Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone this is my first attempt at a thread so here goes!
I've currently got a problem with my Alfa 164 24V Super in that it is not running very smooth, and there seems to be resistance and hesitancy at low revs although the car starts perfectly ok and idles at the correct rpm. This will clear as the throttle is depressed but will then re-appear at odd intervals throughout the rev range and amy also miss a bit during hard cornering. To put it in a nutshell when driving it feels like something is holding it back and then it releases and frees up as you get through the affected rev range. I’ve checked around the airflow meter and there seems to be a lot of muck/oil around it and the car is drinking fuel. Has anyone had the same problem? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hi,
I probably won't be the only one to mention it, but it's possible that the cam belt has slipped a tooth or two on one of the camshaft pulleys.
My old 164 felt exactly the same as you describe.
I took mine to the garage initially to check for a faulty plug or HT issue, but after a compresion test, they discovered that a pulley on the rear bank of cylinders was out of adjustment.
They said that the belt had jumped two teeth (surprising, considering that the engine's top end had been rebuilt not that long before I bought it!) but also mentioned that they'd seen the same thing several times before and with the same pulley!
It could be that your problem is something entirely different, but it's worth getting the timing checked before you start throwing money at various other components.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
id also check the duct from the afm to the plenum cos mine did exactly the same and it had a split in it.It was ok ticking over but as soon as any load was put on the engine it would resist then at certain rpms it would pick up again.So check ALL the breather pipes

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Super164 I'll get it checked. Great looking 164 by the way. Is that an ANSA exhaust you have as I couldnt get a replacement as I was told that ANSA no longer made them? I've got a supersprint on at the moment but they don't make them any more either. Thanks once again. Gerlad.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks fetta head I'll check it out at the weekend. Great looking GTV6and I'm going green at this very moment!
Cheers

Gerlad

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
did you sort out youre erratic runnung problem

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi fetta head.

Sorry i'm replying a bit late. Yes, the duct was very messy with oily deposits around where it joins the afm. I gunked that off and looked at the duct which has a lot of surface cracks in the folds, but I couldn't actually see any clear splits. I tried running the engine and moving the duct to see if the engine note changed and typically it didnt do anything untoward. Rain stopped play however so this weekend I'm going to take the whole thing off and have a really good look! I've just got to figure out how to get the hose clips off!
Cheers

Gerlad

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Yep, give it a good clean as it may improve things but your symptons seem in line with a faulty lambda probe. One test for a bad lambda probe on the 164 24v is to try to hold the revs at say, 3000 rpm. If the lambda is faulty, the ECU will hunt and the revs will cycle between the 3000 you're holding and around 2600rpm. When you're driving on a straight run you will get the feeling that power is restricted and then released.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Before you get too into it, see if you can get someone to check the timing. I'd have saved myself a lot of time, hassle and money if I'd done that.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
chunky? :eek: fu :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mega apologies V6junky! brain wasn't in gear.

Tried what you suggested and held it at 3000rpm. Revs then went to about 3500 and dropped back to 3000 then did it again so you may be right about the lamda sensor. Next job is to find where it is and the route it takes to the engine bay. Do you have any pointers?

Thanks once again.

Gerlad

1 - 12 of 12 Posts