Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All,

I have a problem with my 164 3.0 12 valve engine.

At lower revs ( untill ) 3000 it feels as if I get a ´push´in the back without stepping on the gas. The car does not do this always. Also sometimes when I want to take of after standing still the engine really protests and everything starts shaking.

Excuse me for my bad english.

All tips are very welcome. I already checked the hose behind the air meter,changed steppingmotor.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by jos:
<strong>Dear All,

I have a problem with my 164 3.0 12 valve engine.

At lower revs ( untill ) 3000 it feels as if I get a ´push´in the back without stepping on the gas. The car does not do this always. Also sometimes when I want to take of after standing still the engine really protests and everything starts shaking. Above 3000 revs everything seems perfect. Running idle the engine also behaves strange : Revs up and down between 500 and 2000 without touching the gas ! Strange thing is these problems happen now and than !?

Excuse me for my bad english.

All tips are very welcome. I already checked the hose behind the air meter,changed steppingmotor.</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

·
Registered
309 Posts
Maybe engine mounts. Has the roof lining on bonnet showing signs of wear and tearing ? If you rev hard while stationary does the gearshift move excessively ?

Also check and clean all hoses, connectors on the AFM assembly, plenum and vapour separator (back of plenum).

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello Michael.

Thanks for the tips ! I will check them out this Friday after work. I do not think the problems caused are related to the engine mounts.

I will change the AFM by a second hand one which I can borrow from a local Alfa mechanic to see if this can solve the problem.
But still it is strange when I am driving around at 3000 revs to feel this little push in the back. This only happens at a certain rev level. ( Always exactly around 3000! )

Anyway, I will check the hoses first. As my technical English is not so good I want to ask you what the ´plenum`is.

Kind regards,
Jos

·
Registered
309 Posts
From the big hose on the AFM keep going left and the large metal box connected to the shiny pipes is the plenum. If you have a leak of any hoses attached in that area it will be unmetered air, ie the ecu has not read it. Not a good thing.

Don't discount the engine mounts, bad ones cause excessive movement ( remember its a heavy lump of an engine) and can cause all sorts of problem, inc poor and erratic running.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello Michael,

I have checked all hoses in that area, but no result.....

I also changed the AFM but the problem is still there.

I do not think it is the spark plugs or the fuel pump because the problem does not occure above 3000 revs.

There is one more option : thes little black thing just beside this valve which opens if you step on the gas. Or maybe the injectors ??

Greetings Jos

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello,

Thank you for your tips !

Will check things out within next week !

Jos

1 - 9 of 9 Posts