Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

We have a 164 Cloverleaf (our second) and a 166. Always have and always will love Alfas.
Both need an MOT and we know we have some minor issues and we are looking for a little help.

164 - Handbrake
I have read a few articles on here and have similar issues but not found the answers, so apologies if this has been answered already.
The only failure at MOT was on the handbrake not working on one side.
I have had a look and tightened the adjuster nut on the handbrake lever, this has seemed to tighten the cables underneath and definitely feels tighter at the lever.
The cable on one side does feel looser that the other, but does seem to tighten when the handbrake is on.
A lot of posts I read mentioned the caliper and renewing or adjusting this.
What is the best way to tell if i need to do this?

166 - Rear Lights
We have had fun and games with the rear lights for a couple of years in a row.
The boot mounted clusters don't want to work.
We have tried a new lights module, new bulbs etc and still don't want to work.
I have tested and the connector is getting voltage on most of the wires.:confused:
Anyone else had anything like this?

Apologies for long post, any help greatly appreciated. :)

·
Administrator
5,041 Posts
Do you mean you have change the green M45 light ecu near the fuses? If so the only thing which can stop both boot clusters working would be the wiring loom from the car to the boot.

Slice the rubber and see how many snapped wires you find.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, have changed the M45 Unit, was a used unit but assured was working, no different.
Oh joy, was hoping it wouldn't be that, time to have some wiring fun then!

Thanks for the quick reply

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Handbrake is a bit poor on a 164. Adjusting the cable is rarely the answer though. First of all, slacken the cable completely and check that the arm on the caliper that it pulls on can return FULLY to its stop. You might even have to take the cable off it altogether. If the arm CAN return to its stop, move it with a screwdriver or something and see how far it moved before the handbrake comes on. It shouldn't be very far at all - 10mm or less, perhaps. If it does NOT return fully, the mechanism inside the caliper can't get another "bite" on its self-adjusting mechanism and the arm tends to travel too far so it runs out of travel before it can clamp the pads hard against the disc. Sometimes, the only solution if the arm can't be freed off, is a reconditioned caliper (although they're not THAT dear on eBay).

Once satisfied that the caliper is working correctly, re-connect the cable and make sure that the drag of the cable doesn't prevent the arm from returning fully. If it does, you might need a new cable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts