Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, newbie here, but have had 2 previous 156's, currently own a TS, and now have a 164. And here's the problem which you clever people will have sorted before. This one is a sweetie, that is it was before this happened. 1997 2.0 Super, carefully parked off-road before the winter, running perfectly. Battery discharged completely over Xmas, so removed and re-charged. Reinstalling carefully, I can -with the key in - make the code light go out, start the engine, but after a short time the hazards come on every 30secs. I have tried every combination suggestion in the handbook, but the car did not come with a remote control - and the battery had been previously refitted by the small dealer who is now no longer in business. What am I doing wrong? with one combination the opening of the door will provide one flash of the hazards and another on closing - only once the engine runs beyond idle do they start flashing constantly. I know it's simple, I have tried the alarm key switch in the boot etc, but any ideas? When I bought it it ran fine with no remote - and he wasn't a crook..:confused:

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Hello and welcome. :)

I'm trying to remember if there's a reset sequence for this or not. Are you saying you don't have the remote for the car, and you are using the key to lock/unlock? I can't recall if this is properly deactivating the alarm (in the UK the audible sounder is not active - immobiliser only, I believe), but the side lights flash differently for alarm/immobiliser on and off (one long flash for ON, three short ones for OFF) . I presume that they are flashing continuously after 30 seconds or so while engine is running?

I take it you didn't have this problem before battery discharged?

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Just noticed, mine's a V6, yours is a 2.0. Don't think that should make a difference, however, as they're the same year.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, thanks. No I don't have the remote, but when I picked the car up it worked flawlessly, and I do have the master key as well. The battery discharged completely in the cold, and was then removed and charged. When it is re-connected there are 3 flashes, but no matter what sequence I try; previously central locked, unlocked, key in, master key in, alarm boot lock activated/de-activated the same thing happens - at some stage the hazards kick in and start flashing. On some sequences the engine is immobilised, on others the engine fires but the immobiliser light keeps flashing - very frustrating..

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Three flashes indicates that the system is deactivated. Hmmmm....

Anyone else have any ideas? :confused:

·
Registered
177 Posts
You've found the small flap of carpet in the boot that can be lifted to reveal an on/off switch.

Turning this with the ignition key will turn off the alarm. It doesn't turn off the immobiliser though, which is a separate module under the steering column covers.

If the CODE light is going out, then the immo module is checking the key and validating it ok. The immo then puts +12v onto a pin on the Bosch ECU, allowing the engine to start.

I'm wondering if the immo is dropping this +12v supply shortly after the engine runs. Whether this would cause your problem I am not sure.

If you need any voltages measuring, or anything comparing, let me know. I've got a 1997 2.0TS Super as well (factory fitted alarm).

·
Registered
177 Posts
I meant to ask in my last post, on the dashboard, at the very top, centre, is a rectangular red LED.

What does this LED do ?

When the alarm is de-activated, it should be OFF, and not flashing. I've had problems with mine where I can get in the car, the alarm isn't set or going off, but the LED is still flashing. One press of the remote sorts the problem out.

I think that with the alarm turned off (using the switch in the boot), the sensors remain active.

The remote control therefore has two functions. One to open the doors (central locking), the other to turn off the alarm.

Finally, the alarm has IT's OWN battery !! It's built into the alarm module. Therefore if the alarm is on, and you remove the car battery, it continues to protect the car. The alarm will sound for quite some time (getting quieter as the internal battery dies) !

The remote fob on my system is infra-red, and has to be pointed at the sensors located in the rooflight panel near the rear view mirror.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi, thanks, we now suspect it has a second Alfa after-market alarm fitted...After dismantling the box in the boot, the siren/switch have already been disconnected, and there is a second siren under he bonnet (also disconnected) and an infrared receiver on the windscreen in addition to the one on the roof. Where is the alarm module with the battery so it can be removed?
Thanks

·
Registered
177 Posts
To be honest, I'm not sure !

I was assuming it was near the switch in the boot, but I've never bothered to find mine. I just know it has a battery as it remains functional with the main car battery removed from the car !

Anyone else know where the factory fitted alarm lives on a 2.0TS 164 ?

·
Registered
393 Posts
The alarm control module N45 is sited under the boot trim, the opposite side of the siren.12v should be found between pins 5 an12 and ground, Zero v between pin 9 and ground.
There are two fuses 10 a and 3 a [siren] in the anti theft system adjacent to the battery which you might check for continuity .
Suggest battery could be in very poor condition and source of the problem.in the first place,
Try new battery and ensure all parts of the system
ie doors,bonnet boot sensors operate.and boot illumination switch and indicator lamps .are functional.

If all to no avail .a word with maker of the ad on system might get you sorted.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Aha, Alf kemosabe, this makes a lot of sense, in order to further our progress to the stars (if not the moon in the meantime) I will report back directly tomorrrow. Will post full details if it works..
(frankly all I want to do is cut the right wires, not bothered about an alarm)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts