Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got a 1992 164 few weeks ago and there are some problems with it. I did ~500 kms on it and it runs ok, but it's time to sort them out. I'm new to alfa engines/drivetrains, so i'm asking for some advice
The engine is a 2.0 8v Twin Spark, manual. 170k kms on it.

1) oil level/pressure sensors
Oil level light on dashboard is always on. Cold/warm engine, no matter. Oil level is ok, previous owner changed oil (5w40) smth like 1500km ago. Just sensor problem?
Oil pressure gauge shows some strange stuff. On a cold engine, it goes up to ~4. When engine is warmed up, it shows zero at idle, goes up when revving. Oil pressure light is always on too. I asked the previous owner about it, he said he couldnt sort it out, just checked oil level by himself.

2) distinct clattering/rattling sound from somewhere under valve cover. warm/cold engine, sounds the same. not too loud, rhytmic, not hearable from inside of car. Timing chain problems or something more serious?

3) some grinding/rasping noise from somewhere in front. happens only in 2000-2200rpm interval, very distinct from inside of car. It happens on every gear, in neutral too, pressing the clutch doesnt help. However, this hapens only when i'm riding. If i stop the car, put it in neutral, and rev it to 2000, the sound is heard. rev it some minute later - no sound. Similiarly, there is no sound when i start engine and rev it to that rpms.

All of this problems were present when i bought the car, and after 500 kms there are no changes, the car still runs ok.
I'll also try to record and upload some videos with sounds of engine.

Sorry for my bad english, will appreciate any help!

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
My 164 TS had the same issues with the oil pressure warning light always lit and the oil pressure gauge acting the same as you describe. We plumbed in a mechanical gauge to check and true pressure was 80psi at warm idle so pretty good (for 180k mile engine).

I didn't bother to fix it but the gauge issue will almost certainly be the sender and probably not worth worrying about. The warning light should probably be fixed, most likely the sender but also check the wiring from the sender.

I've never seen an oil level light or gauge in a 164 so can't help there. As for the noises, maybe take the cam cover off and have a look. Also you could remove the aux drive belt and start the engine (briefly - it runs the water pump) to see if one or both of the noises is gone.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Regards your oil light issue, have a look at my recent thread just a few days ago on this subject.
I'll actually come back here and tell you exactly what to do to sort this out on your car and also some advice on your other issues. Give me a day or two to get the info and links together for you ?

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I'm not familiar with the 2 litre engine, but the oil presure sender looks very much like the V6 sender. They used to suffer from tiny diaphragm leakages (there's a diaphragm across the middle of it). After some years, the air space on the side closest to the yellow plug, is full of oil so the diaphragm can't move and the oil pressure appears to get less and less. Dead easy quick fix here:

Oil Pressure Sender Fix - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

I've done it on two of mine now.

The rasping sound might be an exhaust heat shield?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
"2) distinct clattering/rattling sound from somewhere under valve cover. warm/cold engine, sounds the same. not too loud, rhytmic, not hearable from inside of car. Timing chain problems or something more serious?"

..the timing chains have a long lifespan in these engines but they do need to be tensioned from time to time. I think it's an easy enough procedure if you know what you're doing..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts