Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hola ppl,
been toying with the idea of tranplanting either one of the above into my 155. anyone has done this before? can it even be done?

B

·
0 Posts
There was a thread on this last year (may have been archived). I believe they used the 3.0 24v.
Have a search through some of the older threads, or perhaps somebody can remember more about it.
I also seem to remember some photos of the engine bay.

·
Registered
18 Posts
bob0962 said:
hola ppl,
been toying with the idea of tranplanting either one of the above into my 155. anyone has done this before? can it even be done?
I've got a 3.0 V6 24v out of a 164 in my 155 and its sweet so yes it can be done and it was done by my mate who didn't even need to change ecu apparently it just dropped in and run sweet.
good luck and have fun :lol:

G

·
0 Posts
Im looking into this at the moment... it seems the 164 engines have all the water cooling feeds on the wrong side of the engine for the 155, so everything has to be piped round, also the thermostat housing means the engine bay will need to be modified

Not sure about the 156 engine

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Cream try contacting JAAP he has done this conversion and will be able to give you some advice................I think it was him or another of the lads from Belguim anyway :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

AFAIK its fairly straight forward just needs a bit of pipework to make it fit ;)

Btw if you go this way you gonna sel me your old cams :confused: :p :p

G

·
0 Posts
Well the cams will go in the 3.0 heads i think... so loads of torque and loads of power at the top end too, once its remapped...

Could you afford these cams anyway ????, with me facing a bill for who knows what ??? a 4 figure sum but hopefully without a 2 at the start...

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
According to all the guy`s i`ve spoke to 155 cams wont fit into 164 heads without some machining work on the heads and vice versa but they could be wrong :confused:

And it depends how much you might want for them :confused: I know how much a new pair of tweaked cams are ;) :D

G

·
0 Posts
speed freak said:
According to all the guy`s i`ve spoke to 155 cams wont fit into 164 heads without some machining work on the heads and vice versa but they could be wrong :confused:

And it depends how much you might want for them :confused: I know how much a new pair of tweaked cams are ;) :D
will find out soon if they fit...

So do i ....

G

·
0 Posts
speed freak said:
Well i`ll await the outcome and if they don`t fit your decision on how much you want for them :D :D

Gather your not going for the 24valve option then..............
Have you seen the cam belt on a 24V ???? a 12 V enigne is what 300 quid... a 24 V engine is 800 quid when its sat in the dirt on the floor

Finally been to look at my car tonight, it didnt help my mood, maybe i'll just never go back... abandon it were it is, move house etc...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
guys,
i'm seriously looking into these options (transplanting a 164v6 24v on the 155. stevie, since you have done it before, perhaps you can offer me some advise on how to get it done. i imagine it's not just as straight forward as..take the 155 engine out, put it the 164 engine, and voila!. at least the piping needs to be reworked. and what about sensors, gearbox, cams, etc?
cream, i'm having the impression you are also toying with the idea and perhaps we can share notes.
the rest of the gang, pls offer your opinions and advise/expertise, i'd sure appreciate it. no one has done it over here, so i do need all the help i can get.

G

·
0 Posts
Well since my 155 V6 eat itslef i have no option but to transplant somesort of engine.... i dont think i could handle a stock 2.5 engine after the the modified one i had...

But i get so many different stories about fitting different engines, the guys at peak alfa say its a 'night mare and not worth doing for a road car'... jamie porter says 'lob it in no problem at all' , so i dunno really...

both 164 engines have there cooling system inlets/outlets the other side of the engine it seams, the thermostat housing fouls part of the bulkhead, the engine mounts may need to be moved and there are issues with getting the motronic systems working.. and the ECU will need to be re-mapped possibly

Howard who is looking after my car listens to all this and just smiles, hes never done this conversion before, but i suppose if you transplant Lancia 8 32 engines in the back of Lancia stratos replicas, a poxy 155 is easy really

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
cream, so you had a v6 in the first place. i'm just having a 2.0 version so it might not be as straight forward as i'd like to think. i can get a 164 engine real easy over here and the 12v are quite cheap. and the cost of it can easily offset any upgrades on my existing 2.0 (cams, etc).
then again, the 156v6 engine are comparatively very new and i assume with newer technology as well (my assumption). but they are not that cheap.
i'm quite undecided, really. so i do really need the advise here.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Bob if yours is a 2.0 liter then you will not only need the engine but the ecu and poss the code /immobiliser keys etc to get it run as your code system and ecu wont match the ones for the V6 engine :rolleyes:

You may also find the gear ratio`s in the 2.0 gearbox are wrong for the engine as well.........................ideally you need the whole car so you can get everything you need to do a transplant

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sorry I've not been back to you sooner but i've been busy
I personally didn't fit the engine it was done by my mate before i bought the car but he didn't say there were any probs.
I'll give him a good quizzing and find out all i can for you
Might take a day or two but leave it with me

Cheers :p

A

·
0 Posts
Mr Pillans tells me that the new GTV/Spider V6 motor will slot straight into a 155/156. A 156 V6 will slot straight into a 155. The 164 V6 motors will not go in as the thermostat housing sticks out too far and fouls the chassis leg. This is because the 164 has a wider engine bay.

He is in the process of putting a 3.0 24v motor in a 156 and has some knowlege of the pitfalls. If you are serious about trying this mod, pm me for his no. BTW he breaks cars to keep himself in beer tokens, so please buy some bits from him in return for his advise :D

Col.

L

·
0 Posts
all v6 engines fit from 93 and on (the faceliftet model) they have two
holes in the heads on the gearbox side where you put the thermostat housing from the old 2,5 liter v6 on you must have ecu the yellow key control box and key from the car or else you wont get it runing proberly
if done it ill send some pics

1 - 20 of 24 Posts