worth doing mate, car will be transformed, worth checking condition of steering rack gaitors, track rod ends also. Ask them to check for play in the steering rack while they are under there, the bush that holds it in place often wears causing some sideways movement of the rack.

Mike

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
..i had the anti-roll bar bushes in the TB done recently and it was worthwhile, even though the existing ones weren't too bad.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
The trut swivel bearings between the bottom spring pan and the damper body don't seem to last long. They're a big yellow plastic bearing race and only about a tenner. Could be worth checking them or even replacing them anyway as a matter of course.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments chaps. Avocet, do you know how easy the strut swivel bearings are to change?

·
Registered
518 Posts
pretty easy, you have to remove the strut assembly and compress the spring (important you do this or face injury) undo top bolt (best to get air wrench on it or you wont be able to grip the shaft) and replace bearing. Good idea to replace the gaitors whiule you are at it.

Mike

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Yes, it can be an absolute Bu55er to get the nut off the top of the piston rod! Some have an internal hexagon to put an Allen key in but it doesn't always work and obviously stops you from using a socket and air wrench. Might be worth trying to crack the nut off before doing anything else (i.e. with the weight of the car still resting on everything). In theory it shouldn't make any difference but in practice it sometimes does! Also worth marking the spring and its pans and the damper body for re-assembly. My first 164 had a nastyknocking sound on full lock because someone had put them back together in the wrong orientation. Swapping the bearings is simplicity itself - no press needed. The old ones will probably come apart in your hands anyway!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the comments folks. The springs etc seemed fine. The wishbones were quite a straight forward job and the front end has been nicely tightened up. It has reduced the torque steer too. As for the faulty wishbone, the pressed bush fell out, when removed from the car! I get a dull thud over speed bumps ever since I've had the car and put it down to the worn anti-roll bar bushes that attach to the body.

Unfortunately the O/S steering rack gaitor has completely split, so I've got to replace that now. Would of been nice to of done that while it was all apart! Nevermind.

The joys of Alfa ownership!

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts