Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, my 164 has a misfire that you wouldn't notice when idling?, but gets progressively worse as the speed increases, pretty bad at 60/70, but never cuts out? tootling around at 30/40 it's bearable. I have changed the 6 plugs and also fitted 6 new bosch coils while I was at it, because it's such a faff getting the plenum off, but no difference was noticed. I was wondering if the ECU could cause these symptoms, or does that either work or not work with no inbetweens? btw this all came about when the crank sensor failed and a new bosch one was fitted, she has had the misfire ever since.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Please excuse my ignorance but does the 164 have a MAF?
I know loss of power in the higher rev range can be caused by that on 166s.
But a misfire I'm not so sure.
ChrisS?

·
Registered
780 Posts
My first thought was crank sensor. I used to have the same issue with my old 12v Cloverleaf. I know you said it has been replaced of course, but...?

I wonder if dirt/corrosion could have got into the contacts on the ignition modules on the airbox?

It could be lots of things really.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My first thought was crank sensor. I used to have the same issue with my old 12v Cloverleaf. I know you said it has been replaced of course, but...?

I wonder if dirt/corrosion could have got into the contacts on the ignition modules on the airbox?

It could be lots of things really.
thanks haydn, I will check that out to-morrow, do you by any chance know which crank sensor is correct for the 164 '95 24v, I am wondering if I fitted the wrong one. this is the one that's on now bosch 0261210047 3 pin connector, I'm pretty sure there are two different types of this., what do you reckon?

·
Registered
780 Posts
The Alfa part number is 60560715 which seems to correspond to Bosch 0261210047. The below thread may be of use to you. I seem to recall there are 2 types/lengths... It's never straightforward with Alfas!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Alfa part number is 60560715 which seems to correspond to Bosch 0261210047. The below thread may be of use to you. I seem to recall there are 2 types/lengths... It's never straightforward with Alfas!

thanks very interesting, I tried to buy 60560715, but it's discontinued, looks like i'll have to check everything, it's going to be a nightmare.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Have you got the diagnostic software available on the alfa164register website? Install it on a laptop, plug in an OBD lead between the laptop and the motronic ecu in the car (diagnostic plug should be accessible from the footwell, the ecu should be somewhere below the centre console). With the ignition on, or engine running, the software will read the car's error codes. You can also see love data about your car if the engine is running. Very handy software

·
Registered
780 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks again, I will look into all that you have said, I didn't know about the 164 register, it sounds daft but I havn't got a lap top, so could be messing forever,

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hi taf, the part no. is printed on the top of it, still available new. it looks like this is a sealed unit, can they be cleaned in any way? their is some sort of moving alloy gate inside it, not sure I should dismantle this.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Given it didn't have the misfire issue before the CPS failed, and now does, (and assuming nothing else was changed), it kind of points the finger at the new CPS.

Can you compare the old & new sensors? Physically I mean, as you suspect there may be a mechanical difference if not an electrical one.

Unfortunately, the Bosch online catalogue seems to be mid-update at the moment, can't seem to access it, just an endless loop of redirects that end up back where I started......

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Given it didn't have the misfire issue before the CPS failed, and now does, (and assuming nothing else was changed), it kind of points the finger at the new CPS.

Can you compare the old & new sensors? Physically I mean, as you suspect there may be a mechanical difference if not an electrical one.

Unfortunately, the Bosch online catalogue seems to be mid-update at the moment, can't seem to access it, just an endless loop of redirects that end up back where I started......
hi chris, thanks for the reply, i reckon you are probably right, could be on a wild goose chase here, well bosch 0261210047, seems to be the replacement, and it looked identical to the original that was replaced, unless the cps failure in the first place caused some other "elctrical" issue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts