Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been thinking about changing from 16" to 17” (or 18”) wheels. So I did my research on the forum looking for opinions on types/sizes etc. I’d pretty much made my mind up on 17” multispokes until I stumbled across (drunkenly) the other night an argument for keeping with 16” and getting decent tyres (Goodyear/Uniroyal etc). I have worn ditch finders on at the moment. Since that night I’ve tried to find that thread but no luck. (I think it was a post by chris155 but could be wrong!)

So here is my question-
Is there really that much difference, performance wise, between 16 and 17s that it would be worth sacrificing comfort on my daily commute?

I’m really in two minds as I like the look of my teledials and I know they are in good shape. I also like the look of the 17” multispokes but 2nd hand could be in poor shape!

Help :lol:

·
0 Posts
IMHO bigger wheels look better, but you do sacrifice some 'comfort' when fitting them - performance-wise there is little difference because the tyre profile decreases to keep the rolling radius the same

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I'm going to keep my 16s and splash out on tyres. So next question Goodyear F1s or Uniroyal?

The Rainsport 2 seems to come top of the ratings so think I may go for those. Anyone have any experience with the Uniroyals?

S

·
0 Posts
Stay with the 16s fella, when I changed to 16s I noticed that the car now feels more lighter on her wheels and now has sweeter handling :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
I think I'm going to keep my 16s and splash out on tyres. So next question Goodyear F1s or Uniroyal?

The Rainsport 2 seems to come top of the ratings so think I may go for those. Anyone have any experience with the Uniroyals?

I haven't as yet on an alfa.... But as soon as this set wears down, I can promise you that nothing else but Uniroyal's will be put straight on... Does that answer your question?

I swear by them.... My last 4 cars have had Uniroyal's on and all I can tell you is that they work and work well.
What amazed me was the fact that they grip even better in the wet than most tyres do in the dry, yet in the dry they still do the job... It's confidence inspiring.
Also consider just how many days it actually rains where you live and then you will see if it makes sense. There is nothing wrong with any tyres, just the fact that they are targeted towards "dry" performance.

The last set I bought lasted 21,000 miles on the front and 30,000 on the rear... Trust me, I don't hang about either:D

·
Registered
257 Posts
They were 480's if IIRC m8 but any vgroove that superseeded it will be just as good!

Oh... almost forgot... As far as alloy wheel sizes go.... As a general rule of thumb: the larger the diameter, the more weight is added to each corner!
A guy who had an Identical AXGT to me many years ago with same mods had fitted 17"s and I still had the original 14"s on.... Same rolling circumference though... I could still never undersatnd why he couldn't keep up with me at all speeds until we weighed his wheels in comparison to a standard alloy... It worked out as 6kg heavier per wheel/tyre ! 24kg total.... The car itself only produced 85bhp as standard so you can imagine the effect it has :lol:

Then the stupid sod fitted bigger brakes to... it ended up that he was carrying 40kg over standard weight... it still didn't sink in:rolleyes::lol:

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
Don't keep the 16's!!!!!

When I originally bought my 156 (exactly the same car as yours rich) it had 16's. I changed them to the 17" multispokes (original GTA) and went for pirelli p-zero nero's (215/45/17 iirc).

What a difference!!

I didn't notice any sacrifice in comfort but did notice you could actually go around corners without changing undies.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know Andy, there are a few 17s on ebay at the moment. I'll keep my eye on them and maybe bid if the price is right. It's the risk of getting egg shaped wheels that worries me!

·
Registered
37 Posts
However stick with 17's. I've changed to 18's (same make/model) and the ride comfort got significantly worse - not that it's back breaking but I'd definately prefer 17's with regards to comfort. I did however buy the 18's second hand so haven't got the same tyres I usually have. Also it seems slower, some due to weight surely and some to bigger circumference. I changed from 215-45-17 to 225-40-18.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Anyone have any experience with the Uniroyals?
Yes, I have 250/40 17 Uniroyals on and they're far better than the Falkens that they replaced. I was unsure about them before I bought them because I was looking for Avons but these are performing really well :thumbs:

·
Registered
15,637 Posts
Nevermind uniroyals or goodyears, get a set of Avon ZV5's. I usually had Goodyear eagle f1's (2 sets), but they didnt last long at all. Avon ZV5's, get them at my local tyre shop for 60 quid each fitted. Grip is excellent in the dry and as good as the goodyear
f1's in the wet. They aint nowhere near as noisy as the goodyear f1's either .

·
Registered
15,637 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I'm sure there are plenty of after market 17"'s out there that are lighter than the factory 16"'s?

I love the 17" 8c style alloys ay EB spares

1 - 20 of 35 Posts