Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello folks,

We're looking at buying a low mileage 159SW 2.0JTDM soon!

Just trying to decide between a TI or not TI.

The non-TI we are looking at has done a paltry 10,000 miles, and is a 61 plate (plenty of Alfa warranty). It's only a 136 bhp but I'm sure could be remapped.

The TI we're looking at has done 28,000 miles, is a 10 plate, is a 170bhp but costs £1000 more, which is right at the top of our budget, so no spare money for remap/DPF delete. The dealer (Mangos) is a long way from us, so if it's a dealer only warranty, that warranty is not much use to us.

We've test driven a TI 170, and it was great. We haven't tested a non-TI because there are so few around of the late model ones (we will try to test the one we are looking at but it's a long way away and we're running out of free weekends before our new baby arrives!)

So the questions is, is there a big difference in ride and handling between the TI and non TI?

Would you always take a TI even it if meant going without a warranty and having a car that's done 18,000 miles more?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
For me, I'd want a TI because I know I'd end up wanting all the bits to give it the TI look and it's cheaper to do that at source!

I don't think I'd be that worried at under 30k on a diesel.

But it's easy to make sweeping decsions when it's not your cash!

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
£15.5 k is quite a lot for a 10 plate, sure you could negotiate some discount? Might be worth doing a search on here about this Dealer too...

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good point - though the car isn't for me, it's for the wife :cool:

I'd still have my super evil V8 M3 (which, as it's M division, is a bit like having the most modded car you can have) and a nice motorbike for commuting. So I daresay I wouldn't bother modding the wife's car (other than remap to get it to 170+bhp and possible DPF/EGR deletion).

The only thing that would bother me is if the handling is noticeably poorer on the non-TI models that the TIs, i.e. body roll and pitching.

What do people think of the handling on their post 2008 non-TI 159s?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Not sure if you should get a non Ti (is that another word for the lovely Lusso :cheese:) if you really want a Ti.

No doubt though the Lusso is more practical and better value though and to me the handling on my 2010 non-Ti is fine - very surefooted and agile and noticeably better than my 06 non-Ti.

It might be the place that is selling the Ti that would swing me against that one though:(

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks that's useful - we're not hell bent on a TI lookswise, it's just that we test drove a TI and liked the ride and handling. So we just want to know that a non-TI isn't going to handle and ride noticeably worse than a TI, which it sounds like it isn't!

I've heard a lot of -ves about that seller recently, which is a shame because back in 2009 when John Ferrari was there, they were quite good.

The only other seller with lots of TI SWs is Veloces but after going there my wife decided we're definitely not buying a car from them and I don't really blame her.

So maybe the way forward definitely is the non-TI - it's under Alfa warranty so if any issues show up, we could take it to HWM Alfa. They seem to have a decent rep and are about 10 mins drive from us :)

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
The late model Ti is a bit of a swizz, no leather, funny black trim, cheapened a lot over the first batch. No contest on the original batch, but later ones.......

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It would be a later model, not one of the original run of Special edition TIs. The cars we are looking at are all '10 to '61 plates.

I agree that the TIs will hold value better than non-TIs. The trouble is that to get a TI, we'd have to fork out an extra grand to get a TI with no warranty and higher mileage than the non TI.

It's quite a decision to make.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
It would be a later model, not one of the original run of Special edition TIs. The cars we are looking at are all '10 to '61 plates.

I agree that the TIs will hold value better than non-TIs. The trouble is that to get a TI, we'd have to fork out an extra grand to get a TI with no warranty and higher mileage than the non TI.

It's quite a decision to make.
If it didn't have the leather or the 19" wheels I'd lose interest fast.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The TIs we're looking at do all have 19s and leather. The much cheaper newer non-TI has leather and 17s. Actually I think 18s look fine (and are better for ride and tyre price).

We've found another TI, with roof rails this time. It's a 10 plate so not clear if it's under warranty though.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Where do you live. What is the speed bump situation.
I have a 1750 TBi TI and it's a royal pain living in central London with all of the speed bumps. I have to slow right down to less than 10mph to get over most of them without scraping.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Surrey, near Kingston. Only a few speed bumps around here and they are mostly the type that go all the way across the road, so not a problem for low clearance. But I'm pretty sure the Tbi has a lower engine pan than all the other 159s, hence the scraping.

By the way, if you replace your springs with Eibachs your car will scrape the bumps a LOT less, despite actually riding slightly lower. I did it on my Brera and there's a big thread about it here. The springs are now discontinued (because there are no new cars) and selling out so best to get in while you can:

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-159-brera-and-946-spider/382289-eibach-pro-springs.html

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Surrey, near Kingston. Only a few speed bumps around here and they are mostly the type that go all the way across the road, so not a problem for low clearance. But I'm pretty sure the Tbi has a lower engine pan than all the other 159s, hence the scraping.

By the way, if you replace your springs with Eibachs your car will scrape the bumps a LOT less, despite actually riding slightly lower. I did it on my Brera and there's a big thread about it here. The springs are now discontinued (because there are no new cars) and selling out so best to get in while you can:

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-159-brera-and-946-spider/382289-eibach-pro-springs.html
I'm Surrey near Kingston. I have the Tbi engine in a Ti Sportwagon. The only combination I didn't test before buying. And yes, the (Tbi) bulge underneath the Exhaust pipe catches everything.

But I drove a lot of Non Ti cars and in the end I preferred the tight damping of the the Ti. The others seemed to rattle over large pot holes. I didn't want the lowered look and wheels and would have happily taken the Lusso with a light and less sculptured interior. In the end the suspension was the deciding factor. And I don't mind paying for Pirellis.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Blimey fella,

Can't really understand why your asking this?

5k+ posts so you know the script between Ti and None Ti and you know the script about Mangos.

The only answer you are really going to be happy with is buy a Ti from someone that's not Mangos (or Veloces as the Mrs doesn't like them)

Spend a bit more time looking, You must have the money burning a hole in your pocket, but just wait for the right car......

My advice is don't buy a non Ti you obviously won't be happy with it, Don't buy a Ti from Mangos, you already know the aftercare will leave you upset, I don't know your wifes reasons for not buying from Veloces but you've got to take that into account.

Sit tight for a bit, something will come up, which you'll be over the moon with and will tick all the boxes.

just my 2c's

(Which I wish I'd taken heed of when I rushed into buying my lusso)

Axe

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very useful, thanks OE. That's what I suspected about the suspension. Whereabouts are you? We're in Esher/Claygate.

Axeman, yeah problem is we are running out of time. New baby arrives around about 2nd Sept and we have only 2 free weekends left to sort the car out (including selling ours). Beleive it or not the Kuga is a bit too small for 2 adults, 2 child seats and a labrador. The boot just isn't big enough and the cabin won't really accomodate a dog (neither in between the child seats nor in the front passenger footwell like you can in a Brera/Spider/159).

As for TI or non TI, I'm not hell bent on it as it's the wife's car ;) I'll still have my v8 and motorbike.

HOWEVER we have finally found one reasonable TI that's not at Mangos or Veloces. The problem in general is that Veloces have been hoovering up all the SWTIs in London, they've got at least half a dozen at any one time.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Just like to say, I bought my 159ti from Mangos 3.5 years ago and have had excellent aftersales and warranty back up from them. Not disputing other people have had problems, but I have had 3 services done by them, modifica, warranty work and about to get the cam belt & water pump done. I will be trying to buy a 61 plate ti from them next year as well.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Might be worth researching when the Ti was sold before negotiating the price - the final Ti Sportswagons were sold outside the Alfa network at REALLY bargain prices. I seem to recall pre-reg ones at around £17-18k tops with Lusso saloons as low as £14k. Might give you some bargaining chips.

And unless your other half is a high miler, you may as well go for the Ti. You could get much of the £1000 back if you part-ex the wheels and tyres for 18s these days. You can't go far to remap the 140 without spending extra cash on turbos etc. Just remember the cost of tyres.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
We bought a 159 SW Ti at the end of last year; it's a 2011 JTDm 170 and had covered less than 5,000 miles in 15 months. The car has now covered almost 14,000 miles and, apart from the passenger mirror not folding (fixed under warranty), it has been problem free.

I certainly haven't had any issues over speed bumps and even the mini Mount Everest ones near a mates house haven't been a problem.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts