Alfa Romeo Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts
Definately worth checking the rear shock and spring as this caused floaty handlig at motorway speeds when I first got mine took a front suspension, arm and bush rebuild to realise it was the rear shock on the rear right side causing the problem it made the front come up too much under power and it felt awful.

Good call on the fuse in the boot. I nearly had a car fire like that once! Luckily, just acrid smoke. Could have been a whole lot worse...

Wheelspin isn't THAT much of a problem with a half-decent set of tyres. They go hard with age, so yours will be like Bakelite by now! I tried a taller profile on one of my 164s - waste of time and made the straight line high-speed stability pretty horrible. Couldn't wait to get rid of them!
Seriously, I did just under 300 miles in mine today and couldn't break traction in 2nd or higher. Even in 1st, it needed a fair bit of provocation - though once you do "light up" the nearside tyre, it's very easy to keep it smoking.
Torque-steer is a problem on them. I find they're pretty sensitive to tracking (they run a bit of toe-OUT at the front). Polyurethane bushes on the REAR of the front wishbones seem to make a difference too. As has been said, the wheel spacers make a difference. Some sorts of tyre are worse than others for torque-steer. I liked Bridestone Expedias, but it's a while since I had them. Of the "budget" tyres, so far, I've liked the Kuhmo KU31 tyres the best. Currently on Falken ZE914 tyres. They're "ok", but I preferred the Kumhos.

Odd that it's sitting HIGH! All the springs in mine have always sagged (must lay off the pies)! I've just replaced some KYB front springs with Suplex. Will see how they go. The car would bottom-out at the back with half a tank of fuel, and a 2 and a 4 year old in the back! I fitted a pair of rear springs from a 24V car and they were much better - (bit too high at the back now, in fact).

Sorry its rained on and off all day so not had a chance dry tomorrow I hope as Not been able to do mine either will let you know as soon as I can.:thumbs:

Have you managed to get the door open yet. Is it just the drivers door thats stuck.

Hi hope these help
Top pipe is the fuel pipe
next down is the clutch master cyl
then the right hand front brake pipe
the 2 below are the rear pipes that go under the chassis to the limiter valve on the rear.
They all go to the abs on the left of the engine bay.
On the unity they are :
VL (left front )
VR (right front)
HR (right rear)
HL (left rear)

The 2 at the bottom front of the abs unit come from the brake master cyl left side bulk head.

Been thinking about the door problem. I had asimilar thing with mine and the lock sensor switch in the door was getting wet (insufficient grease) and I couldn't open inside or out .
The problem is getting at it without damaging the door panel.
Mine felt like neither outside or inside was connected.
The only thing it could be other than that is if the plastic clip that holds the rod on the lock has broken or come off.
First thing to try would be to spray some WD40 or similar in the outer lock (key hole) and unscrew the lock pin on the top of the inside panel and spray a good amount down the rod and leave it to do it's thing over night then see what happens before you resort to damaging the panel.

I'm not sure about the earlier 164 as my panels are slightly different but most of mine is push clips but there are screws along the bottom edge and 1 behind the opening handle and 2 in the middle these last 3 are large ones ( bolts with philips heads)
You would be best to take off the passenger side as it opens and then you can see exactly where everything is.

From memory, there are a few little links in the door latch mechanism that need to move away to allow the claws that grip the striker to release. It could be that there's nothing wrong with any of your door handle mechanisms and that the problem is just that the little links are seized so even though pulling the handles moves everything to the release position, the springs on the links can't overcome the friction in the seized pivots and they just stay latched.

Might be worth repeatedly and rapidly beating the door panel (outside or inside) with your fist as hard as you dare, while getting someone to hold the handle (interior or exterior) in the "open" position and applying a gentle pressure to the door in the opening direction. It MIGHT just "shock" the links free and allow it to open. You'll then be able to lubricate the claws before shutting it again.

Discussion starter · #31 ·
door sorted took the panel out with the door closed comes in 2 parts actually,took me and a friend to open it and the problem was top hinge loose and the door sitting on the lock.had the friend holding up the door while i was tightening the top hinge bolt[10 mm socket and flat screwdriver],all perfect after that works like new.now where do i find an outer plastic handle?

Discussion starter · #32 ·
thanks for pics gibot the 2 pipes from master to abs are rotten split in half.ill take the intake out and see if i can squeeze my hand in there and from the 2 sides.ill repaint the trumpets as well with chrome paint as they are rusty.

Glad you're getting somewhere it will be worth it beleive me.:thumbs:

door sorted took the panel out with the door closed comes in 2 parts actually,took me and a friend to open it and the problem was top hinge loose and the door sitting on the lock.had the friend holding up the door while i was tightening the top hinge bolt[10 mm socket and flat screwdriver],all perfect after that works like new.now where do i find an outer plastic handle?
Odd failure mode! Still, glad you got it sorted. Was it the RIGHT HAND front outer door handle? If so, I'll see if I have anything when I get home next week. I think they're actually metal. If I do, it will be red, I'm afraid. All my previous 164s have been red. Trouble is, when I broke them, I'm not sure I bothered keeping the door handles... I mean, what can go wrong with a door handle?! Trouble is, I later found out it was quite a common 164 failure...

A little brake update .
Finally got the courage up to actually tackle the pipes today several hours of cursing the Italian
cad designer who mapped the pipes out and a bruised nail :cry: later and finally got the old pipes off and the 2 new front ones bent and in situ.
will post a pic tomorrow but it was getting dark when I finally stopped.!
I think if its just the 2 to the master cylinder that have burst on yours you should be ok!
The access through the left hand arch is not too bad but I would recommend removing the air filter box as you will have a problem when you come to shaping and positioning the pipes back into the 3 metal and rubber clamps that hold the 6 pipes together below the frame that the air box is bolted to.
It's more a problem of having room to manipulate the pipes as the air box takes up a lot of space over the top of the abs unit.
It might be a good chance to check the earth bolt on the lower front panel while your there and the gearbox earth strap while the arch cover is off.
Have a good look at the front pipe joints to the flexi hoses while your there. They tend to rot and will be a MOT issue .
When I undid the right hand one I moved it about 1/8 of a turn and it just snapped. :eek:

Discussion starter · #36 ·
thanks avocet for the handle offer it is for sure plastic and its the right driver door outer one.a friend with a lancia prisma was having them replaced every year same plastic trouble.gibot sorry for your nail this **** happens you know.i ll get working on her soon but for the momment i am in the process of repainting my beautiful 155 silverstone.poor little car i have it in restoration for 1 year now but in 1 month i should have it on the road,give it a name[hope]:D,she even escaped a police hot pursuit some time ago.after that i give the winter to the 164,dont have a name for her yet.

Oh yes looking really smart. :cool:

Discussion starter · #39 ·
ups

ups maybe i have upset some people with my 155 pictures,sorry.in fact i had around 15 alfas by now and still have 5 in the fammily love them all.if i had the money i would buy all the alfas that go to scrap and keep them in my private expo.:inlove:

21 - 40 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.