Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 159 1.9jtdm which overall I am very pleased with apart from some very minor faults. The car has been returned to the large East Midlands dealer it came from 3 times to sort these out but I get the impression they can't be bothered to investigate them properly:

1. There is a high pitched whistle from the drivers door at speeds over 65mph. I have tried masking the mirror and window seals but it seems to make no difference at all. Other postings have suggested door seals or bulkhead. Has anyone sucessfully cured this?

2. Rattle from the centre vent area in the dashboard once the car is warm. The dealer has replaced the top windscreen seal but the rattle definately seems to be from within the dash. Is there an easy way to get to / cure it?

3. Clutch clonk with engine running, mentioned in many other postings. The dealer has told me this is a 'characteristic' of the car although not present on the other courtesy cars they have lent me! I am learning to live with this but it is still unacceptable for a virtually new car in this price bracket.

I intend to take the car to my local Alfa dealer next time but any suggestions to point them in the right direction would be appreciated?:confused:

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Chris Variava by any chance? Always found them good but think some of the JD Power follow up surveys haven't been too positive. What's important is as a new dealer, they need constructive feedback to improve. The service manager is on here (Nottsalfa) and is a decent chap. Get back onto them, either Darren or Phil Skinner;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
I too have some sound (rattle / creak) from drivers door at +60mph in dry conditions only. I've had my '07 159 1.9 JTDm for only 6 weeks bought from Alfa at Stoke. After giving a weeks notice, last week they had it for a day to 'fix' the issue, lent me a lovely 159 ti whilst 'fixing' it.
Collected my car and said thanks at 16:00hrs. At 16:10 I was driving at speed listening to the same noise and called them up. I had to leave a message. At 16:55 I called back as no one called me back, I was told that the manager would call me either last thing tonight or first thing in the morning. At 10:30 the next morning I had to call again this time demanding to speak with the manager. Back in next week ( I have to wait again to get the benefit of a courtesy car).
Not the best of company / customer care, by a long shot....but, I have fallen in love with my machine....for now - i just want rid of the rattle:mad:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately my nearest Alfa dealer is probably the one in Stoke. If Strid's experience is anything to go by they may not be much of an improvement! Has anyone used Guest's Birmingham for this type of warranty work or can anyone particularly recommend a dealer in the West / North Midlands area?

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Guest's in Knowle seemed to have upped their game recently and Platt's of Longtone, Stoke seemed pretty good too.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have an 07 159 1.9jtdm which overall I am very pleased with apart from some very minor faults. The car has been returned to the large East Midlands dealer it came from 3 times to sort these out but I get the impression they can't be bothered to investigate them properly:

1. There is a high pitched whistle from the drivers door at speeds over 65mph. I have tried masking the mirror and window seals but it seems to make no difference at all. Other postings have suggested door seals or bulkhead. Has anyone sucessfully cured this?
I can help you with this one. I had a faint whistle and I too couldn't work it out initially. I discovered that pre 2008 cars suffered with it more. It is to do with a poor seal of the door mirror to the car and the hollow casing, it creates a whistle while travelling at 60mph +. They introduced some packing into the mirror mount on later cars which also helped to solve it. Mine was faint because the rubber seal wasn't fitted properly, it's an easy fix.

I have been using Guest in Knowle, they are generally very helpful and would recommend them.

They are fully aware of the wing mirror whistle so should sort yours no sweat. The dash creak sounds very much like the outer windscreen/roof seal, do a search for windscreen creak, there is plenty of info on here. Again, I had spoken to Guest about it and they have a lube that they can spray under it for you, I've never had the problem, but I was just quizing them to see how clued up they are ;)

Never had any problems with my clutch, so I guess it's down to the dealer to investigate.

Good Luck :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Ive had similar issues with Variava, mine included a 160 mile round trip everytime as they also had to fix non-warranty stuff that was wrong with the car when i bought it.... I still had the majority of the issues after three trips. These have all since been succesfully diagnosed by other dealer but not necessarily all cured once and for all, unfortunalty.

I had the wind noise after i had issue with the electric mirrors and they had been on and off a few times, they adjusted it and its fine now..... you could see a gap on mine between the wing mirror housing and the door seal.

I have the clutch clunk issue too, there are several things which are on this site that it could be, 1 a bracket near the drive shaft, and 2. an internal gearbox part (i read this on a post last week, so should be able to find it if you search.

The thing that annoys me is that people on here and other forums know the common faults but the dealers (seemingly) dont and if you suggest a fix they dont seem to agree or go off on another tangent and still the customer has the issue....

Alfa UK please get your dealers to talk to you and share information with them, we like our cars and fortunatly for you most of us put up with the niggles but when you ignore us or deny obvious issues it just winds us up and tarnishes the experience so please hold your hands up to the problems and get it sorted instead of fobbing us off!

·
Registered
498 Posts
I too have some sound (rattle / creak) from drivers door at +60mph in dry conditions only. . . .
I had a rattle which sounded like a loose cable in the doors, which appeared only, when going faster than about 60 mph. In my case it came from the plastic panels in the front wheel arches. After I found that myself I told my garage and they glued some kind of rubber band in the gap between plastic and wheel arch, which works fine.
You can test that by pushing a folded piece of paper or something in there and see if that helps.

A quick and dirty picture, to show the area, that I mean:

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for all the very useful information it does seem the wind noise may be down to the mirror. I will book it in at Guests as they seem to get a fairly good write up on this and other postings. I will also check the wheel arch liner as suggested by AndreasM as well.

Re: Johns159 reply it sounds that you've had as many fruitless long return journeys with your car as I have. Still I suppose it is comforting to know I'm not a alone in this! I also agree with your comment; it is very frustrating when you know full well a dealer must deal with these common faults all the time yet are reluctant to admit there is an issue and seem to want to avoid doing any work to rectify them. I wonder if they get paid for each return warranty visit for the same problem?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Hi Bako,

Budgen (Shrewsbury, East side) might be out of your way but its quite easy to get too as its out of town-ish. I use them as they are easiest and quickest to get too for me now and they have sorted most of the issues straight away....

I have been using them since i had the issues with travelling back and forth to Variava ( i got the mileage wrong by the way as they would lend me a car and i would come home for 3-4hrs and then go back so it was more like 320 every time it went in!!! which of course i was paying the fuel for!)

·
Registered
32,440 Posts
I also have this wind whistle noise so thanks for the info on this everyone :thumbs:

·
Registered
879 Posts
I had a rattle coming from the centre vent; it turned out to be a loose nut on the passenger airbag mounting!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just a quick update, before booking my car in with another dealer I decided to have a look this morning and managed to cure the dash rattle!

I removed the top centre dash vent which is secured by two allen head screws at the back. Remove these and it will then come out if you lever up at one edge first to release the retaining clips.

After some experimenting I found that by wedging some sound insulating foam between the heater duct tube and the internal top of the dash on the left side, the rattle disappeared. I'm hoping this will be a permanent fix :)

Still working on the whistle from the drivers door though, it may have to be booked in for this.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Just a quick update, before booking my car in with another dealer I decided to have a look this morning and managed to cure the dash rattle!

I removed the top centre dash vent which is secured by two allen head screws at the back. Remove these and it will then come out if you lever up at one edge first to release the retaining clips.

After some experimenting I found that by wedging some sound insulating foam between the heater duct tube and the internal top of the dash on the left side, the rattle disappeared. I'm hoping this will be a permanent fix :)

Still working on the whistle from the drivers door though, it may have to be booked in for this.
It feels good to find a solution huh!:)

Don't even bother trying with the door mirror whistle, get the dealer to do it :thumbs:

·
Registered
188 Posts
If it's any help, I had a whistling coming from the passenger door of my 56 plate GT which they are fixing without any fuss under warranty by re-hanging the door and replacing the door seal. I don't know if the same applies to the 159s, but you shouldn't have any problem getting it fixed under warranty either way: I can't fault the service at my local dealership at all!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I took my car to Guests Willenhall in the end. They had my car for 3 days, replaced the drivers door mirror, tightened a loose nut in the dash and even managed to cure the clutch creak by taking off some of the footwell panels and lubricating the clutch link to the master cylinder. This was all done in one visit and apart from the ocassional rattle from the dash when cold all the problems have been cured.

A very much better level of service than I received from the supplying East Midlands dealer who had my car back 3 times and seemed to do nothing to it at all. This dealer also told me the clutch creak was a characteristic and could not be cured!

I won't hesitate to use or recommend Guests again in the future:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
whistling mirrors

I've just bought a GT and had a dreadful high pitched whistling above 40mph - I searched on here and found this thread mainly relating to the 159. I applied the solution that seemed the easiest to fix and it worked: Removed the trim for the door mirror, blocked up the hole to the mirror housing with masking tape and it's completely fixed it. There is a redundant screw hole which appears to be the culprit.

Hope this is of use to fellow sufferers as the car is great, but the whistling was driving me mad.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts