Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a problem with the wheel bearings on their 159? I am getting the telltale wubwubwub sound from one of the back wheels.

Is there an easy way of telling which wheel it might be, and if it is infact the bearing? Also, if it is should it be covered by the warranty?

If not what kind of money are we talking to replace?

Thanks

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Should be covered under warranty, but unusual if the bearing has gone. In fact I don't think there has been a report on here of a bearing failure. How many miles have you done :confused:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Car is just shy of 30k . I thought it was a bit soon. Could I be mistaking it for something else?
Would an unballanced wheel make a similar noise? Don't think its Tyre noise as it very cleary varies with speed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've bought 159 month ago with the bearing gone,there was clear sound r-r-r on low speed,the best way to find out which side is to put some smart guy at the back seat to listen.By the way,mine has 70k on the clock.bearing itself cost me if I remember right about 180 euro(its a bearing with the hub in one piece),cost of labor depends on the garage you'll call in.Another option in your case can be brake discs and pads rubbing sound,if you have changed brake pads recently,or brake disc deformation.Thats my suggestions,maybe it helps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just changed pads, and now i hear a sound at higher speeds >90 km/h.
If its the pads - will it go away over time, or is there any fix?
Thank you

·
Registered
11,159 Posts
Car is just shy of 30k . I thought it was a bit soon. Could I be mistaking it for something else?
Would an unballanced wheel make a similar noise? Don't think its Tyre noise as it very cleary varies with speed.
I had a flat spotted back wheel when I picked up my159 sounded for all the world like a bearing change tyre silence! get car up on jack and turn wheel off the road no noise not bearing.:thumbs:

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
I had a flat spotted back wheel when I picked up my159 sounded for all the world like a bearing change tyre silence! get car up on jack and turn wheel off the road no noise not bearing.:thumbs:
Yes, this time of year with the potholes I would swap the wheels round to check its not rim or tyre damage before suspecting the bearing

·
Registered
69 Posts
Agree with swapping the wheels over but mine has just munched two nearside rear bearings in 6K miles, so they are not unknown to fail. The noise in mine was most noticeable between 30-40mph and worse when cold. Try driving round some tightish corners at 40mph to load up the wheel and it should be easier to detect which side the noise is coming from. Unless it's badly worn it's unlikely to make a noise unless loaded so jacking up may not work.....

·
Registered
319 Posts
I had the same symptom on my 159 TI at 32k miles. The rear tyres were shot on the inside edge and flat spotted in a couple of areas. when they took them off and rolled them across the floor the source of the noise was obvious to say the least. They tyres were more egg shapped than round.

·
Registered
116 Posts
This is an old one, but my father-in-law drove my car over the weekend and maintains that there's a worn-bearing-noise coming from the car. I had been attributing it to crappy Accelera tyres. I can hear a whump-whump-whump from the car at speeds between 50kmph and about 85/90, not above really, and particularly when taking roundabouts at speed. The bearings on my Puma were €17 apiece, and I bought a bearing puller to remove the old ones; I was pretty shocked to discover my 159 ones will be €120 a side! They do include new hubs and ABS sensors I suppose, but what a waste! It's only some bloody ball bearings and I'm looking a chucking out perfectly good attached parts.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I had the same symptoms on my SW

I took it in and they replaced a rear bearing under warranty but it didn't really fix the noise. (it was worse on roundabouts, and sounded exactly like a wheel bearing)

I had an MOT a couple of weeks later (at a different garage) and they identified an out of shape tyre on the back (same corner with the new wheel bearing)

Changed the tyre, noise gone.

Axe

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
When you spin the wheel hold onto the coil spring and you will feel which one is rough, the coil spring amplifies the roughness of a failing bearing.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
This is an old one, but my father-in-law drove my car over the weekend and maintains that there's a worn-bearing-noise coming from the car. I had been attributing it to crappy Accelera tyres. I can hear a whump-whump-whump from the car at speeds between 50kmph and about 85/90, not above really, and particularly when taking roundabouts at speed. The bearings on my Puma were €17 apiece, and I bought a bearing puller to remove the old ones; I was pretty shocked to discover my 159 ones will be €120 a side! They do include new hubs and ABS sensors I suppose, but what a waste! It's only some bloody ball bearings and I'm looking a chucking out perfectly good attached parts.
I've had a new pair of acceleras (just because they're so cheap) put on last week, and they have the noise you describe. REALLY DISAPPOINTED. The last set were silent, but on a plus side the last set squealed round every bend and had little grip, where as these don't sqeal at all and grip pretty well. Noisy as hell though

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Strange. Normally when you put a new set of tyres on the car goes quiet. Not because the tyres are better, just the old ones develop noise as they age. So you'll see comments on here when even Acceleras are quoted as quiet after Pirellis. But the comparison is void because the Pirellis are end of life.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts