Alfa Romeo Forum banner

16" or 17" the perfect wheel size?

1K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  montreal 
#1 ·
Currently I have the choice to chuck out the orginal 15" wheels on my 155 V6 skinny, I really would like to upgrade to the original Speedlines 16s but cant yet find a pair, the alternative is something bigger like this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....&category=28648&sspagename=STRK:MEBWA:IT&rd=1

Should I go for a 17" will they fit OK with a 40 offset?, Ive also been told the 17" track badly and upset the geometry.

Ultimately 16" or 17" that is the question.

Cheers

#2 ·
16''-The Speedlines are pricey even 2nd hand and only look good stood still,in motion their dark colour gives the impression you've got steels on and lost the hubcaps.Also tyre choice is restricted and liable to be more expensive than the more popular 17'' fitments.........HOWEVER :) They are proper 155 wheels and a set in good nick will get admiring glances at shows.
17''-More of a choice of styles BUT some folk choose some well nasty ones that do 155's no favours :eek: ,also a few issues with rubbing depending on your suspension set up.(and a few folk reckon the offset on 17''s can bugger yer bearings prematurely) :confused:

:cool: I'm happy with my original 15'' job's,they are like new and sit well on the purple bugger.....at 205/50/15 the basic dimensions are the same as a flash set of 205/40/17's and I've saved a grand(looked at a set of Khan RS-1's+tyres)that I can spend on beer instead :p

#3 ·
if i was you i'd borrow some 16"s for a day and see if you like them.

you might find that you dont like the extra weighted feel of the alrge wheels. they will tend to tramline a little more at speed and turn less easily.. it will also affect you rturning circle..

defo dont go for 17"s.. its a silly thing to do. more rotating mass to spin up when you want to get going, even more tramlining at speed and you'll look like you haev tried to get big wheels for the sake of it!

if you like driving and you like a car that handles, then stick with the 15 or 16 inch wheels.

what tyres do you currently have? if you get some new wheels get some goodyear eagle f1's to go with them..

if it was me, i'd go for some 16's..

L.

#4 ·
alfanutter said:
defo dont go for 17"s.. its a silly thing to do...and you'll look like you haev tried to get big wheels for the sake of it!
:)
...hmmm...don't agree with that comment at all...it all depends on
which wheels u go for...I've only ever had positive comments
about my 17" Kahn RSR's :p :p :p

...BUT the point about the handling and tracking is a fair one...mind u
there are ways to sort out the tracking

...however, gotta say again (even though it aint fer the traditionalists
amongst us)...a 40 lowered 155 sit's dandy on a good set of 17's :)

#5 ·
Gotta agree with Quinn here.

17 Inchers looks damn cool on a WB 155, especially when lowered. If you get some really good, upmarket, lightweight ones with good tyres, only prob you'll encounter is tramlining. Which you'll have with the speedlines aswell.

-- Hoygs

#6 ·
you'll tramline less with a smaller wheel.. also the width contributes to this.

meh what ever.. each to their own.. just cos i dont like the look doesnt meant that 99% of every one else doesnt.. i'm prolly just the other 1% that wants performance over looks.

L.

#7 ·
oh and if you want VERY light alloys i surgest (if your wallet is big enough and full of enough money) they you get some volk TE37's.

6.5kg per 17" rim!!!!! stick that in ya pipe and smoke it (damn no smoking smilie!!) :D (that'll have to do)

they are a jap wheel and come in many many sizes and pcd's etc..
around £1400 for a set of 4 and they are road wheels. made by rays engineering.

happy motoring.

L.

G
#8 ·
I've got a 155 with 15's and another with the 16" speedlines.........the 16's are soooo much better. Tyre movement on the 15's is easily felt, tramlining is no more noticeable. Only driven a 155 with 17's for a short while and didn't push it ('cos it was Henry's!).

wrinx

G
#9 ·
I have 17's on mine and although it seems a little more fidgetty on rougher roads is more than offset by the sheer grip and outstanding handling on smoother roads will put a grin on your face :D :D , and as far as weight is concerned my 17's weigh less than the original 15's it came with. :D

#10 ·
daiblack said:
I have 17's on mine and although it seems a little more fidgetty on rougher roads is more than offset by the sheer grip and outstanding handling on smoother roads will put a grin on your face
:D
...yup...with the bigger wheels and wider tyres u definitley get
a twitchy feel at low speeds...almost as if the steering wheel
is being nudged by a ghost :confused:

...BUT...THAT'S inevitable...

...however...the handling and grip at higher speeds is marvellous :)

I only ever REALLY lost control once at a traffic island in the wet
under HARD acceleration (scary, but exhilerating, moment)... :eek: :eek: :eek: :tut:
(MANY other minor incidents...BUT never out of complete control ;) )

...otherwise, it's stuck to the road like caked on Bovril ;)

#11 ·
alfanutter said:
oh and if you want VERY light alloys i surgest (if your wallet is big enough and full of enough money) they you get some volk TE37's.

6.5kg per 17" rim!!!!! stick that in ya pipe and smoke it (damn no smoking smilie!!) :D (that'll have to do)

L.
OZ Superleggera 7"x17" 6.9kg these are actually quite cheap for such weight

std GTA 7.5"x17" 11.4kg
optional GTA 7.5"x17" 10.8kg
Selespeed 7"x17" 10.75kg

#12 ·
Well I still have to get a WB 155... No other car (except 156 GTA) has put such a smile on my face as a WB 155 2.0 TS 16v Sport Pack with the anthracite 16".... It's simply fantastic ;) And the roads here in Portugal are very far from smooth... It seems glued to the ground with fantastic feeling...

All the Best

Sérgio

#14 ·
not had the joy of a gta yet but i can believe that lighters wheels would not only help the gta to corner and combat understeer.. but it might aid the dredded traction loss of the front wheel drive :(

if you make the wheels lighter then you are able to put more of the power to the road rather than using it to turn your wheels. i dont know how much spin you get from a gta as i have never used one but i can imagine that you would get quite a lot with the tcs turned off. maybe this is why the alloys are so heavey??

that or alfa are too lazy to spend some extra cash on their alloys and thus just used existing alloy technology to build the gta wheels? thus being able to spend the cost of the car on the engine etc rather than fancy wheels?

L.
p.s.
just done a bit of reasearch.. the new superleggera 3 is lighter for size than the volk te37. how times change eh.. shame the smallest size the 3's come in is 18".

G
#15 ·
I think most manufacturers O.E alloy wheels are a little on the chunky side to make them a bit more durable in everyday use, what with all the potholes and speed calming measures to dodge I suppose it makes sense for them to put on wheels that they aren't going to have to replace under warranty all the time. :rolleyes:

#17 ·
speed freak said:
So does a 70-80 lowered with 16" speedlines ;) :p :p see how low can you go in the 155 tech room for a couple of pics :D :D

...just had a look at that Thread...interesting :) :D

...I've had a little bother with rubbing on the inside of the
wheel arches...but NOT too much... :eek: (whatever THAT means) :rolleyes: ...

...saw a real nice parked up black 155 lowered on 16" Speeds t'other day...I stopped to gawk at it (gave it the once over)...hoping the
owner would emerge and ask wtf I was doing...he NEVER did :( :D

#18 ·
Must be sumat to do with 17"s then as the 16"s dont rub at all even when its on its arse :p :p

Btw the owner probably never emerged coz he thought you were a right rogue and was trying to nick his motor :p :p especially if you had the Quiff out :eek: :p :cheese:

#20 ·
speed freak said:
Must be sumat to do with 17"s then as the 16"s dont rub at all even when its on its arse :p :p

Btw the owner probably never emerged coz he thought you were a right rogue and was trying to nick his motor :p :p especially if you had the Quiff out :eek: :p :cheese:

Quite right, Speedy, quite right :D ...although he also may have sensed
my superior tehnical knowledge and thought that he'd just embarrass
himself if we got into conversation about the widgets :eek: :eek: :lol:

...btw...the quiff is a 155 sensor...it stands to attention whenever
there's one within 50 yards ;)

#21 ·
I have a 'naked fit girl' detector that does the same thing...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.